Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

How about a thread of knives found at flea markets, estate sales, garage sale, or even pawn shops.

Only real world person to person transactions, no online purchases! 

You know an actual purchase where you actually got to touch and examine the knife before you bought it and were actually able to haggle in person over the price.

Here are two knives I landed for around $30, one is a Coleman "Collector Edition" fixed blade hunter with a burl wood maple handle and the other is a Swiss Buck Advantange.  Both came new, in the box.  I bought them at Swap-O-Rama in Alsip Illinois from a guy said he had been a distributor for Buck Knives for 13 years.  He told me the Coleman Collecotr's Edition was made in Buck's China Factory.  I don't know about that but it was sweet looking knife and razor sharp!

So what great deal did you find at flea market!

Views: 3751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great historical info as always, thanks John.

If you know anyone willing to pay $135 for that knife please let me know, I may even let it go for $125, (tongue in cheek). I'm not surprised, it looked too new to be from the actual era of the '33 World's Fair, so I figured it as a reproduction. It's probably worth more as a famous counterfeit than as an antique anyway, though I have no plans to try and sell it at a profit....that will be my grandson's job. To me it was just an interesting knife for four bucks that wasn't thrashed or broken.

Any idea who made it? The other red knife looks like it came from the same production line to me.

John McCain said:

Syd- Nice haul on your last weekend spree-Your Coca-Cola knife bears discussing, though- It is not a reproduction, but is a (fantasy) knife-- There are no original Coca-Cola Chicago Worlds Fair knives, only fakes, according to Philip Mooney, manager of the archives department for Coca-Cola in Atlanta. At the Chicago World's Fair all we had was a refreshment booth- Any Chicago World's Fair Coke collectibles are all bogus--To add to the confusion, Kovell's Guide To Antiques and Collectibles mistakenly valued this knife at $135.These knives are all over the internet in various colors, handle materials, etc. being sold by antique sites, auctions, ebay, etc. for big money, whether mistakenly or on purpose. FYI, there are also a ton of knives out there with a Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck image for the same World's Fair. Similarly, Disney did not authorize or sell these knives at the Fair.  Just a heads up on these knives.

Syd- I have several knives made in the same fashion- Everything from an old 1918 Illinois Centennial knife to a fairly recent Remington reproduction knife--Most likely made by Camillus-- Some of these were marked Camco or Stainless Cutlery Co.- which were  both Camillus trademarks.-However, many of these were just marked USA. like yours.These advertising knives all had those same thin bolsters and riveted pins.-- Some suggest that Bear made the more recent ones in this style- Your Coca Cola knife was probably made in the 70's-80's.-- There are a ton of these out there artificially aged to decieve.

Thanks John.

Ya know, it's sad that things made in the 70's-80's are now considered "vintage", what does that make me(us)? Antique, obsolete? I guess having been "made" in the 50's, I would now be considered almost neolithic.

I've been to the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta before, and don't remember seeing any advertising knives amongst the "genuine" artifacts there now that you mention it. I'm surprised CC didn't go after these counterfeits bearing their trademark. Well, like I said, it was just a cool knife at a reasonable price. I'm just happy to find another "vintage" item to pass along to my heirs.

Do you have any info on the little Imperial jack knife in the photo?

John McCain said:

Syd- I have several knives made in the same fashion- Everything from an old 1918 Illinois Centennial knife to a fairly recent Remington reproduction knife--Most likely made by Camillus-- Some of these were marked Camco or Stainless Cutlery Co.- which were  both Camillus trademarks.-However, many of these were just marked USA. like yours.These advertising knives all had those same thin bolsters and riveted pins.-- Some suggest that Bear made the more recent ones in this style- Your Coca Cola knife was probably made in the 70's-80's.-- There are a ton of these out there artificially aged to decieve.

LOL..I also was made in the 50's.  It makes me collectible?? 

Syd and Dale - you both have some great finds. I love the Coca Cola knife!

Syd-- Can you post a pic of the Imperial stamp on the jack-- The barlow ain't too shabby either-- The Made in Germany knife is kind of interesting, too.Without going back to refresh my memory, there was a brief window of time when the words made in were required on imported knives--I think it was a response I made to one of Michael Squier's knives-- All I know about that Imperial jack is that I like it a whole lot , so far-- BTW, your Imperial jack is what that call a shell handle knife- A thin layer of celluloid or another man-made material over a metal frame-

As collectible as I am I guess Jan. I've been trying to find a female "collector" who likes "vintage" men, (and has a steady job), but no luck yet!! Kinda sucks buying "vintage" knives that are younger than I am.

Jan Carter said:

LOL..I also was made in the 50's.  It makes me collectible?? 

Here is the tang stamp on the jack knife John. I like it too, it is very pristine other than a few spots on the blades, (obviously carbon blades), the handle is pretty much perfect. I also like the lined bolsters. Thanks for the info on the handle material, I wasn't exactly sure what it was.

I usually see Solingen stamped knives that look nearly identical to that German one, but this is the first I've seen that just say "Made In Germany". The knife is in decent condition too, but does have some pocket wear. The Barlow isn't that bad either, other than it's nearly black "patina", still sharp, still walks & talks. I have an Irish Barlow too, but it isn't nearly as nice as this one.

John McCain said:

Syd-- Can you post a pic of the Imperial stamp on the jack-- The barlow ain't too shabby either-- The Made in Germany knife is kind of interesting, too.Without going back to refresh my memory, there was a brief window of time when the words made in were required on imported knives--I think it was a response I made to one of Michael Squier's knives-- All I know about that Imperial jack is that I like it a whole lot , so far-- BTW, your Imperial jack is what that call a shell handle knife- A thin layer of celluloid or another man-made material over a metal frame-

Syd and Jan-- I am also an early collectible- Born in the early 50's-- ( That was a dark day for mankind) LOL-  Syd- I have been told many times that  I could marry any woman I pleased-- There in lies the rub-- Apparently, I haven't pleased any of 'em~ GASP !!

Ha!! Yup, Boomers rule!! Harry Truman was still President when I came on the scene, (born Dec '52). My problem is I pleased too many, (married twice, had a kid with a third I didn't marry). Pretty much lived the rock 'n roll lifestyle, just glad I survived it at this point. These days I like knives, they don't talk back and don't throw things, I just wish they could cook!!

John McCain said:

Syd and Jan-- I am also an early collectible- Born in the early 50's-- ( That was a dark day for mankind) LOL-  Syd- I have been told many times that  I could marry any woman I pleased-- There in lies the rub-- Apparently, I haven't pleased any of 'em~ GASP !!

John and Syd, I'd hazard to guess that just about any World's Fair knife is most likely a fake/reproduction/fantasy, as with most of the other 1933 World's Fair souvenirs.  I'm betting a lot of them were made in the 1970's (1973 marked 50 years) and again in 2008 (75 years).

Swap meet Sunday, but if you prefer we can call it a "Flea Market".

Not an epic day at the swap, but not so bad either. A Camillus TL-29 type electricians knife with bakelite handles, ($10), an Imperial Ireland jack with nice synth MOP handles, and carbon blades, ($5). Lastly a Schrade USA Stockman, with a small nick on the sheepsfoot, but otherwise in decent condition, ($5). That one has SS blades, and has a razor blade imprint on the master blade with the words "Stainless Steel", though you can't see that in the photo, (maybe an early SS knife??). Like I said, not the best day I've had at that swap, but acceptable. The old knives seem to never cease at that little swap, and I walked away from a couple others today that I couldn't dicker down to a price I was comfy with. Maybe they will be more willing to haggle next week. All of these are farm fresh, pictured "as found". Time to get the oil can out and the Dremel warmed up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service