Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Fly Fishing Knives seem to be the premier Gentleman's Knives of the Great Outdoors. As I have never fly fished, I was completely unfamiliar with the pattern when I bought my first Fly Fisher.  I bought it simply because it looked cool and had "faux ivory" handles.  I think what makes the Fly Fisher a Fly Fisher is  is the straight pin and the scissors.  These are used when making lures.

The one below is very basic yet elegant.  It was made in Sheffield probably in the 1960s or so.  Stainless implements with brass liners, pins, and bail.  The handles are ivory linen micarta.  As with so many of the Eurpopean camp knives, the corkscrew is their for after the fishing is done.  My guess is fresh grilled trout and perhaps a good Mosel would be on the dinner menu

Views: 1225

Replies to This Discussion

Nice one. I especially like the irony of an Airline advertising knife. The good old days. Thanks for posting it.  

Thanks guys, I don't think, it has anything to do with fishing...lol  Yes Tobias, it would be big enough to open a bottle but I don't think, I'll try it. The value of this knife is open to speculation but I think no one can say it's not a great collectable. What do ya'll think?

Yeah, Robiert, unless it had already opened a bottle or two, i probably wouldn't try it either.  It just looked like a bottle opener to me. 

It may be, I'll see if it fits on one.

Robert, I know you're n ot going to believe this  but I just scored a gentleman's knife for the Rabbit Hunter!!

It's an old USA made Imperial 2 3/4 inch (7 cm) fob knife, complete with a beagle chasing a cotton tail down his hole!

Very intricate work.  I love the bail!

Pictures below are from the eBay listing.  Better quality than mine above

Hey, that's a sweet little knife, I love it. That bail is really something. Now, you're gonna have to go hunting for a rabbit.

Hunt for Rabbit?   Back yard around 4:30 am any day of the week.   Only problem is you can't hunt or trap rabbits within the city limits! LOL

I'd move the city limit sign, the other way...lol

Maybe when i get that Josh Hill designed sling shot/ blow gun, a rabbit might run into a rock a by accident!

Accidents will happen.

Of course there is also the Marbles Fly fisher which is a copy of earlier fly fishers made by Case and several other companies.

I need to take better pics of this knife!

Earlier, I showed my Chinese copy of this knife.  I finally managed to win a low bid on Boker Tree Brand (Solingen, Germany) verison. In this case a Tree Brand Classic no. 414.  I've been bidding up to $25 for one of these for well over a year with the bidding normally topping out around $35-$50.    I managed to win the one below (near mint with a shelf worn box for just under $17!    (The Chinese copy was won with a $7 bid and normally sold at $11.99)

Both are 440 stainless on the blades with I don't know what kind of steel for the handles, springs, and pins.  The Chinese version is roughly pinned and could use a little after purchase cleaning up.  The scales are not as cleanly engraved and now some four years later, the main blade has some side to side wobble.

I now see why people kept out bidding me on the Boker Tree Brand models.  No blade wobble, nice positive closing snap. (the other snaps close  just as quickly but sounds a little "tinny")  The engraving is far superior and much more delicate.    Very, very pleased with the knife.  It's hopped up to the top of my "Gentleman Hunters Pen Knives!"

image below is from the ebay listing

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service