Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I think it should be law that everyone has to catch at least one fish before they decide to leave this world, I think if they did, this would be a much happier place to live. 

Ever since I was little, my grandfather had a boat, big 14 passenger pontoon boats, little old aluminum boats that would barely float. In his time he had some really big boats, every weekend we'd all head up to Erie Pa, a couple hours worth of driving, but it was always a blast. We would have at least 9 people every time, but when the whole family decided to go it would be a huge mob of friends. Some would fish, while others would stay back at the cabin and swim. We did alright with the fishing, and usually everyone caught a few fish before the trip was over.

But that was never my kind of fishing, I've always enjoyed a quiet stream in a peaceful forrest. That hollow sound of you, and nothing. Sometimes those trout feel like monsters fighting for their lives, and others.... not so much. But, it's more about the surroundings on a trip like this, knowing you can enjoy a visit to the outdoors without harassment. 

But, different strokes, for different folks.

There are people who enjoy a placid lake and a lawn chair, while others, a quiet stream and a stringer full of rainbows. People change fishing everyday, they add their own little twist to things, and it keeps this place interesting.

I'd love for you to share, stories, techniques, secrets, recipes, and just a general love for the sport of fishing. So if you have something to add please don't hold back. 

Views: 279

Replies to This Discussion

I love to fish and fish as much as I can. I think it is the best for mind and body.
Yeah, I'm right there with you guys, nothing like drifting away by a peaceful trout stream, or a getting lost with a light spinner in hand, by a placid lake. A night fishing excursion will do the heart well after a busy day, things start to make sense out there. Just you, your thoughts, and a crackling fire to keep you company. Thats what is so attractive about the outdoors, it will give you every kind of therapy you need, if you let it.
I would love to hear a fishing story about a trip in another part of the country from me.

I'd like to hear one too. : )

Alright, since ya asked. I was up in Ontario with a partner, fishing on Lake of the Woods. It was getting late in the morning and not much doing so my pal laid his new bait cast rod 'n reel against the side of my boat with a Rapala lure dangling a good 2' above the water. He was relaxing when all of a sudden a small but feisty Northern Pike (know as "snakes" up there) jumped out of the water, grabbed the lure and ripped his whole rod 'n reel over the side & down into the murky water!

For once, I was fast thinking & threw over a marker buoy as the water was about 15' deep & murky. Then I had him work the boat back & forth over the area with the trolling motor while I jigged the bottom with a weighted lure retriever. (This is a weighted gizmo with small chains & hooks attached and a curly cue part that's supposed to be fed onto your line and used for retrieving a snagged lure). To our surprise, it became tangled up in his reel & I pulled my partner's new rod & reel up much to his joy. What's surprising is that this 2' Northern was still hooked on the lure and he reeled him in & soon released the little trouble maker.

This actually happened! No, Really!

That's a great story Kent, I lost a great little rod and reel to a fish one day with a not so happy ending..lol
Kent, great read, good thing with the quick thinking.  : )
Great story with a happy ending.  Thanks for sharing.  Let me think of one....
I'll have one to share about a fishing trip in Montana, but the brain is a little stale right now.
In the Keys in August it is very hot and very still out on the water. Its incredibly quiet out there alone in that wide expanse of water.  But the water is beautiful and the fish spectacular.  We had put togeather a system that worked very well.  Watch for floating debris and bird, put out the outriggers and a flatline behind the boat. and cruise slow in a large cirle around the object and the Dolphins will bite.  This morning it was bright, hot and slow.  found a bit of a weed line, not much to speak of but it did have an empty wine bottle floating in it.  So Donnie set the rigs, I took the helm and we made a first pass, wide on the east side of the line.  zzzzzzzzzzz went the Penn 30.  I slowed down, Donnie grabbed the rod, I immediatly pulled the rigging out of the way and a beautiful blue green Dorado made his first jump..just really stood up on his tail for a split second.  He came into the boat pretty easily and on some ice.  A wide run to keep the rigging from spinning and tangeling and back to the sweet spot.   His friend that came to see us next was a bit bigger.  4 more passes, four more fish.  We called a friend on the radio to join us and showed him 2 more passes.  We were going to the other side where a Trash bag was in the water.  Wanted to see if the really big ones were hiding there.  Left him in our spot and went to find the end of the weed line to cross.  By the time we got there out buddy had run straight through the line and scared away ALL the fish.  Time to open a beer  and just take a slow troll home.  A nice shower, take the fish to the fish house, trade for some lobster and a nice quiet dinner watching the sun set over the atlantic
Anyone getting some of the late fall trout fishing in?

Not me Jan, the woods are calling me home. : )

I have a good feeling that this will be a good year for my game pouch, I'll be sharing a story on the Outdoor group so you'll see why.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service