Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This is a review of the Rough Rider RR318 lockback folding hunter.

The knife is 5" closed with a 3 5/8" clip point blade of 440A stainless steel.  It has brass liners and pins with red jigged bone scales and a bomb shield.  It weighs 5.8 ounces.

This knife was as sharp out of the box as any knife I have had including my $200 custom knife Lefty.  It would shave hair clean with one stroke and would slice through paper without any drag and would leave a perfectly smooth cut.

The knife comes with a nylon belt sheath.  This is the only area where I can fault the knife.   The velcro flap closure is not very strong and will come open if brushed against something.  For $14 for knife and sheath I guess you can't expect a top grain cowhide sheath but I would think they could use better velcro.  I suppose mine could be an anomaly.

I have used and carried the knife every day since I acquired it about a month ago.  I have used it like a letter opener to open mail, even junk mail just to use it.  Since my wife can't get out to do shopping any more, she did her CHRISTmas shopping on line.  I used it to open all those packages when they arrived.  I used it to cut up a big thick cardboard box into small pieces to get it in my trash cans.  It also did a good job of cutting off an over one inch thick tree limb that was sticking out into my field of fire at one of my deer stands.  The knife locks open solidly.  There is no wobble or looseness in the blades.

I have not sharpened the knife since I got it.  It will no longer shave hair but will still slice paper.  I have worn it in the belt sheath since I got it except for a couple of times I  just stuck it in my back pocket.  It rode just fine there too.  This knife not only goes to the woods with me, it has become an EDC in addition to my little Rough Rider RR718 work knife.  BTW I have not used the little knife since I got the folding hunter.  It worked good for even the small stuff.

I think the red jigged bone scales and the slanted bolsters make it a very good looking knife.  The five inch long handle gives plenty to hang on to when doing heavy cutting.  The lock up is very strong and you do not have to worry about it closing on you while using it.  I would give this knife at least 4 1/2 stars out of five.  The only reason I don't give it five stars is the velcro closure on the sheath.

This knife is a bargain and great value for the money.

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love that this knife is available as an EDC on a budget and still holds up to everyday use.  I think you could probably get a leather sheath for it fairly inexpensive or even just put a snap on this one.  Even as inexpensive knife is one you don't want to lose

Thanks for sharing this!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
13 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
14 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Apr 21
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service