Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Hi

I've recently bought an old folder with a "nonsense" tang stamp

There are some strange characters, that I can only presume to be stamping fails.

So based on the possibilities I've tried different letter combinations without sucess.

I even asked a Russian acquainted to read it, since it could be cyrilic, bur it didn't make any sence to him either.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks!

MAC :)

Tags: folder, prussia, tortoise

Views: 281

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mac-This is a real head scratcher ?? Prussia was primarily a Germanic area, so I don't think we are looking at  Cyrilic-  The German alphabet is the same as English, so a more likely reading of the tang would most likely be FOWLER ( under enlargement you can see the possible beginning of the middle horizontal line of the F) or less likely TOWLER. I have searched and thus far can't find an appropriate match for either name. The other puzzling thing is, I have yet to find another knife handle with the same unique shape to even get a decent starting point. If anyone recognizes this handle shape, short of calling it a pinched center, let me know. Indeed, a very unique style new to me. Mac, if you have any more information to share about the knife or it's history , I'm all ears

Thanks John :)

I will take another picture with with side lighting and a decent lens to dicuss the tang stamp in greater detail.

MAC :)

Perhaps .. a folding medical instrument. It's the one "pattern" where I've seen that frame shape before. i.e. the indented center.

hmmm, that is a thought Dale!

LINK   .. you'll need to scroll down ..a few examples w/ similar frame styles.

D ale said:

Perhaps .. a folding medical instrument. It's the one "pattern" where I've seen that frame shape before. i.e. the indented center.

I have a few "folding medical instruments" .. in researching their history .. I'd seen that frame shape before.

Jan Carter said:

hmmm, that is a thought Dale!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Deb Bowers commented on Deb Bowers's photo
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Deb Bowers posted a status
"I'm new to this and open to suggestions! All knives are unused, clean, no chips or cracks."
6 hours ago
Deb Bowers posted photos
6 hours ago
Deb Bowers posted a status
"Hi! I have about 300 knives I'd like to sell. Does anyone have suggestions on how to start? May I share pictures here?"
7 hours ago
J.J. Smith III left a comment for Deb Bowers
yesterday
Deb Bowers is now a member of iKnife Collector
yesterday
Mike Bryant posted photos
yesterday
Jan Carter posted a status
Wednesday
Ellis H. Roberson commented on Joe Vadala's photo
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Wednesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Wednesday
J.J. Smith III replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Tuesday

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Andy Larrison's discussion Case Vault Release Razor rehandled in Mammoth Ivory in the group Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement
Jun 10

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service