Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

My daughter hikes in the wilderness & packs everything in. Therefore, weight is a factor. She also likes bones .. Anthropology major. Soooo , Dad put this together for her.

I started with a generic (no stamping) blank. Possibly, Colonial .. they can still be found in antique stores & the like for under $20. Light duty camping hatchets for the weekend camper of the 50’s / 60’s. Decent steel & light in weight.

I removed the black plastic grips ..and voila .. my generic blank.

I ordered some bones from Moscow Hide & Fur .. nice people to deal with. I ordered a couple different sizes .. not knowing what exactly would make a best fit.

Once they arrived .. I decided on the larger .. and cut it down to size.

I then laid the bone on top of the blank .. in a couple different configurations .. till I found the one I liked.

I made the required cut in the bone .. allowing the blank to be inserted & sandwiched by the bone.

This allowed me to estimate what material to remove from the blank to obtain the desired fit between bone & blank.

After obtaining the desired fit .. I etched the blank for corrosion resistance to the elements.

Brass tubing was used for pins. The space between bone & blank was filled with fiberglass resin.

For my first go ‘round .. I’m OK with the result.

Tags: FerricChlorideEtch, MoscowHide&Fur, bones, hatchet

Views: 755

Replies to This Discussion

... of course .. I had to try it .. works as intended !!!

Good job.  Nice results.

Thanks, JJ

J.J. Smith III said:

Good job.  Nice results.

You did a great job Dale! I think your daughter will love it!

I like it Dale and I think Hannah will cherish it.  Light weight and easy to take Dad on all the trips with her :)

Pretty awesome Dale!

I see where you bought the bone, thanks for the link, what animal is it from and how did you cut the grove?

Dan, 

For this project, I cut the groove/slot in the bone w/ a std 10" bastard file. The thickness was a close fit to the hatchet blank ..so.. I used the narrow side w/ teeth on it to cut the groove. I was very happy w/ the way that portion of the project worked out. It does require mucho more elbow grease ..but.. the manual approach inhibited gross errors :)

For the matching Camp Knife .. I machined the desired groove. Absolutely loving the mill !! :) !!

Dan ... that's an Elk leg bone for the hatchet handle ..&.. a white tail deer leg bone for the camp knife.

I've experienced ZERO negative issues dealing with Moscow Hide & Fur. They're honest, reliable, & ship quickly .. when in stock. i.e. Their inventory does vary.  

Also, bone sizes vary. I order multiple units & then choose "best fit" for current project once in hand. Their pricing is such that it allows this freedom.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Deb Bowers posted a discussion
yesterday
J.J. Smith III posted a photo
yesterday
Deb Bowers commented on Deb Bowers's status
yesterday
Deb Bowers commented on Deb Bowers's status
yesterday
Jan Carter commented on Deb Bowers's status
Monday
Deb Bowers posted a status
"Hi! I have about 300 knives I'd like to sell. Does anyone have suggestions on how to start? May I share pictures here?"
Sunday
J.J. Smith III left a comment for Deb Bowers
Saturday
Deb Bowers is now a member of iKnife Collector
Saturday
Mike Bryant posted photos
Saturday
Jan Carter posted a status
Jun 12
Ellis H. Roberson commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Jun 12
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Jun 12
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Jun 12

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 12
J.J. Smith III replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 11

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 10

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service