Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I have recently wondered about some knives I have seen lately. For instance:

I saw a brand new Case knife stamped Gowanda, NY

I saw a brand new Kissing Crane knife stamped Solingen

I saw a brand new Schrade knife - advertised as "this knife is not stamped China"

There are some other examples also. The Point is this: Knives aren't always what they are stamped to be.

I know some are marked for nostalgic reasons. But where do we draw the line? When I buy a knife, I want where it was made stamped on the tang. Not where they once were made.

Just saying. What say you?

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going to look into A.G. Russell knives also.

Ken Spielvogel said:

Yes, that's just what I mean. Its hard to tell on some knives and you wonder what you have. And especially where its made. I don't mind a China knife, RR makes some good ones, I just like to know its China, and not passed off for a USA knife.

Had a dealer  try to tell me once that these US Classics were made in the US, because they were tang stamped  "Salt River, KY".

They're the oldest mail-postal order knife company in the world when it comes to high quality knives.

A.G. Russell isn't in the cutlery hall of Fame for nothing ;-)

Michael D. said:

Good info about this company. I appreciate it. They've been around the knife business a long time. I do get their email ads and do like what I see. Because of your review, I'm going to pay more attention to their offerings. Thanks.

JJ, Yep, just looked at my Salt River and it says on the tang "Salt River, KY". So where are they made? China? And that's just what I am talking about in this discussion.

I can't pull up their web site any longer. I think its been removed, but I found this, which was copied from it...
Here is a little history in regards to the company;

The U.C. Classic is a unique knife. These high quality knives are faithful reproductions of the most sought after antique knives.

Earl Collins, a knife designer, has collaborated with a well-known knife collector from Kentucky. Earl chose his favorite knives from the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's. The knives were manufactured by Robeson, Cattaraugus, Remington, Boker, Case and a number of other well-known knife manufacturers. The original knives are worth a fortune and nearly impossible to find.

Mr. Collins then allows the U.S. Classics Manufacturer to dis-assemble the original knives and faithfully reproduce them, down to the smallest detail. The results are beautiful Antique Reproduction Pocket Knives that are reasonably priced. These knives have class, each is faithfully reproduced with long pulls, crimped and slanted bolsters and fancy shields in the handle. The bone handles have been jigged and dyed to match the old colors and textures. Some styles are already sold out and the price is going up, up, up. Until now, the only way to find a U.S. Classic knife was at a National Knife Show.

Each style is produced in a limited production run of 1200 knives.
(This information was provided by U.S. Classic Knives)

Thanks JJ - the one I have is an excellent quality knife. Its a Whittler, I'll try and find a pic. I would put it up against any high priced knife. That was interesting info you posted, but are they made in China?

Here it is

They're definitely Chinese, Ken.

Here's one of mine that's a direct copy of a Queen Humpback Whittlee pattern. Ive got one of the Robeson versions that SMKW had several years ago, and this copy is pretty much the same (different scales, bolsters but with better nail pulls).

Here's my Robeson, notice the shallow nail pulls.

Sharp looking good quality knives. I guess I just wish they said China on them if they were made there.

Yeah - good looking knives. I agree that it should say something about the origin. For example I carry a $5 US gold piece in my pocket for good luck. Darn thing looks real. On the back it says "copy". I know they're from the PRC because I've seen bulk offerings a couple of years past.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service