Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

So you who know me also know about my grandson Aaron (Winter Shadow) . . . he just started college and will be turning 18 soon . . . so what do you think would be a good knife to gift him for this important right of passage into manhood?  Most of you have experienced this step into manhood, I, clearly, have not, so I do not know what is appropriate.  He already has the basics, a Leatherman Wave, a Buck 110, and a Buck 119.  So throw some suggestions at me.  Hopefully less than $100, or closer to $50.  He likes fixed blades, especially swords, but a folder wouldn't be out of the question.

Views: 668

Replies to This Discussion

I just noticed that Knife Depot will engrave on pretty much all of their knives.  I will have to see what knives they have.

I have to disagree with the idea that traditional knives are the main knives that can be sentimental and treasured. Fact is...my Zero Tolerance knives are two of my most treasured knives in my collection. Gifts one Christmas from my father and wife. Also my Blackjack Anaconda2 that I got with help from fellow member Gerald Hines. That knife got me introduced to iKC. I realise many folks here prefer the slipjoints (shudder) and the traditional patterns, but to say they are the ones that will be most treasured...I dunno. Personally, to me, I treasure the story or the sentiment that the knife was acquired by. Not just the pattern. A Kershaw or Spyderco can be just as treasured as a Case or Schrade. While I get that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, I have to stand up for the newer styles since no one else seems to. Lol. I don't like slipjoints. Period. I think they are a trip to the hospital waiting to happen. I much prefer a locking blade. My first knife was an Old Timer slipjoint, and even now it makes me nervous thinking about it snapping back on me. Viva le Modern!

Now to the original post. Data...for a coming of age knife, I would suggest finding out his preferences. Are there certain brands he loves? Certain types of steel that he likes? Handle materials/colours? There are some very cool Cold Steel folders and fixed blades. The Zero Tolerance 0200 can be found for around $100 I believe (fixed). There are some fantastic Kershaws too, and most of those are under $100. I know if you check the Benchmade site HERE they will also customise the knife for you. Click on a knife and hit Build Your Own. Lots of options out there. Can you give us more of an idea of what he's into?

Data, I got two Case knives engraved by xxCutlery.com.  I got this one with the walnut case with the Case logo and my name engraved on it.

http://iknifecollector.com/photo/case-61749l-ss-amber-jigged-bone-m...

This is the fish knife that I had Matt. 4:19 and my initials engraved on it.

http://iknifecollector.com/photo/case-320094f-ss-fish-knife-2015-1?...

Manx,

When I was looking around on Knife Depot I was looking mostly at what I am familiar with I suppose.  The Buck 110. Kershaw Leek and Blur, Benchmade Griptilian.  All would be excellent choices I think.  I think for sentimental value - and don't anyone laugh or call CPS - I think the Kershawk Leek would have the most sentimental value because once when Aaron was probably about 11, I was wrapping his ankles in camo duct tape and I started to cut the duct tape with my Leek just as he kicked, and my Leek went point-first into the thumb pad of my left hand.  Thus causing a visit to my doctor and to a hand surgeon.  Those Leek's have sharp pointy tips, trust me.  But I think he would remember that - fondly - somehow.

A great choice. Maybe I can help make it better. How about a Leek with a composite blade? Sandvik and CPM D2 steel. Amazon has them HERE, but you may be able to find a better deal elsewhere on the internet. A collectible knife, cool CPM steel, sentimental value and not so big that it will attract much attention. Maybe a nice pouch to go with it for belt wear? A camo pouch with a few bandaids inside? :-)

Hope this helps, Data!

I'll suggest a Queen Teardrop linerlock scaled in "honey amber stag" bone w/ D2 blade steel. The price is right in your range .. $50 ~ 100 .. $62 @ Clarence Risner site.
Teardrop Linerlock

Teardrop Linerlock

Teardrop linerlock

It is a quality constructed knife w/ high end blade steel @ an affordable cost. It'll still be functioning long after you & I are not.

... and @ that price .. you could add one of these. They're reasonably priced & add a touch of uniqueness.

D ale said:

I'll suggest a Queen Teardrop linerlock scaled in "honey amber stag" bone w/ D2 blade steel. The price is right in your range .. $50 ~ 100 .. $62 @ Clarence Risner site.

It is a quality constructed knife w/ high end blade steel @ an affordable cost. It'll still be functioning long after you & I are not.

Thanks everyone for helping me with ideas.  I truly do appreciate it!!!  I think it was Manx who got me started thinking in a new direction.  Since I already have quite a few Leatherman tools, Kershaw Ken Onion's, not to mention the Bucks that could fill up a safe all by themselves, I think we should start a new tradition of collecting.  So I think I'm going to get him a Spyderco Tenacious.  I have zero Spyderco's and I think they are something he would like, and a lot of people collect them.  Knife-Depot will engrave it too.  Pretty sweet deal I think.

I am not a Spyderco fan myself, but I know there are a lot of them out there. I think that is a good choice. I am sure Aaron will like it.

You picked a winner ..&.. the engraving will add that uniqueness which will be treasured for a lifetime.

Well i think Aaron will like it fine and the engraving will give it that special touch!  BTW when does he turn 18?

Thanks everyone, and Jan, it is in a couple of months.  I like to shop early, I already have most of my Cmas shopping done.  Especially with engraving, it usually takes longer.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
6 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
6 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
9 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
9 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
9 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John