Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I had not heard of this stamping either. I picked up a TL-29 with a half hawk - real nice knife and I really like it, strong snap, and sturdy knife.  Stamping is: 1st line - R-3       2nd line - KLEIN Tools

3rd line - Chicago USA.       On the secondary blade it is stamped R-3.

I had never seen a TL-29 with half hawk.  Does anyone know about this Klein Tools??? and about this knife. Was this made for military??? Thanks.

Views: 10946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Got another Klein Tool TL-29 and have another coming in the mail from ebay. This one is stamped MKLEIN&SONS, Chicago, USA

TL in typical U.S. military fashion stands for Linesman, Tool.  The 29 refers to the knife.  They were part of set of tools that included a knife and wire-cutters/pliers.  The pliers were designated TL-13A,  The knife and pliers were carried together in the Leather CS-34 Linesman pouch.  These were issued to signal corps linesman (people who laid land lines [wire] for field telephones.)  The linesman kit entered service in 1915. 

While plenty of companies supplied TL-29s to the military it would not make sense that Klein Tools did.  Electrician knives sold by Klein were primarily made under contract by Camillus or Ulster, depending on the year of manufacture.

I have never seen or read about a military issue half hawk electrician knife.   The R-3 on the knife is an internal number used by Klein to differentiate between their various electrician knives. (the standard; a half hawk; and a three blade that had the spear, screwdriver and half hawk blades.)

Many people believe that if the knife is stamped TL-29, it was military issue and any knife not stamped TL-29 is a civilian model.  This is not the case.

After World War II Camillus had thousands of  left-over handles  stamped TL-29   and they used them up to fill civilian contracts.   Later they and other companies filled government contracts with knives destined to civilian market.  So unless you were the one carrying it or was given and electrician knive by a person who carried it in the there really is no way to know which ones are issued and which were made for the civilian market.  

Even 4 line  Camillus TL-29 knives were made  for the civilian market;well into the 1950s as Camillus exhausted in blade stock from the war!

Hope this helps

Thanks Tobias, Great info, I have 3 Klein tools now and really like them, even though they weren't made for military. Your research really clears a lot up for me. I still wonder if there is such a thing as a TL-27???

Ken, the only mention I've seen of a TL-27 is on a U.S. Army Exam:

INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, RECOVERY, AND SERVICE OF  TELEPHONE CABLE WD-1( )/TT OR WF-16/U
What is the nomenclature of the knife in the TE -33 kit?
A. TL-13
B. TL-19
C. TL-27
D. TL-29

your confusion might come from Camillus listing their civilian model of the Tl-29 as their #27 electrician knife.

Good, I can forget about a TL-27 once and for all, I don't even remember who mentioned it. I do like the TL-29's.

Chuck,

I have new Klein Knife that  I recently purchased thru work . It has the stamping LL, and then below that, Klein Tools, Chicago USA. Based on the letter from Klein, I wonder who the manufacturer is in Chicago that made my knife on contract ? Ken, any ideas ? The knife is a two blade , with a curved sheepfoot and a special Insulation slitting blade.

Ricky

Chuck Parham said:

I'll be hanged if I can tell you!!! I've been trying to research it for the 3 weeks I've had the knife.  LOL I've found tons of stuff on the T and TL 29's. If I remember my research it was a military designation to begin with. I want to say Gen. Curtis LeMay from the USAF promoted it, if I remember right. There's lots of info available on them but I can't find any for mine.  LOL I don't think the info ever did mention what the letters "T" or "TL" stood for, Ken. Sorry but this is all I can recall at this time. I have attached a letter for you from Klein tools.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Klein Tools with your question about how Klein Tools letter date code tang stamp on our knives is read. Klein Tools began using a letter code on the tang stamp of knives that we made for dating purposes beginning in 1972 and we started that year with the letter "I". Then the next letter in the alphabet "J" was used for the next year 1973 and so on. Klein has make mistakes in our letter code date tang stampings in 1979 by omitting the letter "Q" and we skipped on to the letter "R", then another mistake was made in 1997 by using both letters "I" and "J" for that year. Once we hit the letter "Z" in 1988, we started over with the letter "A", not with double letter date codes tang stamps. Therefor a Klein knife with a tang stamp letter "A" date code =1989. We are currently at the letter "Y" =2012. When we hit the letter "Z" again next year, it is yet to be seen what type of tang stamp code Klein Tools will use on knives made after the letter "Z". Prior to 1972, Klein Tools used a 3-letter code tang stamp on our knives, though not every knife was stamped and would not have those 3-letters stamped on the knife anywhere. Klein Tools has never used a 2 -letter code date stamp. If you have a Klein marked knife that has a 2 -letter code tang stamped on it, the knife was most likely stamped that way by a cutlery manufacturer that we contracted to make the knife for us and we have no information on how that letter code date tang stamp would work, or who the exact contracted knife manufacturer was that made the knife. I hope this helps answer your question and thank you for your interest in Klein Tools. If I can be of further service to you please feel free to contact Klein Tools.
Regards,
Bill
Klein Tools

Ken Spielvogel said:

Chuck, What is a "27"? Wonder what the T stands for and the TL?

Rickey, sounds like a really nice knife you have. I am not sure about the manufacturer or what LL means. TL means "Tool-Linesman" in military lingo. I love that Hawk and esp. the half hawk on a knife.Chuck did a great job in corresponding with Klein Tools about the knives. Great info.

Ricky, could you post  apicture of the new knife?  That might help us solve the riddle of the LL.  My first thought is "liner lock" but without a pic it is hard to say.

Might have done some misspeaking earlier.   Klein made tools for the military back in WWII and as they make telephone and electrical tools.  I Can't confirm who they were contracting electrician knives through at that time.  A WWII Klein TL-29 would have a tang stamp that reads M. KLEIN & SONS / CHICAGO / MADE IN USA. 

And as I mentioned earlier, the Department of Defense bought these knives from who ever the low bidder is/was, so if Klein was able to cut a good deal on pliers and knife at the same time, who know what happened?

Also

Despite the information in the email from Klein, most of the single blade knives  (small EZ outs and Hawkbills) have double letters stamped above the KLEIN TOOLS /CHICAGO USA

In 2007, Klein bought Heritage Cutlery and I believe they began making their Electrician type knives via that plant around that time.  Other knives are made in Japan and/or Taiwan.

Finally, I think 1972 is when Klein switched from the M. Klein & Sons  tang stamp to the Klein Tools tang stamp which might explain part of the "letter dating" system and why the guy who sent the email said they started with "I" (as the letter between H and J) in 1972.    Still working on confirming this.  

Incidentally, the same person who sent the email about the  starting with the letter "I" in 1972 sent an email about Klein skipping the letter "O" which is quite odd, as i have a Klein knife stamped "O"!

Here are some pics of the LL knife and I also bought another one that has a KK on the tang. They both have liner locks in the handle.

Ricky

Tobias Gibson said:

Ricky, could you post  apicture of the new knife?  That might help us solve the riddle of the LL.  My first thought is "liner lock" but without a pic it is hard to say.

I saw the "Klein Tools" letter on Blades Forum as well.  I also saw an earlier comment from "Bill of Klein Tools" that contradicted part of that letter.  I'm beginning to wonder if Bill is just "winging it!"

If you go to the Current Klein Tools Web site, you can even see images of Klein Tools Knives with a double letters!

For instance their Slitting Knife (Hawkbill).  See picture below

So, these look like new or mint knives. Are these still being made or have you just found some mint knives?? Love that Hawkbill.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
8 hours ago
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
9 hours ago
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
Thursday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Wednesday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service