Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Do you collect folding knives by pattern, series or brandname????

I have an ever expanding list of knives on my potential purchase list.  Is it best to collect by pattern ( trapper, muskrat) series (black pearl, coal miner) or brandname ( rough rider, case) ??

Views: 1686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I have a Linerlock soddy that is a real good knife to carry.

Robert,

Price has always been an issue for me.  I'm also not rich so it is hard fo me to justify paying  large sums  of $$$ for a knife because it is certain brand, when I can spend just a few  $ for a knife  of similar quality and and build, especially when I can't see that much difference between the two knives.

At the end of the day, I leave the collecting of Randall knives and David Yellowhorse pocket knives to the people who can afford them   There is that commandment about not coveting thy neighbor's property that keeps me in check.  I can appreciate a high value knife without having to own it.   I can find plenty of joy in moderately priced knives that are within my budget.

Tobias, thats what I mean, a person can enjoy a less expensive knife just as much as higher priced ones. How much I paid for a knife has no meaning as to how much I enjoy owning it. You and JJ. have it, that's what I was trying to express, in my sorry attemp to explain. Higher prices doesn't garrantee, satisfaction.

We collect what we like and share the hobby with friends.  Just today we got in a RR stag peanut that is a gift for a very valued friend.  We have purchased him several knives over the years but in his pocket on a daily basis is an old RR that he loves.  The peanut pattern is his favorite.  It is not the price of the knife but as Robert says it's the personal "value" you give the knife that matters to us.

My answer to the original question is all of the above. I collect whatever appeals to me, but I mostly have Sheffield-made knives. I like learning about the history and manufacturing of knives, past and present. By far, making numerous friends around the world and sharing our interest is the best part of collecting. I agree with Jan. Some of my most valued knives come from friends and fellow collectors.

Tobias, very knice collection. What is the knife with the corkscrew in the middle row, fourth in from the left?

I'm guessing you're referring to the U.S. Classic White Smooth Bone Bartender knife.

Smiling-Knife said:

My answer to the original question is all of the above. I collect whatever appeals to me, but I mostly have Sheffield-made knives. I like learning about the history and manufacturing of knives, past and present. By far, making numerous friends around the world and sharing our interest is the best part of collecting. I agree with Jan. Some of my most valued knives come from friends and fellow collectors.

Tobias, very knice collection. What is the knife with the corkscrew in the middle row, fourth in from the left?

0ooh that looks good. Thanks. I collect corkscrews and knives, thus knives with corkscrews are of particular interest to me. I'd like to read your opinion on the knife if you don't mind sharing it please.

If you collect corkscrews you may want to see;a href="http://http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/RRR/bar-knife-hist.html" target="_blank">http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/RRR/bar-knife-hist.html  >It's a back page of my Rough Rider Reviews. As for the U.S. Classic.  It cost a little more but the quality is about the same as a Rough Rider.  The label cutting blade (the short blade on the cap) is a a little rough to open which is also the case on the Rough Riders and probably even the original Case knives.  It is operated by the two springs controlling the spear master and pen blades but being much shorter it isn't as easy to get leverage on it.  The label cutter, reminds me of the old tire slasher blades on the old SOE knives.

Left to Right:  U.S. Classic copy of Case pattern 130,  Bulgarian bartender , Hen & Rooster "Stanhope",  Rite Edge Laguiole  (Picnic), Becker Bartender's tool, Camco Ad-knife,  RR lady's Leg, Sheffield Gentleman's knife.

Smiling-Knife said:

0ooh that looks good. Thanks. I collect corkscrews and knives, thus knives with corkscrews are of particular interest to me. I'd like to read your opinion on the knife if you don't mind sharing it please.

All of the above, none of the above whatever strikes your fancy--at that moment!

I collect patterns, I collect brands, I collect patterns within brands, I collect handle materials within patterns and within brands.

I love desert ironwood, quince, stag and other woods for handles but I have yellow, red and green Delrin, various Micarta/Rucarta, MOP and all metal.

I like single blade hunter belt folders, stockman, muskrat, trapper, moose, toe nail and canoe for patterns/styles.

I collect Schatt & Morgan, Hen & Rooster, Boker, Puma, CRKT, Queen, Entrek, Knives of Alaska, Ka-Bar, SOG, Grohmann, Fallkniven, Canal Street, and I have a few pieces of but don't collect them per se is Emerson, Harsey, Paul, Strider, Chris Reeve, William Henry, Case, Buck, Bear & Son, Gerber, FOX, Cold Steel, Ontario, Spyderco, Browning, Benchmade, ZT, Kershaw/KAI, Meyerco, TOPS, very old Schrade & Old Henry as well as Remington and Camillus and have just added Condor, Great Eastern and Mantis to the line-up.

That's just for folders....Hi, my name is Shlomo and I'm an addicted collector!

I have just started buying a few from Condor. I really like what I have bought so far. The first one was a buy just because I liked what I saw and the price was right.

what did you buy?  Pictures please!

The Fidelis neck knife .Condor Fidelis Neck knife (3)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service