Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

What knife companies produce stockmans today?. Who leads in manufacter of the pattern? Who leads in innovative design today?

Tags: stockman

Views: 509

Replies to This Discussion

The ones that come to mind at least for production stockman knives:

WR Case

Boker

Buck

I guess I'd have to add Imperial Schrade and Rough Rider(who makes sowbellys too)

Hog Hanner said:

The ones that come to mind at least for production stockman knives:

WR Case

Boker

Buck

Ivars, I can't believe that Winchester stockman. I looked at that about 5 times. I've never even seen that one. I agree with you look at that long main blade. Just curious where did you see that Winchester? The Rough Rider Long Rifle is on my list!

Ivars Duntavs said:

I can add to gentlemans list a few pocketknife manufacturers, whitch Stockmans are wery unusual and wery intresting!

1. Winchester - winchester have a wery intresting stockmans with long main blade and stug grips.

2. Queen cutlery - have a few good and intresting style stockmans

3. Marbles

4. Colt 

5. Rough Rider

6. Schrade

7. Timber Wolf

O! I forgot!

HEN & ROOSTER  (witout coments)

8. Kissing Krane

9. Gerber

10. Maybe Buck!?!? Buck have a couple stockmans, but can you see in Buck stockmans something innovative? I dont see enything special and novel! 

This is my favorit Stockman knives TOP10 or even 11. I would like to add all these munufacturer intresting stockmans to my collcetion  :D Specialy Winchester stockman! My favorite .... :D

Jerry just curious, if you have made slip joints or stockmans has that been because of customer request or did you just have that idea of making that kind of knife running around in your head. And you mention time and I'm certain it takes a bunch of time. That would be interesting, how much time ,how many steps?

To answer your question I do kind of like the stops but I guess only for picture taking, I mean most of my knives get used so they just need to open not pose! (lol)

JW Smith & Sons Custom Knives said:

I've made a few, I love making them, just don't get enough time for slipjoints. Question...do like 'em with half stops on the blades or not?
Ivars, if you could design one... what would you design... like handle and blade steel, color, bolsters etc?

Ivars Duntavs said:

You mean when you open the blade it stops in a half way 90 degree and than open 180 degree?

It isnt a bad thing, but I prefere full openning, without stops in the midle! If you need to open fast,  half stop isnt good thing. Its for me, but baybe someone it likes.

I would like to get my own design Stockman. But I dont have materials and I dont have equipment to make it. And I know only craftsman who made only hunting knives for big money! Specialy maded knife witch  costs aprox from 120$ You can imagine how mutch can cost folding pocket knife  :D

I new they were labor intensive and you probably can get carried away putting touches on them just because you can. I'll look at Parker's pictures and find the one you talked about.

I would really like a link to post here on The Stockman Pattern Group because for people not familiar with the technique, maybe have not had the opportunity to go on a factory tour or have not seen a knife like this made by a custom maker it would be very helpful to understand all the potential steps. It's what we've been looking for!

Hog, both I have customers ask for them and I never have any for sale. I have made them because I am partial to slipjoints, I REALLY like making them. But, they really take up a lot of my time and cut into making a living. Mostly because I hand make each part. And I tend to filework and dovetail the bolsters and all that, and probably spend too much time with all that. The last one I made was for Parker's 13th birthday, I kept it plain and it didn't take as long, its the blue camel bone folder on his page. I love Todd Davison's slipjoints and my middle son and I are big fans of Bill Ruple's pocketknives. I plan on setting the new place up to make folders more efficiently so that I can make more. I have one slipjoint single blade saddlehorn and 4 linerlocks laying on the workbench for months now, I can't seem to get time to finish them. As for the steps, I will post a link later today so that you can see how many steps are involved.

Thank you so much, that's perfect and just what we have been looking for I''ll get that in our widget box and then anybody can see the effort that goes into these knives by clicking on that link.

Hog,

Here's a link, he's not making a stockman but it is a slipjoint it's the basic concept. Just with a stockman you have to make two more blades and another spring and one more liner. http://chriscrawfordknives.com/#/slipjoint-pocketknife/4535414914

A few more:

Eye Brand

Moore Maker

GEC

Canal Street

CRK&T

Utica Kutmaster

Moore Maker Stockman on my list in yellow bone(I think )

Rob Hupp said:

A few more:

Eye Brand

Moore Maker

GEC

Canal Street

CRK&T

Utica Kutmaster

And S&W has the Texas Hold'em Stockmans. The run about $25

Lets see if I can add some companies that are making stockmans.  Some of these will already have been listed.

Bear & Son Cutlery,Boker (also has brand called Magnum)

Boone Knife Co.,Browning,Camillus,Canal St. Cutlery

Case,Cat Eye,Cattleman's Cutlery,Colt

Col. Coon (I believe it is made by Queen),Frost,German Eye Brand

Great Eastern,Hen & Rooster,Indian Head,Kissing Crane

Marbles,Gerber,Puma,Queen Steel,Remington

Schrade, S & W, Rough Rider,US Marine,Utica,Western,Wrangler

I know there are more than this but I just can't think of them right now.

Doesn't just about everybody make one ?!?       I mean .. it is a rather popular model.

My Grand-Dad & most of my great uncles, Dad & his brother's, neighbor's (rural farming community)  carried one as their EDC.

It was explained to me @ an early age ... because they'd always have at least one sharp blade .. no matter how much they'd used the other two in a given day.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
2 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
2 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
4 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
4 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
4 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Friday
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John