Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Just a few of my trappers, Case of course...

Tags: blade, knives, trapper, two

Views: 7435

Replies to This Discussion

Syd,

You have done a great job of identifying and locating the Bucks made by other US Companies.  It really is not even something many folks are aware of.  

So folks, when your out and about and see a shield you do not recognize, take a moment open the knife and investigate the tang.  You never know what you may be looking at until you do. 

Thanks Jan. I want people to know what a force Camillus was in the cutlery industry for decades, how they equipped our nation with tools and weapons during WWII, how the provided quality pocket knives for many companies including Buck. Almost every Craftsman knife made prior to 2006 was made by Camillus, that is a tid bit not many folks know about. They were a proud union shop employing generations of workers, and their demise was nothing short of a national tragedy. The phrase, "they don't make them like they used to" is especially true when it comes to Camillus.

Jan Carter said:

Syd,

You have done a great job of identifying and locating the Bucks made by other US Companies.  It really is not even something many folks are aware of.  

So folks, when your out and about and see a shield you do not recognize, take a moment open the knife and investigate the tang.  You never know what you may be looking at until you do. 

Well, let's make sure they have some resources...http://iknifecollector.com/group/kniferesearch/forum/topics/camillus

Syd Carr said:

Thanks Jan. I want people to know what a force Camillus was in the cutlery industry for decades, how they equipped our nation with tools and weapons during WWII, how the provided quality pocket knives for many companies including Buck. Almost every Craftsman knife made prior to 2006 was made by Camillus, that is a tid bit not many folks know about. They were a proud union shop employing generations of workers, and their demise was nothing short of a national tragedy. The phrase, "they don't make them like they used to" is especially true when it comes to Camillus.

Jan Carter said:

Syd,

Very nice, Syd

Case 2 blade slimline, 1 blade slimline and mini trappers

Mini Trapper w/cabernet handles Case

Here is something different, Stanley "Max Edge" Trapper. Found it still in the blister pack. There is a 1999 copyright date on it and "Made In The USA", so it was probably made by Camillus, which has been a collecting focus of mine lately. I wasn't aware that United Cutlery ever had knives made in the USA, as I have seen quite a few of their brand that were imports, but if the label is to be believed this one was. Interesting that Stanley is based in Sevierville, TN where SMKW is located.

I love the serrated spey blade, and the bright yellow shield is cool too. The handle appears to be Delrin, but doesn't look exactly smooth. My only issue with this one is whether I should remove it from the package or not? I think I'll eventually cave in and slice the plastic just enough to slide the knife out, I'd really like to have it as a user.

What do you think? Should I open the package?

Ok, I cut the blister pack and can now show some better photos of this Trapper, including a close up of the tang stamp on the reverse side which I find interesting. Marked "440 SS USA" is the first clue, and the non-Camillus-like "SL10" is another. As far as I know not many US makers use 440 in the first place, and the "SL10" must refer to a Stanley model number as I can find no correlation to any knife manufacturer. I first suspected Camillus as the actual maker of the knife, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't seem to fit any known Camillus frames, and as you might notice in one photo the blades are very badly centered in the frame, and that doesn't sound like Camillus to me. So, who? Could it possibly be a knife using US blades with the rest of it being assembled abroad? I don't know for sure, but the frame, blades and general demeanor of the knife reminds me more of Steel Warrior than any US maker, even feels like an import in the hand. I do like the handle material and the cool shield however, but I'm not so sure about it's supposed US roots. Being a United Cutlery product makes me suspicious too, they are such big players in the imported knife business it doesn't make sense that this is truly US-made.. Whatever, it is still a decent knife and says "USA" on it, so it's going into my EDC rotation to give my Bucks a rest.

What do you think?

Thanks Billy. It's the same guy I got mine from just a couple weeks ago, he must have come across a box of them somewhere. I asked if he knew for sure if it was made by Camillus and he wasn't "sure", so I had to look at the knife for clues. Like I said, it's a decent knife, but just doesn't "feel" like a US constructed knife, feels foreign.....at least in construction. It has small edges at one bolster, one spring is high when the blade is open, bad centering, etc, etc, things I normally wouldn't associate with Camillus. Plus the stamp on the reverse of the master blade, though stamped "USA" just doesn't seem right to me, at least as far as Camillus is concerned. It was made around the turn of the century and there was lots of mix & match going on around then, with parts from various manufacturers being shipped all over for assembly, so I suspect that might be the case with this knife. It also reminds me of some knives assembled in Spain like some Hen & Roosters, except it isn't even as nice as most of those I've seen. I can't really imagine United Cutlery having just an every day pocket knife made in the USA, they will do that for customs and movie knives, but I highly suspect a little bit of "creative advertising" going on with that USA stamp, I bet it was assembled elsewhere.

Still a good usable knife though, tight & sharp, and the shield will be a good conversation starter. It might be collectible 20 years down the road, but for now it's just a good user.

Billy Oneale said:

Heres a Case Limited Edition Mini Trapper with ultra violet scales

That's awesome Andy, I love that color, and the shield is great too.

Andy Larrison said:

Heres a Case Limited Edition Mini Trapper with ultra violet scales

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by