Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

What do you think this one is?

Views: 113

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like a #1004 Carabiner Tool with the thunbhole cut away, at least to me.
Never really been much of a big fan of the wave or thumb plate deployment, as they tend to necessitate being mainly drawn from a top-vent pocket that is fairly stiff/tight. This has the potential to decrease one's versatility of carry placement options, such as in the waistband, inside a jacket pocket, belt/sheath carry, or in a billowy side-vent dress pants pocket. Although, if the blade were long and strong enough, one could use the gap as a blade trap in much the same fashion as that of a Spainsh Choil. I guess I prefer function over form.
Good try but no.

the 1004 series was a close guess but I wouldn't pull a fast one on you guys and post a modified blade. these are all production, even if it was a limited one. As you can see the Kershaw 1004NG National Geographic Tool has a full thumbhole.

I agree with your assessment of the wave openers. I don't own one but have handled a few and they are effective if not limited to their designed purpose.

The knife in question was produced in and around 1997 before the "wave/pikal trend" (again Kershaw was ahead of the times - I think the Emerson Commander came out in 1998?) and back then it was simply called a bottle opener. As a matter of fact, with the production tip-down carry, as a bottle opener, it opens in the opposite direction to function as a wave opener. I understand other examples of this model are modified to tip-up carry to allow for wave-opening.

There were 3 production variations of this knife that I know of...a G-10 and Ti handled model with thumb-studs, a Ti handled variation with the bottle-opener cutout. There was also at least one 4th variation in G-10 with the bottle-opener.
HINT #1 - Its been re-numbered (slightly and without the fancy Ti handles) and reissued and on the street starting today (08-12-2010).
Hint#2 - a Hawkbill blade

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Deb Bowers
2 hours ago
Deb Bowers is now a member of iKnife Collector
2 hours ago
Mike Bryant posted photos
6 hours ago
Kevin D posted a status
"Last 2 weekends were completely 'horse' weekends. This weekend I hope to get back to the forge and getting some other knife work done."
22 hours ago
Jan Carter posted a status
Wednesday
Ellis H. Roberson commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Wednesday
J.J. Smith III replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Monday
Joe Vadala commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 9
Joe Vadala commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 9
Bill Martinson posted photos
Jun 9
Kevin D replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 9
George R Naugle commented on Terry Waldele's group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 9

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service