Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

My fellow edged devices lovers.  I need the iKC's help.  I am doing a little research for Knives Illustrated which is a bimonthly magazine about knives of all kinds, tomahawks, swords etc.  As a potential reader about firearms, knives, camping and other outdoor related subjects, what would a magazine cover have to have in order to attract you attention to pick it up.  Once the magazine is in your hands, what articles listed on the cover would cause you to open it up and look inside.  What subject matter would cause you to buy this magazine.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  All impute will be reviewed.  My thanks goes out to you all.

Clint

Views: 2101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Already put my mark on the traditional line, but I just wanted to say thanks for asking "the people" what we'd like to see.

Kent....

While in Kosovo and Iraq, naturally I was looking, I only saw one Randall being carried.  A Lt. Colonel of a small patrol base in Kurdistan had an old Randall that was passed down to him by a friend of the family.  This friend carried it in Vietnam.  This Randall had seen better days but was still in good serviceable use.

While in Iraq we were given the option to buy a Randall, I should say order, from the factory at the retail price.  The service they were giving the troops and us was we were thrown to the front of the line.  I decided I didn't need one of their knives.

KENT GABLE said:

KENT GABLE said:

Charles- I ain't exactly a "rich" guy either nor am I getting any younger but about 35 years ago, I began admiring Randall Knives (made in Orlando, FL) because of their fine craftsmanship and quality. They are also forged and handemade, not stamped and admittedly expensive, although prices vary. Finally, after waiting a long time, I was able to afford one that I had long admired and bought it for field use, not as a collector's item. So, natuarally stories of their founder Bo Randall (now deceased) and his various knife designs are of interest to me but I can understand why others could care less?

Many servicemen still wear Randall Knives with pride and they're use in many wars since WWII is well reknown as well as their use as a dependable hunting knife like mine.

I too own and admire Great Eastern knives ( mine is a Northfield Brand) and own a  Canal Street Knife for the same reasons you seem too but these are not exactly cheap knifes either. They are well made knives that exhibit a high degree of craftsmanship and worth every penny in my opinion.

Bill....

I like this idea about the cover as well.  But I am way in the back of the bus on this idea.  Thanks again.

Bill Fletcher said:

As far as covers, I like those that are simple and not to busy.  Black fonts are more appealing than reds or yellows.  It is always good to let the picture tell the story and create the focus.  Two types of covers would work:  Ones that include people that are working on knives or sheaths that are part of a feature story ( grinding, forging, hammering, sharpening,  a high shutter speed of a blade cutting a water bottle etc.) and the second type being a feature piece of cutlery ( think whittler knife with a long curved shaving, or fancy knife in a pose).  I think articles that step wise follow the creation of a knife whether a classic or tactical would be interesting.  Updates from makers whether major factories or custom craftsmen would also be interesting.  I tend to favor vintage patterns.

J.J.

Your welcome and thanks to all who have helped me so far so much.

J.J. Smith III said:

Already put my mark on the traditional line, but I just wanted to say thanks for asking "the people" what we'd like to see.

Rick..

Thanks.

RicK said:

The left has a classic none user collector look to it while right has the hard core user operator feel abt it think both would sell well to the avid knife fan collector user thats serious abt what they want to buy next or just look at eye candy .STAY SHARP .

I guess part of it comes down to demographics.  Broadly speaking, the 30 and under crowd find paper almost archaic while the 30-50 crowd  are fine with paper and the over 50 crowd seem to prefer paper.    I'd hazard to guess the 30 and under like tactical knives.  But as you get closer to 50 the preference to traditional patterns quickly takes hold and the over 50 crowd still looks at a Spyderco and thinks box cutter.

The younger crowd probably likes the flat grind and micarta handle of a RAT over Stacked leather Ka-Bar  Same goes with Kydek vs. Leahter.  But the younger crowd are also going to want to read about it online not in paper print.

Tobias...

Bingo....we have a winner.  The 30 and younger do go to the web to check out knives and go to the web to buy them.  Thanks Tobias

A nice traditional stag,or bone handled single blade always gets my attention.

Also,an article on how these chinese made reproductions are getting hard to

tell from the originals.....

You can purchase a 350.00(BM42) usa made knife from china for less than 40.00 bucks.

That's just the first to come to mind...You can also get some really nice looking Microtech

knives as well...There are hundreds out there..

It's really scary,especially to a non expert like myself and so many others.

(attn:)HOW TO TELL A FAKE FROM THE REAL DEAL?????

Just some ideas,hope I could help.

JD

JD....

This is a good idea.  I will send this on to Bruce who is an expert at spotting the fakes.  However, one good rule of thumb, if the price is just unbelievable then its a fake.  Buy from reputable dealers who you can return to if there is a problem with the knife.

While in Iraq I found CRKT knives in the black market, in the package, looking real.  On closer inspection they were Chinese pirated knockoffs.  I sent one in the package to CRKT.  No marking except CRKT.

jeffrey dean deaton said:

A nice traditional stag,or bone handled single blade always gets my attention.

Also,an article on how these chinese made reproductions are getting hard to

tell from the originals.....

You can purchase a 350.00(BM42) usa made knife from china for less than 40.00 bucks.

That's just the first to come to mind...You can also get some really nice looking Microtech

knives as well...There are hundreds out there..

It's really scary,especially to a non expert like myself and so many others.

(attn:)HOW TO TELL A FAKE FROM THE REAL DEAL?????

Just some ideas,hope I could help.

JD

I also would like to see a few more  traditional knives.

Thanks Danny

Danny....

I appreciate your input.  Traditional knives it is.  Thanks.

Danny Allen said:

I also would like to see a few more  traditional knives.

Thanks Danny

I wonder if there are any brands like Case,GEC,etc. being faked?

There sure are alot of those patterns coming out of overseas.

I am to say that if there are,no one would recongnise(spelling) them

as fakes.

Reason is,there are alot of nice looking knives comes from overseas.

It would be easy to fake a tang stamp,especially since case is starting

to have stuff made overseas.

it really is scary.

who is to say a reputable dealer can't get fooled just like us the consumer?

JD

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service