Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to these digital cameras and I would appreciate some suggestions on what kind of camera I would need  for taking photos of my knife collection & also taking good, clear photos of various items to be posted on eBay for sale.

It's my understanding that I need 1000 pixel camera for eBay. Can any of y'all help me out with some suggestions on a reasonably priced camera & what I need to do to achieve proper lighting?

Thanks, Kent Gable

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kent:

Hog emailed me that you had asked the question & I've sent a friends request to you.

I've sold one or two things on eBay over the last 15 years & good pictures, along with a good description, are an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY but you don't need a $1000 NIKON. In fact my old NIKON went belly-up about a year ago & I replaced it with a $200 FUJI S1800 that does a fine job as would most every camera in that price range. I bought the FUJI because COSTCO was running a special when I needed a new camera.

Don't confuse camera pixels with the pixels that can be displayed on a monitor. Any modern digital camera stores many, many, many more pixels than you can display.  The pixel size eBay suggest is the width  of the image in a jpeg file that you're uploading & the camera image is automagically resized when you load the image from your camera into your computer & again when you upload it to eBay.

I have an auction for a old CANONFLEX RP exposure meter about to close & frankly, it's at 3 to 4 times the actual value (I'm not complaining :-) based of what's sold in the last year. I attribute it mainly to the pictures.

No secrets to good pictures, all you need is an inexpensive digital camera and a tripod. I'd also suggest a small, inexpensive light tent because good light gives you a lot more flexibility. 

I manually set the white balance because I shoot in-doors under artificial light but let the camera do the rest. I always shoot on a tripod & set the autotimer for two seconds. I also use a photo editor (in my case Photoscape because it's free) but any editor will work. I'm not trying to deceive anyone just show the best possible picture I can. I crop my pictures & resize the jpeg file to at least 2000 pixels on the longest dimension. Doesn't make a difference on the small image but it does when you enlarge it - the larger the original image, the larger the displayed image when you click "Enlarge".

My $200 camera isn't nearly as smart as a $1000 NIKON so I can also compensate for any camera (and operator) short comings, i.e lighten or darken the image a bit. Whatever the picture needs to look like it was shot by a good photographer (I'm not) in a studio.

Good luck with your new "selling career". -larry-

Thank you for the information, Larry. I'll be checking to it . All my cameras are good quality Olympus & I've had a Nikon EM but I haven't done much with digital.  -Kent

You're welcome.

Here's a link to Photoscape if you want to download it. It's older & not as sophisticated as say Photoshop but it's free!!! It's actually pretty powerful and should do everything you need with a minimal learning curve.

-larry-

Kent:

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on digital cameras that can read or if you're impulsive & impatient like me, grab the first one you see & start shooting. You can always figure it out on the fly.

The FUJI I use would be considered a "bridge camera" which is what I think gives the best bang for the buck. It is a compromise between cost & smarts.

I look at myself as the stupid boss & my photo editor as the super smart assistant who fixes my mistakes behind the scenes.

Thanks Larry-yes, I guess I'm the impatient sort, myself. That Fuji name keeps popping up again & again. I'm gonna have to check them out. 

Moore's Law (# of transistors per sq. inch doubles every x months) holds true  in the digital camera industry just like every other electronic product.  I don't like to shop and when I bought the FUJI, I went to COSTCO & it did what I wanted at a price I'd pay with the months coupon. It was in the same original price range as a similar CANON & NIKON bridge camera but the $40 off is why I bought it. I'm thrifty (read cheap) & I think that digital cameras are a very competitive market and you pretty much get what you pay for in the major brands.

If I just wanted to take outdoor snapshots I'd still be using my old NIKON or I'd own a $59 Casio or Kodak. Something in the NIKON electronics screwed up and I was getting purple pictures under artificial low light conditions I sometimes use. I could edit them to get most of the purple out but it was a huge pain in the arse & I'm not an avid photographer; it's a chore that I tolerate rather than something I enjoy.

Back in the very early days, I used a 8mm analog video camera I already owned & a video capture/edit card rather than invest in a then very expensive digital camera. I did eBay full time for a couple of years a while back and finally bought the NIKON to save time. The NIKON & the FUJI are the only digital cameras I've ever owned and I'm satisfied that both gave/give me a good bang for the buck. 

Larry-to me, cheap means "good" except in certain areas like knives, decent fishing gear, guns or things that my life depends on such as in survival equipment.

I admit that I'm just not into most Hi-Tech stuff mainly because I don't care to be.

Do I really need a digital camera? I've got a good quality Olympus film camera that does take pretty good close ups. Why couldn't I just shoot up a role of film, have it developed on a CD & download into my computer?

Why has everything gotten so complicated these days? I am into basics and I don't like fads.

Thanks for the info on cameras, though. 

If film works for you, there's certainly no "rule" that says you have to go to digital & if you're only going to do a small number of listings/pictures, I agree there's no need to spend the money.

From time to time I sell "vintage" 35mm slr's & I'll sometimes shoot a roll of film with the camera, take the roll to Walgreens & post the pictures I took in an album for perspective buyers to look at.

I take enough pictures so that the cost of buying film & paying for developing would prohibit me from doing it. The big thing, however, is that I can take my pictures & instantly see the results - then it's a simple matter to retake any I'm not satisfied with. Not possible with film.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Deb Bowers
1 hour ago
Deb Bowers is now a member of iKnife Collector
1 hour ago
Mike Bryant posted photos
4 hours ago
Kevin D posted a status
"Last 2 weekends were completely 'horse' weekends. This weekend I hope to get back to the forge and getting some other knife work done."
20 hours ago
Jan Carter posted a status
Wednesday
Ellis H. Roberson commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Wednesday
J.J. Smith III replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Monday
Joe Vadala commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 9
Joe Vadala commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 9
Bill Martinson posted photos
Jun 9
Kevin D replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 9
George R Naugle commented on Terry Waldele's group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 9

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service