Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

So you got the bug? Can't stop reading about knives? Can't stop buying those knives?

What in the world got you started?

Tags: addiction, collecting, hobby, knife, start

Views: 3500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It started for me with a SAK, that I used for whittling some fishing lures/ plugs, about twenty five years ago, slowly realised there was a whole world of better whittling tools to use, my next knife was an Opinel which gave me a love of carbon blades and then some Spanish folders picked up on holiday. It all got more serious when I started making banjos, after a couple of months of whittling a banjo neck from black walnut with a Bowie knife, I was ready to look for some more wood/ craft designed blades. A good friend of mine gave me a small hand forged, Norweigan blade that I fitted on an old bread knife handle. This had a Scandinavia ground blade and was the sharpest knife I'd ever carved with, in some ways it changed my aesthetic of knives. Over the last two years My interest has developed considerably, I have lately been using and rapidly acquiring Mora knives. I still use a wide range of open and folding knives for whittling and art work. Some of my work has been inspired by my grandfathers fishing needles and marlon spikes, this has lured me over to acquire some nautical folders and seamans knives. In short it's a balance of form, function and the idea of specific use. It took me a Long time to get past the plastic aesthetic of the Moras, after using something that works so well though does change your opinion.

Got a old Anvil,USA stockman for Christmas from my Dad. It was a using knife, and I lost it after a few years. It was replaced by a Case 6347 , a 1978 model 2 dot, whose steel was soft and it would not hold an edge long. I was down on Case XX , and buddy at work suggested the Eye Brand #350. Needless to say after I purchased a stag one from Glenn Wilkens of Parsons, Tn , the local Bulldog and Fightin Rooster dealer, I was hooked on good sharp using knifes. A while later I purchased a stag Case XX 5347,a 1950's model, it was thin, light weight and would stay sharp unlike the late 1970's model! I was looking for funtional use ,much more than collectibility. The first collectors knife I purchased was in 1977, it was a NEW YORK KNIFE CO. Hammer Brand Barlow, at the local junk store, marked $18 , I paid $15 for it, after a $12 dollar initial offer and a little haggling!

I like that story Craig it is amazing how some families do collect together.

Craig Henry said:

My son's stories..........

...after I got into serious knife collecting about 36 or so years ago, my two sons got interested too. Both of them started to collect Parker-Frost and Parker knives. They kept on buying knives mainly for using, so now their collection is a collection of using knives of all brands and types.

My wife.....Cass, started to collect too when I got serious about it. She had a rather large collection of Parker-Frost and Parker Abalone handled knives. She sold the whole collection off a number of years ago. Now she just has a few using knives, but has input about what I should get, so, I guess you could say we collect together. 

A family that collects knives together, stays together. (We've been married for just over 44 years)

Sometimes it is that way, a grandfather just passes some knives on. I have done it in some way, giving my sons some knives to see what they like. Thanks for your story.

Luke said:

Through the years though I have been given many knives that are very old.  My grandfather gave me one that he used around his wood shop at home, others came from a neighbor that passed away and his wife was going to throw them away.  They are nothing special really.  No "name" attached to them.  However I became fascinated with the history they might have.  What purpose did they serve those who used them before me?  Since then I've gathered all that I own and hope to one day pass on that wonder with the knives I've used.  I didn't realize I was collecting until I had seen them all together and really admired the different shapes and sizes and materials used.  Now I'm hooked on the look of my current knife made by Schrade. It's the Uncle Henry 153UH.

Golden Spike?

Craig Henry said:

I think that's how a good number of guys got started...by just buying using knives over a period of time. That's the way I did pretty much.

I always liked the good old Golden Spike.

Sounds like you had an evolution Drew, gradually shifting to better whittlers. Thank you a great story!

Drew Webster said:

It started for me with a SAK, that I used for whittling some fishing lures/ plugs, about twenty five years ago, slowly realised there was a whole world of better whittling tools to use, my next knife was an Opinel which gave me a love of carbon blades and then some Spanish folders picked up on holiday. It all got more serious when I started making banjos, after a couple of months of whittling a banjo neck from black walnut with a Bowie knife, I was ready to look for some more wood/ craft designed blades. A good friend of mine gave me a small hand forged, Norweigan blade that I fitted on an old bread knife handle. This had a Scandinavia ground blade and was the sharpest knife I'd ever carved with, in some ways it changed my aesthetic of knives. Over the last two years My interest has developed considerably, I have lately been using and rapidly acquiring Mora knives. I still use a wide range of open and folding knives for whittling and art work. Some of my work has been inspired by my grandfathers fishing needles and marlon spikes, this has lured me over to acquire some nautical folders and seamans knives. In short it's a balance of form, function and the idea of specific use. It took me a Long time to get past the plastic aesthetic of the Moras, after using something that works so well though does change your opinion.

Wow that's interesting Rick, started on an old Anvil USA Stockman! Not many people will begin their story there! Thanks for yours.

Rick Hooper said:

Got a old Anvil,USA stockman for Christmas from my Dad. It was a using knife, and I lost it after a few years. It was replaced by a Case 6347 , a 1978 model 2 dot, whose steel was soft and it would not hold an edge long. I was down on Case XX , and buddy at work suggested the Eye Brand #350. Needless to say after I purchased a stag one from Glenn Wilkens of Parsons, Tn , the local Bulldog and Fightin Rooster dealer, I was hooked on good sharp using knifes. A while later I purchased a stag Case XX 5347,a 1950's model, it was thin, light weight and would stay sharp unlike the late 1970's model! I was looking for funtional use ,much more than collectibility. The first collectors knife I purchased was in 1977, it was a NEW YORK KNIFE CO. Hammer Brand Barlow, at the local junk store, marked $18 , I paid $15 for it, after a $12 dollar initial offer and a little haggling!

I have been asking myself the same question. Although I have owned and carried slip joints for many years, mostly case and buck, some sort of knife acquisition virus has recently taken hold. I think that it probably started with making it a practice to give them as gifts to my children over the last several christmas's. Along the way, I think I figured out that knives are a great example of a craft that still builds something of beauty that is functional and carries the mark of the hands that made them. The classic slip joint folders and the newer designs of spyderco and benchmade remind me that American ingenuity and craftsmanship are still with us. Despite all of that mush, I still can't explain the compulsion to buy more than I need. Never having been bitten by the collecting bug before, except maybe for shotguns, I can only guess - but it sure is a lof of fun.

Fun? Yep, it sure is.

I agree!

Great story Bill, almost sounds like you started later and kind of backed into it. Well it is fun and it can be exciting if you find the right thing to really get you going. For some our folks its a custom knife that they will talk about for several days. Other times its a vintage knife, an old Case or an Imperial or a Camillus. Some like traditional pocket knives like trappers or stockman. Maybe for some its Victronix or an Opinel. For others its the thrill of an auto or a tactical knife that snaps open for duty, yet others prefer fixed blades in all shapes, sizes, handles  or steels. Its quite amazing really and we run the gamut here.

Here is your challenge and I hold this out to all our new members....you find what really gets "the fire within" going and we promise we will support you no matter what it is. Somewhere along the way you will find a like minded collector and you will enjoy the hobby like never before, deeply and fully and with knowledge. Good luck and I hope for you....the fire starts!

Bill Beatty said:

I have been asking myself the same question. Although I have owned and carried slip joints for many years, mostly case and buck, some sort of knife acquisition virus has recently taken hold. I think that it probably started with making it a practice to give them as gifts to my children over the last several christmas's. Along the way, I think I figured out that knives are a great example of a craft that still builds something of beauty that is functional and carries the mark of the hands that made them. The classic slip joint folders and the newer designs of spyderco and benchmade remind me that American ingenuity and craftsmanship are still with us. Despite all of that mush, I still can't explain the compulsion to buy more than I need. Never having been bitten by the collecting bug before, except maybe for shotguns, I can only guess - but it sure is a lof of fun.

I have no idea other than just thinking they were cool!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service