Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

(Above a variety of equal end penknives by Camillus, Boker, Victorinox, and Rough Rider)

Among knife collectors a pen knife normally refers to knife patterns which have blades that open from both ends of the knife.  A Jack knife normally refers to knives that have a blade or blade that open only from the top of the knife.  This means a wide variety of knives can be classified as penknives.

The equal-end penknife, however, refers to a particular type of penknife (we'll get to that in a little bit). Originally the term penknife did not even refer to a folding pocket knife! The original pen knives were small scalpel like fixed blade knives that were used to turn large feathers into writing quills or pens.

By the 17th and 18th century, the early fixed blade  penknives had small blades, perhaps two inches long, sometimes with a slight curve similar to a hawkbill or wharncliffe blade.  The handles on these knives were simple wood dowels about 3 to 4 inches long.

At the beginning of 18th century, British cutlers began making penknives that had sliding blades that could be slid back into the handles.  By the middle of the century they began making penknives with blades that folded into the handle.  The blades on these folding knives were between 1 and 2 inches long while the handles were around 3 to 4 inches.

As people became more literate and the need for penknives exploded.  By the 19th century, cutlers were making penknives that the average person could afford but also more elaborate versions for the well to do.

The folding penknife proved to be a very popular and also very common knife.  The standard pattern we have today probably dates to the late 18th century.  It features  3 ¼ inch an equal-end slim oblong handle with a spear master blade measuring approximately 2 ½   inches and secondary pen blade that is approximately 1 ¼  inches long.  The smaller blade, the pen blade was used in preparing the large feather, typically taken from the left wing of a large goose.  The writer would use the pen blade to remove the barbs and after feather to create a barrel where they could grasp the quill or hollow shaft of the feather.  The writer would then cut the proper angle at the tip and cut the nib into the quill; which would allow the ink to flow properly.   The larger spear blade was not actually used for making or adjusting pens but was actually a fruit blade and used for general utility.  So in reality the larger blade was actually the original secondary blade!

Around the same time, the graphite pencil came of age. This added to the popularity of the penknife as it was an ideal instrument to carve the wood barrels of the new writing implements. 

Soon after the equal end penknife became standardized the new dip pen was invented and quill pens became slowly lost favor. The dip pen was a small ready-made pen tip that was dipped into a bowl of ink similar to the way the quill pen was used.  The difference of course is it did not wear out quickly nor did you need a blade to shape it as they were usually made of bone or a soft metal such as brass.

While the original purpose of the penknife is a thing of the past, the usefulness of the simple design has lived on.  In short its simplicity of design and small compact design made it a perfect companion for the pocket, especially as society switched from largely agrarian to more urban environments.  These small nimble knives were lightweight and barely noticeable in the pocket and still capable of doing the lighter cutting chores of the leisure gentleman. 

By the 19th century, reliable pocket knives became affordable and the penknife soon had a bail added  and became the perfect watch fob.  And as knife makers sought even more opportunities to increase sales, the concept of using the simple knife for advertising also kept the pattern alive. Today, equal-end penknives continue to be made primarily as novelties.  When it comes to collecting knives, equal-end penknives are a terrific option as they come in virtually every price range!  This means that even collectors on a budget can find  unique equal-end penknives they can afford.  So let’s see some equal-end penknives!

Above: The Victorinox Pocket Pal, a modern equal-end penknife with a spear master (right) and pen blade (left).

Views: 3255

Replies to This Discussion

You are correct Jan.  I think it has been some two or three years now.  I bought these two pen knives and the three bartenders that were offered at the time.   I bought them direct form SMKW as I was not sure how the proceeds from eBays sellers were handled.

At the time they were runing Blue for Prostate Cancer, Pink for Breast Cancer and Red for Heart Disease.

Unfortunately they didn't have a penknife for heart disease.  If they did I would've bought it.

Syd- FYI- your J. Rodgers & sons quill knife dates to 1875-1900-- Very cool piece of history, but, unfortunately they sell in the under $20 range-- I guess it's because they do not serve a practical purpose these days. 

Syd Carr said:

Tobias, it amazes me how you come up with subjects that I have long standing questions about. I have two knives that look like what you described in your post. First, what you described as a predecessor to the "equal end pen knife", I think is one of these, what I've heard called a "Quill Pen Eraser". The handle is exactly 4" long, and the specialized blade is 2 1/4". Supposedly used to not only cut the quill, but also to scrape the thicker paper of yesteryear serving as an "eraser". This is a family knife, having belonged either to my grandfather, or his brother-in-law, my great uncle. I found it in a 100+ year old machinist tool box my father inherited, which I ended up with. Looks very similar to what you described above.

Then, here is my recently acquired New York Knife Co Walden, bone handled, Hammer Brand pen knife.  2 7/8" long, 1 5/8" master, 1 5/16" pen blade. According to a couple of people here it is a pre 1931 knife, but we weren't sure what frame or model it was other than a "pen knife". Thanks to you I can now confidently call it an "equal ended pen knife". As always Tobias, thank you!.

Henckels 3-3/4" Dog-Leg Serpentine Pen #1904 Germany, black jigged delrin, Nickel Shield/Bolsters/Pins/Brass Liners

My "nekkid lady" knife out of Solingen, Germany   The Knife features a forest maiden  ( perhaps Lorelei, Frigga, or a Rhine Maiden or Forest Nymph) with what appears to be a Scheitholt (a fretted dulcimer) slung over her back. I'm not sure how rare this one is but it is the only one I've seen so far.

Both sides shown.  Knife appears to have never been used.  Shows some slight wear from storage, near mint

Thanks John, I did some research myself, so I'm not surprised about it's age. Of course, relative value is a strange thing to pin down isn't it? Conventional thinking says if it's old, it's valuable, but that isn't always the case. I guess there just aren't enough "quill pen eraser" collectors out there driving the prices up to make it more valuable.

Like I mentioned, this is a family knife, so I'm not that concerned with it's relative value. I'm now at least the third, (maybe the fourth), generation of the family to have it, so valuable or not, (apparently it's not), it will stay in the family. At least now I can properly document it, and can hand it down to my grandson with that information attached. Thanks for taking a look!

BTW: I'm likin' that "nekkid lady" Tobias!

John McCain said:

Syd- FYI- your J. Rodgers & sons quill knife dates to 1875-1900-- Very cool piece of history, but, unfortunately they sell in the under $20 range-- I guess it's because they do not serve a practical purpose these days. 

YCC 2 BLADE JAPAN PEN KNIFE, grey composition scales, nickel silver bolsters/brass pins/liners, w/lanyard ring.

Well, I posted this knife in a group of knives earlier, but I want to show some better photos of it I've grown to like it so much. It's a 2 3/4" EEPK from Hen & Rooster, and I think it represents the modern versions of this vintage knife pattern extremely well. In fact, it is one of the finest made knives that I own, very beefy, actually massive compared to my Buck 305 for example, which is the same length. The master blade is a full 1/8" thick at the back of the blade, and if you look closely at it from above, you can see where there was a slight curve manufactured into the master to allow the spear blade to lay closely without either rubbing against the other, (and they don't). Plain and simple, it's just fine, detailed engineering and machining that went into this knife. The blue bone handle too is relatively "massive", being 1/4" thick on each side, (from the liner out), which makes it fill your hand surprisingly well for such a small knife. The walk and talk is superb, (quite the 'lil snapper this one), the single spring is massive, and both blades are tight in the bolsters, and still factory sharp after being used often in the few months I've had it, (I carry it most everyday).

So, this has to be my favorite "modern" equal ended pen knife, and a fine example of it's kind.

I love the even ended patterns. This is my latest. It's a 1972 Case in MOP.

That's a beaut, Dave!

Here's a newly found EEPK, a Camillus-made Buck #309 Companion from the 70'-80's. A half inch longer than the other EEPK that Buck made, the #305 Lancer. This one goes with my ever growing collection of CC-made 300 series Bucks. This one is what I would consider to be in "very good-excellant" condition.

Well Tobias, I have a shiny new EEPK to show, but nothing to show it with, (my camera is deceased).

My local hardware store, which is a small locally-owned Ace chain, sent me a couple of coupons in the mail for Black Friday, plus another for my birthday. I used them to get a new Case #6233 SS Pen Knife, in Brown Jigged Delrin. With coupons I ended up paying $22 for it, so that's a good deal for any Case slip joint, no matter the handle material. Great little knife, good walk & talk, fits nicely in my watch pocket. Not quite as heavy duty as my Hen & Rooster EEPK, but similar in fit 'n finish. When I get my camera woes resolved I'll post some photos, (soon I hope).

Here we go! Received a Sony 20.1 mpx digi camera in the mail today. Seems very simple to operate, so here are some photos of my new Case #6233 Pen Knife. Jigged Brown Delrin handles, SS blades, fit and finish as expected from a Case knife. This one resides in my watch pocket most days, a good, sturdy little slip joint.

I'm including comparison photos with my other EEPK's, (photos not in listed order), Buck #'s 305 & 309, (CC-made pre '86), a Hen & Rooster, (German steel, Spanish-made), and a granddaddy example of the EEPK frame, a pre 1929 New York Knife Co, Hammer brand, (jigged bone, probably an early 1920's knife; maybe older).

Christmas came early around here, hope you all have happy holidays.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service