Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A trip to a beautiful college town in Alabama, the weekend was fascinating.  

As if you did not already know i have a true love and respect for history and museums are a part of that for me.  To discover I could see Alabama Damascus, A Natural History Museum, A weapons Museum that compares on a smaller scale to the Smithsonian and a Civil War Museum in one weekend, in one town was just the find of the year. (well except they wouldn't let me keep any of the knives).

The Berman Museum of Weaponry is a place I could have easily spent two days and i will be visiting it again.  When you walk in and are greeted with original Remingtons', both statues and guns...you just have to take the tour.

The swords fascinate the young ones.  This one has its own popular question.  What is the most valuable  part of this sword?  It is centuries old and encrusted with MANY valuable jewels.  Read on I will let you know the answer

Among other interesting items in this hall, you will see Adolf Hitler’s personal silver tea service, parachute dummies, and a recreation of a WWI trench with a dugout. Also see a real West Gun, a unique trench weapon used in WWI. There are only two in existence today! This hall also includes an extensive collection of machine guns from the Spanish American War through WWII, as well as Axis and Ally mortars, mines and bazooka/rocket launchers.

Peculiar Possessions: An Eclectic Collection showcases some of the Museum’s most unusual and difficult to categorize items, including implements of torture, exotic masks, deadly spy weapons and unusual combination weapons. Col. Berman and his wife Germaine were, among other things, connoisseurs of the unusual, and these items represent some of the most unique pieces from their own collection.

Next up will be the Janey Furnance!

Confederate Museum and American Museum which houses over 150 War Between the States memorabilia and over 500 American Indian artifacts from the surrounding area. 

Tags: Museums

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PS the answer is:  The steel.  It is made from Damascus Steel forged those many years ago in Damascus

i love museums and history as well. What a great look at one that is right in our are of interest!

Real nice, thanks for posting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service