Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This time of year I start thinking about getting away.  Whether it is just for a weekend or the GEC rendevouz with a week long time frame, when we get away it usually has to do with our love of knives. It is truely amazing, the number of things you can get away and do. Here are some ideas I have found.   Tell us what you would do if you could spend the utlitmate vacation and celebrate this wonderful hobby. 

Tags: Knife, Themed, vacations

Views: 1681

Replies to This Discussion

Southern Alberta Hammer-IN 2012
Hello,
I, Jim Clow, will be hosting the 2nd annual Southern Alberta Hammer at my shop, on my acreage near Tilley, Alberta, Canada, on June 15, 16 & 17th. Currently we have scheduled 3 demonstrators to conduct demonstrations. There may be more to follow.
1. Ed Caffrey M.S, -- Great Falls, Montana. U.S.A
2. Chad Nichols’, --Blue Springs, Mississippi. U.S.A
3. Steve Kelly J.A, --Big Fork, Montana. U.S.A
Below are some areas of interest which will be demonstrated. There will also be some side demonstrations taking place during the main demonstrations.
1. Can Welding Damascus
2. Layered Damascus
3. San Mai Damascus
4. Fitting Hidden Tang Guards
5. Installation Bolsters
6. Heat Treat Techniques
7. Leather Sheath Construction

more info at  http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/915230-2nd-annual-...

Well of this team of two....there is only one who likes knives.  My best bet is to go hit the antique shops and hope to find a nice used case which needs a good home.  We collect McCoy pottery so she looks for the pottery and I look for the knives.  When I am overseas...doing what I do....I always go looking for the local knives.  Many 3rd world countries have no knives they produce.  So as one would expect...they import the cheep Chinese knives.  While in Iraq I found, at that time, had no knives made in that country.  I was told Iran still made the traditional knives.  I passed on going there.  So in the future I will be on the quest for cool knives for my collection.

Clint,

That seems to be the theme with alot of folks.  If you have someone that likes to go to the antique stores though thats pretty good.  We like the antique stores for the razors, always a fun trip.  I can't beleive you passed on going to Iran LOL. 

How about Knife Museums?  What would it take for you to spend some time there?

Arkansas Made: History of the Bowie Knife

Learn about the 175-year history of the bowie knife or Arkansas Toothpick, Arkansas's most famous weapon. The story of Jim Bowie, as well as the history and art of bladesmithing are told in the museum's Knife Gallery.

Jim Bowie - history of bowie knife

Jim Bowie

The exhibit includes more than 100 historical and modern knives and is the official exhibit for the American Bladesmith Society. The knives are from the museum's permanent collection and on loan from knife makers and collectors. Representing the work of master craftspeople who created exquisite weapons, the knives are made with precious metals, gemstones, damascus steel, and intricate designs.

Arkansas and the History of the Bowie Knife

Arkansas was on the edge of the United States in the 1830s, and when Americans thought of a "rough and tumble" place where people might even pick their teeth with big knives, they thought of Arkansas. Washington, Arkansas, was the home of James Black, a blacksmith who became well known for the knives he made. Black's knives were copied by cutlers in Sheffield, England, and sold in America as the "Arkansas Toothpick." As early as 1835, the "Arkansas Toothpick" and the "Bowie Knife" were tied together as two terms used for the knives that were then popular.

A Knife for Jim Bowie

Jim Bowie became known for his ability to fight with knives after the "Sandbar Duel" in Mississippi in 1827. In this fight he used a knife which was given to him by his brother. According to many sources, James Black made a knife for Jim Bowie. Some people called this the first bowie knife, the first knife actually made for Jim Bowie. By the time Jim Bowie died at the Alamo in 1836, the term Bowie knife was established as the name for the knives popular at the time.

Bowie No. 1

The Historic Arkansas Museum acquired Bowie No. 1 several years ago through an auction of the collections of two prominent Texas knife collectors. Bowie No.1 is a knife well known in collecting circles as an important early bowie knife.

Although James Black did not put a maker's mark on his knives, curatorial analysis has determined that Bowie No. 1 was made by James Black.

Compare the Carrigan Knife, with an ownership history going straight back to James Black, and Bowie No.1. Was this the legendary knife that James Black made for Jim Bowie?

Historic knives show the variety of shapes and sizes of knives used in the South during the antebellum period for "defensive purposes." The Civil War became the last hurrah for the bowie knife, as Confederate soldiers, especially, armed themselves for battle. As the war progressed the knife proved of less value than rifles, bayonets, revolvers and the bowie knife lost its status as an important southern icon.

In the 1950s the bowie knife witnessed something of a revival, as Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie were featured in books and movies. A poster from the Alan Ladd movie Iron Mistress is featured in this section of the exhibit.

The American Bladesmith Society (ABS) represents another aspect of the revival of interest in the bowie knife, as artisans preserve the art of the forged blade. The ABS Hall of Fame is a part of the museum's Knife Gallery, and the work of ABS bladesmiths is on display.

Please see our Historic Arkansas Museum knife collection.

I found at the Texas Ranger's Museum several Bowie type knives.  These knives were made in Sheffield England from about 1850 to 1900.  I have one of these knives in my collection. 

There are many stories and tales about Jim Bowie's knife.  One story is he used a large 9" knife described as looking like a kitchen knife in the famed Sandbar fight.  Later he had the famed Bowie knife made in Arkansas as he was departing to Texas.  In Texas he used this knife in killing three would be assassins.  This knife was described as having a 9" blade with a clip point with false edge and brass hand guard.  This knife was lost at the Alamo when Bowie was killed.  The Jim Bowie knife he carried at the Alamo would be the Holy Grail of knives if found.  Jan nice read and information on this knife.

Clint,

I have to admit...The Texas Rangers Musuem (I did not know existed) sure looks like a great place to visit.  On their website they even have information about how the women interacted with the Rangers.  Wives were not unusual in the camps or on the road apparently.

THAT Bowie knife would certainly be the find of a few lifetimes.

Jan...

For all of us who are fans of the Old West, knives, firearms and the American Spirit, the Texas Ranger's Museum is a must see.  The museum is not all that big but is packed with interesting things.  The museum shares this building with, I believe, Ranger Company "C".  They have a great gift shop with server books about the Rangers.  If any of our friends here, ever travel near Waco, Texas, you need to slide on in to this museum.

surfing the net for knife themed vacations is always fun, you come across VERY many bits and peices that really dont have anything to do with your search.  Sometimes you just happen to run across something fun...

Branson Hammer In & Knife Show

50 Custom Knife Makers

Forging Demonstrations

Free Admission to the Public

The Shepherd of the Hills Homestead

The Shepherd of the Hills Homestead (preserved homestead of the leading characters of the novel of the same name), in Branson, MO will host a hammer-in & knife show this fall where many of the country’s top knife makers will gather for what shapes up to be a complete custom knife making experience. In the demonstration area, there will be three forges (two gas & one coal) with continuous demonstrations all weekend. The Son’s of the Pioneer’s Pavilion Theater (adjacent to the blacksmith shop) will host the knife show so one can wander between both venues at no admission charge.

Contact us today to learn about
this exciting knife making event!

so what do you think about fleamarketing for a day if you are vacationing in one of these areas.  They are the largest in the USA.  They may a knife or two

Biggest Flea Markets in California

Los Angeles

Roadium Flea Market - Daily    2500 Redondo Beach Bvd, Torrance, CA
A medium sized market, with some of the best deals on the planet. Changes character daily, with each day, it has a different set of vendors. The weekends and Wednesdays are new stuff store liquidations. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are used goods antiques days, with Tuesday being junk day with prices as cheap as 25 cents.  What makes the Roadium extra special, is that the vendors have direct access to Los Angeles famous downtown wholesale district, so fresh loads of major department store liquidations, as well as some of the rarest vintage items on the planet can be found here daily, at prices that just can't be believed.    

This promoter rotates 4 Los Angeles area flea market at a different locations on each Sunday of a month.
Rose Bowl flea market - 2nd Sunday of every month, Rose Bowl football stadium, Pasadena, CA. 
The Rose bowl flea market is one of the most famous markets in the USA, 2nd Sunday of every month, rain or shine, there are 3 sections - vintage clothing, antiques, and newer liquidations. Some very rare items show up here, and the vendors are knowledgeable and talented beyond belief.
Ventura Swap Meet - Ventura County Fairgrounds - monthly Sunday 
San Bernadino National Orange - monthly Sunday
Long Beach at Veterans Stadium - monthly Sunday 

San Fernando Swap Meet - 585 Glenoaks Blvd., San Fernando, CA 91340, Ph : (818) 361-1431

Ocmarketplace - Weekly, Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa.
FWY (55) and Fair Drive in Costa Mesa

San Diego
Kobey's Swap Meet Kobey Swap  - Weekly   3500 Sports Arena Blvd. • San Diego, CA

San Francisco / San Jose
San Jose Flea Market - Weekly 1590 Berryessa Road, San Jose, Ca
(408) 453-1110 main, (800) BIG-FLEA
This is the second largest flea market in the country, and strecthes about 8 miles. It has an automotive dealership, hair dressers, and anything else you would like to buy. Bring a bicycle.

Alameda
First Sunday of every month at runway 7/25 Alameda Point. Not free, 8000 booths, all antiques.    

Denios 
Roseville Farmers & Flea Market 1551 Vineyard Rd, Roseville, Ca, 916 - 782 - 2704

Biggest Flea Markets in Florida

Miami

Swap Shop Flea Market, 3291 W. Sunrise Bvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL (954) 791-7927

Orlando

Flea World , Sanford on Highway 17-92

St Petersburg

Wagon Wheel Flea Market, 7801 74th Ave N, Pinellas Park, FL 33781, 727-544-5319 

B & A Flea Market - Weekly, 2885 S.E. Federal Hwy., Stuart, FL, 34997, 772/288-4915

Daytona

1000 booths full of flea market finds and fresh produce, year round Friday through Sunday.

Biggest Flea Markets in Texas

Dallas

Canton Flea Market - Monthly
The US largest flea market, stretches about 10 miles, has several sections, and runs for 4 days over the weekend of the first Monday of the month.

Traders Village Flea Market, Tradersvillage - Weekly
Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio
2602 Mayfield Road, Grand Prairie, TX 75052
Phone: (972) 647-2331
A very large weekly flea market, with a variety of new and old merchandise.

Houston 
7979 N. Eldridge Rd, Houston, Texas 77041, Phone: (281) 890-5500

Austin

Austin Country Flea Market - Weekly, 9500 Hwy. 290 E, Austin, TX, 78724, 512/928-2795; 512/928-4711

Arizona Flea Markets

Mesa Market - weekly

Quartzite - Winter only, Interstate 10 and Hwy 95

A huge gathering of RVers to attend one of the largest gem and mineral shows in the USA, and escape the cold elsewhere.

Biggest Flea Markets in New England

Brimfield Massachuesetts

A monsterously huge flea market for antiques spanning 20 fields, and run for one week intervals at the beginning, middle and end of the summer. This is the biggest antique show in the country with dealers bringing trailers, and camping there with portable showers available. Route 20 Brimfield, Ma.

Biggest Flea Markets in New York

Brooklyn

Treasure hunting and food. Year round on Sunday at 1 Hanson Place, or outdoor in Fort Greene from April to November

One of the Shows I have always wanted to attend is the AG Russel Show in Rogers Arkansas.  Lots of cool things to do while in the area.

DAISY AIRGUN MUSEUM

ARKANSAS COUNTRY DOCTOR MUSEUM

BOTANICAL GARDEN OF THE OZARKS

CONFEDERATE CEMETERY

MUSEUM OF NATIVE AMERICAN HISTORY

SHILOH MUSEUM OF OZARK HISTORY

It is such a beautiful area and so full of our nations history.  So it is on my short list of Knife shows to go to

AG RUSSELL KNIFE SHOW | JULY 27-29, 2012

I would like to make that show also but it's too far for me. I want to go to one closer that is a great show. I'm a little disabled and can't drive too far. I have made up my mind, I'm going to a good one this year.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
19 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
19 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
21 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
21 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
21 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Apr 13
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John