Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I grew up carrying traditional knives and though I now carry a Tac folder, (Benchmade Grip., Emerson Mini Com., or CRKT M1 usually) and a Leatherman Juice CS4, I feel like I should also carry a trad folder.  Currently I am carrying a Case Mid Folding Hunter in Gray Bone, which I love.  I switch it out with  other various Case and other brand trad folders as well.  I do it partly because I want to be able to take something out in public that won't scare people, nor make them think I am as much of a knife nut as I really am, but also because I just can't seem to break myself of the notion that a man ought to have a traditional pocket knife with a bone (or other natural material) handle on it.  Am I alone here or does anyone else feel the same way?

Tags: EDC, Folders, Traditional

Views: 2074

Replies to This Discussion

O-yea.  I like them both.  Good choices.

Lee Smith said:

I carry a case dark molasses bone back pocket in a sheath for the big jobs. Also a case red stag half whittler In my pocket for the small jobs. I like a traditional handle with a little flash. One of these days I'll get a matched set to carry.

I tend to carry 2 knives as my EDCs...both being traditional folders.

the larger one in my side draw sheath and the second is usually a small  folder that I keep in the watch pocket of my pants.

I love the bone or stag handles but they seem, sometimes, to fall when I put my eyes on those sweet yello handles that I have.

I am with you Steven.  I like the yellow handle knives for EDC.  I have a couple of Moore Maker knives coming with one large double bladed trapper in a belt sheath (waited for 5 months) and one medium trapper with a thumb stud and liner lock.  The liner lock trapper will have either white or red handles.  The large double bladed trapper has one locking blade.  I will put up some pics when I receive them.

Clint

You just reminded me of a similar incident.  When I was working in Lexington, Ky. in 1970, one of our interns borrowed my M1 carbine to take to a class of his at the University of Kentucky.  He was giving a talk on gun control and was demonstrating that the M1 was designed and a prototype built by a man in prison (Carbine Williams).  Times sure have changed.

Clint Thompson said:

Emory...

I know what you mean.  My family worked in the oil patch and farming.  Pocket knives were the must have tool.  When I was in Grade School I carried up to four pocket knives at one time.  LOL!  Yea no one cared.  I gave a speech in Jr. College in speech class on how to clean a Mod. 97 Win. pump shotgun.  LOL!  How times have changed.

Emory Alexander said:

I have a as well, (1st Gen.) which I still think is the best multi tool ever made, but it's too big to cary all the time, so I have been carying my Juice for a while now, and I can't praise it enough.  I can't think of a better SAK style knife as fare as quality, usefulness, etc...  My dad always caried a Buck slip joint untill the last few years of his life when I bought him a Kershaw lock back which was still very traditional, My Grandfather was a landscaper  who carried a barlow, so I guess it's in the blood!

Yes they have.

Charles Sample said:

Clint

You just reminded me of a similar incident.  When I was working in Lexington, Ky. in 1970, one of our interns borrowed my M1 carbine to take to a class of his at the University of Kentucky.  He was giving a talk on gun control and was demonstrating that the M1 was designed and a prototype built by a man in prison (Carbine Williams).  Times sure have changed.

Clint Thompson said:

Emory...

I know what you mean.  My family worked in the oil patch and farming.  Pocket knives were the must have tool.  When I was in Grade School I carried up to four pocket knives at one time.  LOL!  Yea no one cared.  I gave a speech in Jr. College in speech class on how to clean a Mod. 97 Win. pump shotgun.  LOL!  How times have changed.

Emory Alexander said:

I have a as well, (1st Gen.) which I still think is the best multi tool ever made, but it's too big to cary all the time, so I have been carying my Juice for a while now, and I can't praise it enough.  I can't think of a better SAK style knife as fare as quality, usefulness, etc...  My dad always caried a Buck slip joint untill the last few years of his life when I bought him a Kershaw lock back which was still very traditional, My Grandfather was a landscaper  who carried a barlow, so I guess it's in the blood!

I like to EDC a small lockback folder.  I generally don't have to do much heavy cutting.  My Case Mini Blackhorn handles my normal cutting tasks.

I bought this Case Caliber to carry during those times that the Blackhorn was lost.

I grew up on cheap traditional slip joints.  I ran the gauntlet through bigger lock backs and tac knives and came back to the slippie several years ago.

I like your back pocket knife there Lee.

Ray Ludlam said:

I like your back pocket knife there Lee.

Thank you very much

I carried Case pocket knives as a kid.  Stockman or something else but the stockman is the one that is in my mind more than any other.  RIght now I have a Case small stockman in my pocket that I've had for I don't know how long. Several years ago I started carrying "other" types. Started with Gerber, SOG and a couple others and settled mostly with Spyderco.  Here are a few favorites so you'll see what I I'm now used to as far as size, etc.

Sage4 with my black micarta scales. (CPM-S30V blade steel)

Chaparral 2 (CTX-XHP blade, titanium scales)  I love my wife but Ooohhhh, my knife. LOL  Whenever wife says I care more about a knife than I do her I immediately polish her face. hehe

Manbug  (kirinite desert-camo scales & Sage4 with matching scales that I put together)  This is a nice combo I think.

Recently I've had the desire to carry more traditional pocket knives.  Don't know why.  So, I carry the small stockman and have a Queen on order.  This is the beginning of a slow collection I plan on aquiring.  It will be slow though.  Has something to do with money. :)  I am very fond of locking knives so that may limit my EDC.  I got along without locks all my life though so it can't be THAT bad carrying slip joint knives. :)  Kidding. I know it's not bad at all.  I'm way behind most of you guys but hope to catch up a little bit pretty soon.  Already thinking about a Christmas list. lol

I usually carry either a traditional and a fixed blade, or a traditional and a modern folder.

Traditionals are the best knives to pull out in public. No one's ever run off screaming when I pull out my gunstock by queen. Plus, they're just so darn pretty.

Thanks for the reply Randy. I find myself reaching for a slip joint from time to time as well. I now carry a Spyderco Tenacious, and just recently added a Leatherman Style CS to my key chain, and a Leatherman Skeletool CX to the pocket.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
53 minutes ago
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
3 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on Mike Bryant's photo
22 hours ago
Mike Bryant posted photos
yesterday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
Wednesday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Alexander Åhl's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to James McClendon's discussion Ball Bearing becomes a Bowie.
Monday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison commented on Tim's photo
Monday

KnifeMaker
James McClendon posted a discussion
Monday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Sunday
J.J. Smith III replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
J.J. Smith III left a comment for Philip Younavjak
Apr 20

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service