Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

My fellow edged devices lovers.  I need the iKC's help.  I am doing a little research for Knives Illustrated which is a bimonthly magazine about knives of all kinds, tomahawks, swords etc.  As a potential reader about firearms, knives, camping and other outdoor related subjects, what would a magazine cover have to have in order to attract you attention to pick it up.  Once the magazine is in your hands, what articles listed on the cover would cause you to open it up and look inside.  What subject matter would cause you to buy this magazine.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  All impute will be reviewed.  My thanks goes out to you all.

Clint

Views: 2101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron....

History and traditional knives seems to be the focus of many of you.  I like this.  You can find KI at Barns and Noble.  Boarders carry the magazine too but they went out of business...which caused circulation to drop.  Thanks Ron.

Ron Dumeah said:

I to would like to see more tradition knives as well. Knives to me are tools and I am not a Military man. History is a great thing in the knife world and would also love to see more of that. I did have a hard time finding your magazine around where I am from. The one I did find was on tactical. High lighting new and up coming companies or makers would also interest me. Kinda the 411 on who is doing what. As for the cover, I like to see down to earth covers. The one with the bullets all over it is kind of radical. Fine if your going for a younger crowd but things tend to mellow as they age. 

Clint,

The teardrop jack comes to mind.  I know that Ulster did them in the late 1800's and Beaver falls may have preceded that.  It went away for many years and recently has been revived by a number of companies including Great Eastern and Rough Rider.  If you look at the knife and then look at a say  The ESEE Izula.  A true tactical fixed blade but look at it closely, that handle design is a teardrop shape and they look similar to the "bones" of an old teardrop pattern.  In my opinion, knife patterns simply evolve to the next step, many old patterns can be seen in the newer models if you look through fresh eyes

Mike...

Thanks for your input.  Bimonthly is common as it keeps the cost down.  Less people are buying magazines now days.

Mike Carter said:

First bimonthly magazines are a turn off for me. Other than that, I agree with the opinions above for more traditional and historic knives and feature knifemakers. I have little interest in tacti-cool stuff.

I'm a knife collector of knives,sward's,big chopper's,bowie's,machete's.I hate to say it but I owen about 200 or more,my wife do's not like it but to bad.so if your cover would have that I'de pick it up and read

Robert....

My Mama didn't raise no dummy.  I have already put a task on her.  Thanks Robert.

Robert Burris said:

Clint, Miss Jan is the greatest and has such well rounded veiws. She is well educated in most of the folder knives and their brands. If I had to get advise  from this membership I would weigh what she says very heavily. Good luck my friend.

Traditional knives and their histories along with articles on up and coming custom makers.

Stephen....

KI does cut across the interest lines to even swords.  I appreciate your input.  Thanks Stephen.

stephen tungate said:

hi clint ;i would think if you took a magazine and split it into four sections of course the new knifes coming out ,handmade knives,traditionals,and also tacticals knives by doing this i think you cover most of you collectors and knife enthusiast.hope this helps.....

Jan...

Very good points.  I see the "new" knife design and say to myself...no its not.  So pick out a new knife in a folder which you like and can be used by LEO (Law Enforcement Officer)....man or women.

Jan Carter said:

Clint,

The teardrop jack comes to mind.  I know that Ulster did them in the late 1800's and Beaver falls may have preceded that.  It went away for many years and recently has been revived by a number of companies including Great Eastern and Rough Rider.  If you look at the knife and then look at a say  The ESEE Izula.  A true tactical fixed blade but look at it closely, that handle design is a teardrop shape and they look similar to the "bones" of an old teardrop pattern.  In my opinion, knife patterns simply evolve to the next step, many old patterns can be seen in the newer models if you look through fresh eyes

Elbin....

You and I have been cut from the same cloth.  If it cuts....I like it and want it. LOL!  I have a little over 300 knives...and my wife gave up years ago.

elbin bunnell sr said:

I'm a knife collector of knives,sward's,big chopper's,bowie's,machete's.I hate to say it but I owen about 200 or more,my wife do's not like it but to bad.so if your cover would have that I'de pick it up and read

Billy...

I hear you man.  You are in the groove with many of the iKC members.  Thanks Billy.

Billy Oneale said:

Traditional knives and their histories along with articles on up and coming custom makers.

My opinion Clint is to have something about survival. One of the hottest groups right here on iKC is that Modern Survival Group. It just seems to jump sometimes, people are interested. Knives in use, for survival, defense, preservation of life and goods. How many ways can a knife function in the hostile world environment? That might get some interest.

Clint, I do also like to see reviews of tacticals also, but not a whole magazine devoted to them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service