Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

How about a thread of knives found at flea markets, estate sales, garage sale, or even pawn shops.

Only real world person to person transactions, no online purchases! 

You know an actual purchase where you actually got to touch and examine the knife before you bought it and were actually able to haggle in person over the price.

Here are two knives I landed for around $30, one is a Coleman "Collector Edition" fixed blade hunter with a burl wood maple handle and the other is a Swiss Buck Advantange.  Both came new, in the box.  I bought them at Swap-O-Rama in Alsip Illinois from a guy said he had been a distributor for Buck Knives for 13 years.  He told me the Coleman Collecotr's Edition was made in Buck's China Factory.  I don't know about that but it was sweet looking knife and razor sharp!

So what great deal did you find at flea market!

Views: 3750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Been awhile, but managed to get to the local swap today and found this old Hammer Brand scout-type knife. Whether it is a New York Knife Co Hammer Brand, (pre 1929), or a later IKC Hammer Brand I'm not sure, (probably the latter). Patina for sure, but basically in whole condition other than a missing bail. Handles definitely look pocket worn, but whether bone or not I know not. For $4 it was a good deal whatever it is.

Syd, the knife is a post World War II imperial made Hammer brand.   The can opener and the tang stamp would suggest the early 1950s.  The safety can opener that fist appeared on these camp knives in 1944.

First developed by altering a cap-lifter on a Camillus camp knife, Michael A Mirando patented the Safety Can opener on December 25, 1945 (Pat # No 2391732).  By then he was working at Imperial.  During the Patent Pending period, Imperial, Kingston, and Ulster used the opener on the early Slab sided (Mil-J) military knives issued in 1944.  (Kingston was a war expedient company that was essentially a Imperial-Ulster Co-op).

The safety can-opener made its commercial and civilian debut 1946. The first knives to feature the newly patented can opener were Imperial Camp knives.  Once the patent expired in 1952, almost every knife maker switched over to the safety can opener.  The inside edge of the hook on the Safety Can opener  is sharpened making it backward cutting can opener.  This means as you push in with the can opener you draw it toward you and rotate the can in the opposite direction of the knife.

After 1952 they started showing up on other USA made camp knives. The Hammer tang stamp on the main blade was in use from 1945-55, however I don't think Imperial was using the can opener on brands other than Imperial and Ulster until after 1952. If this is the case the knife dates from 1952-1955.  If not then it could date back to as early as 1946.  

$4.00 is decent going price for the knife.  Nice find.

Thanks Tobias. All I knew was that New York Knife Co had the Hammer Brand until they folded in '29, and that Imperial bought the brand after that. I figured $4 for a complete "vintage" knife was a decent deal; thanks for confirming that for me. If it was made around '52 it's the same age as I am, that seems appropriate...I'm pocket worn & missing a bail too, LOL.

Tobias Gibson said:

Syd, the knife is a post World War II imperial made Hammer brand.   The can opener and the tang stamp would suggest the early 1950s.  The safety can opener that fist appeared on these camp knives in 1944.

First developed by altering a cap-lifter on a Camillus camp knife, Michael A Mirando patented the Safety Can opener on December 25, 1945 (Pat # No 2391732).  By then he was working at Imperial.  During the Patent Pending period, Imperial, Kingston, and Ulster used the opener on the early Slab sided (Mil-J) military knives issued in 1944.  (Kingston was a war expedient company that was essentially a Imperial-Ulster Co-op).

The safety can-opener made its commercial and civilian debut 1946. The first knives to feature the newly patented can opener were Imperial Camp knives.  Once the patent expired in 1952, almost every knife maker switched over to the safety can opener.  The inside edge of the hook on the Safety Can opener  is sharpened making it backward cutting can opener.  This means as you push in with the can opener you draw it toward you and rotate the can in the opposite direction of the knife.

After 1952 they started showing up on other USA made camp knives. The Hammer tang stamp on the main blade was in use from 1945-55, however I don't think Imperial was using the can opener on brands other than Imperial and Ulster until after 1952. If this is the case the knife dates from 1952-1955.  If not then it could date back to as early as 1946.  

$4.00 is decent going price for the knife.  Nice find.

Farm fresh finds, pictured as I found them. Hit both the swap meet, and a local annual antique street sale today. Picked up the Buck 105 at the street sale for $8. I'll get my buddy at the leather shop to fix the sheath, and the knife will go off to Buck this week to be rehandled. After it's all said and done, including postage, I'll have less than $20 invested in that one. The other four were found at the local swap. Total for those four was $30. A Camillus, non bolstered Marlin Spike, (I now have both versions), a Camillus-made Buck 303, an import Buck 285, and a US-made Gerber. Works out to $7.50 per knife, so despite some condition issues, it wasn't a bad day at the swap. Walked away from a couple of Case knives, one a beautiful fixed blade, but at $40 I figured I could find a better deal eventually, so I passed on those.

The finds of the day for me were the Camillus Marlin Spike, though it is obviously well used,  the CC-made  Buck 303, and the buck 105. After being repaired by Buck, the 105 will be well worth the $38 I spent on all of these, so I figure I'm ahead of the game. The others will go into my "give away" pile.

Some good choices and GREAT prices!!

I agree Jan, thanks. I'm even impressed with the import Buck, it is actually a surprisingly well made, very usable knife. I'll probably clip that one inside my boot, (when it finally cools down enough around here to wear boots again). The Gerber 400 is nice too, and nearly identical to the Case Caliber I won here on IKC. I think I'll start a "review" thread comparing those two US made knives one of these days.
I wish I had unlimited income, I walked away from some nice old knives this weekend, but I don't have unlimited income, so I'll just enjoy what I got at a bargain.

Jan Carter said:

Some good choices and GREAT prices!!

I got these from an auction and they were in pretty bad shape. This was before.

And this is after.

And these were given to me as a gift, because whey were "not worth it".

Before:After:

And after some etching and rehandling:

You have cleaned them up VERY well!

These knives are called "karakulak"(kara - black, kulak - ear), because of the shape of the handle. It profile is very interesting and looks like ears. Old people say, that the ears of the karakulak should be as big, as the owner's ...... ears, or as big, that you could put a coffee-pot and a cup and drink a cup of cofee.

Some photos:

A modern one:

And an old one:

Another swap meet Sunday. Managed to find one good knife, a Camillus-made pre '86 Buck #303 Cadet, (yet another, I have found two others at this swap), and a genuine bone handled sharpening steel of unknown origin, (with a nice patina). Snagged the Buck for $10, the steel for $4. The Buck sharpened up nicely, once I removed the dust bunnies & oiled it up I found the blades to be tight, and now all blades snap when closed like they should. It's pocket worn, and shows signs of being sharpened often, but otherwise is in good condition with no nicks or gouges on the handles. Not an epic day at the swap, but a good day nonetheless.

Came across a couple five inch Imperial Fish-Knives over the week-end.  Didn't need them but the price was right so I scooped them up.  A two blade, and locking single blade.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service