Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Does anybody know anything about these knives?

Views: 439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

44th post down ....... I'd check w/ member John McCain .. as it's his post.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

""a little info on your Wilson Bros.- Sheffield--- Next to no info out there on this company--However, I did come across this little snippet--From the United States Congressional Public Records circa 1890--This was in regard to increasing tariffs or duties on imported knives--To paraphrase, the person testifying named 3 companies that were sold in the USA based on their quality and reputation alone, and were not in direct competition with American companies based on this--Most of the figures came from 1877- The 3 companies-Joseph Rodgers & Sons, George Wolstenholm & Sons, and Wilson Bros.--- I would say Wilson Bros. was in pretty good company as to quality & esteem. As they were already esteemed in 1887, that will give you a general idea as to vintage-BTW, I am not so sure that is a button hook knife---I think it is a gentleman's ( or gentle ladies) horseman's knife with a hoof pick blade-- Here is a pic of a Wilson Bros. Button hook knife--Notice how the blade curves back up before the hook part--""
...................................................................................................................................................................

Also .. pics would be a great help !!!

I have pictures look at photos section.

Joseph- Happy to have you as a friend !! - You pictures are not fully loading so I can't see the whole knife or a real good look at the tang stamp- Let the picture fully upload before you hit  post or send.I don't know if I can add a whole lot other than they were highly thought of and operated in the mid to late 1800's. I have seen other examples, many being MOP handled. I have found a few in the old tuxedo pattern, a 3 blade whittler, and a 2 blade pen knife.Curiously, from what I can tell, they were usually stamped Wilson  Bros. Sheffield rather than having Brothers spelled out like yours.Here are a couple of pics of a Wilson Bros. pen knife that may be similar to yours. It was MOP but lost the MOP on the obverse side. 

I think that puts things in perspective. Thank you John. Will put more knive pic soon. Many more mysteries to be solved. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

THE NEW TSA

POPS KNIFE SUPPLY

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2022   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service