Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

There are a lot of different blade steels out there today. Some blade steels are better suited for certain tasks and others are all around great performers, What is your favorite blade steel? What is the steel that you have for EDC blades? What are the characteristics that you look for most is a blade steel?

Tags: Blade, knife, steel

Views: 4108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

440 C is what I'm most familiar with and like a great deal for various reasons; I've two knives in CPM S30V and am appreciating this steel more and more; but so far, CPM S110V has to be my personal champ as far as having a blade with an 18 degree inclusive edge that treetops and lasts one helluva long time. One thing I'll add is thank the heavens for diamond stones. Difficult to keep the super steels sharp without 'em.
If you are making a knife with most of the tool steels it needs to be sent to a heat treat specalist as most needs to be in a vacume furnace to become hard. Has any one tried M4? I'm a tool maker and we have started to make most of our punches from M4, replacing D2. You make some shear punches with S7 and CPM10v with high RC of about 58-60
I'm enjoying the D2 Queen (http://www.queencutlery.com/catalog.html) had tempered by Peter's Heat Treating http://www.petersheattreat.com/ Take's an edge & holds it well !!

IMO...quite a bit depends on the tempering process.

ex: I've some 440C in an early 70's vintage Browning folding hunter that's downright impressive. I've also some 440C that's okay.

A little metallurgical research will provide steel characteristics ..

... chem analysis
... max attainable hardness (AUS6 only gets so hard .. period !!)
... required tempering procedure (air cool/quench/??)
... suggested uses (if memory serves..there was a ball bearing steel developed for aerospace applications .. somebody discovered it made durable knife blades .. ??Boker?? offers this commercially

Here's a starting point:
http://www.bladedepot.com/page/page/3942786.htm

Tempering is also used to optimize a steel's characteristics relative to the intended purpose.
... I've an old Cattaraugus 225Q that's chipped .. holds an edge great though ..
... in some applications .. shudder~prying the computer case open~shudder ..I'd rather have the steel bend
... other applications .. skinning a deer .. I want it to hold an edge .. to the point of being "straight razor" brittle
... different tempers can make the same steel perform in either manner (w/i the physical limits of the steel type)

I am very partial to D2 and the majority of my custom(and some commercial) knives are made in it.

While I completely agree that INFI is great steel but it isn't the cat's meow as there are other steels with nearly the same Ni content and some with even more so it isn't unique in that respect but in the way he heat treats it...My beef with him is his marketing--I have no use for a Busse Combat Co 6.25" Boss Jack that he's making and the only blade he will make for that year and is never repeated, the following year he'll make a different knife...His other two companies (Scrapyard and Swamp Rat) do about the same thing but they use SR-101 steel and none of them come with a sheath--$50 -$175 extra depending on maker...They call themselves "Custom Makers" but all they offer is a choice of colour for the blades and scales.

Excellent Steel Review at Alligator's (Joe Talmadge's) Steel Info Site

i remember reading from a custom knife makers site (cannot remember who) that there's no point in making a knife out of a certain high end steel if you dont take advantage of its strenghts. for example better steels will allow you to make a more steeper blade egde angle which will make it a better cutter.  

I don't seem to have any favourites. As long as the geometry, heat treat and cutting edge are ok then I don't really care anymore.

I've found that for a well made knife the steel type isn't as important (for me) as all of the other factors. As long as the steel type is of a decent type I'm happy with it.

Tried

AUS-8

8Cr13Mov

12C27

440C

440A

ZDP-189

S30v

O1

O2

and a host of others. As long as it's a decent steel type, the edge is sharpened well, and the grind on the blade is right for the job along with a proper heat treat...

I couldn't give a darn.

I agree with most:  S30V - ATS-34 - 440c - 154CM -D-2

M4, D2, S30V, M390, Elmax, 154CM & 440c.  In that order.

Yes, i have diamond stones to sharpen my super steel knives and a Spyderco Triangle sharpmaker for everything else.

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question but it is about blade steel. I have a set of al mar knives that are all marked SEKI - japan. Is this a type of steel or a place? Any info on SEKI would be helpful. thanks

SEKI is the city, like Solingen - Germany 

"The Seki-City, Gifu-Prefecture is a small town located in the middle of Japan, and is famous worldwide for its production of fine knives like Solingen in Germany."

My thanks to my friend Joe Talmadge:

http://www.knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

I noticed that all my osprey are stamped seki but most osprey pocket knives that I see elsewhere are not. Is it common for a knife maker to use different steel from different places to make the same type of knife?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service