Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Might anyone know how to date an unmarked knife? I found this knife roto-tilling a garden down below Houston, Texas back in 1982

Views: 143

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another pic
Attachments:

Welcome Billy Bob- took the liberty of posting the pictures for you--

Thank you Sir.

John McCain said:

Welcome Billy Bob- took the liberty of posting the pictures for you--

Billy Bob, sorry to say, the short answer is no--IMHO, though, it probably had not been laying there for too many years before you found it in 1982, based on the overall condition as seen in the pictures-I don't know if you did any major restoration on it or not, but, typically, the wood would be in rougher shape, the brass badly tarnished, and the steel in worse shape-The large brass pins are still used on knives occasionally, so that doesn't help-Same thing with the handle shape-It appears that it has a hollow grind in the photo, which says done on a machine-Don't know if the blade was rusted when you found it, but stainless steel was invented in 1911, so that doesn't help much, either.I grew up on a farm,and used to plow up steel axe heads,brass items, and even an old pocket pistol-Generally, wood had rotted away, brass was green with heavy pittiing,and the steel pretty well rusted out-Sorry, I could not help more~~~~

Billy Bob, I suspect that this might have been made from a blade blank or knife kit-I was looking through some of my old knife makers supply catalogues and found Bowie blanks with the same blade and handle profile- That would explain why there is no makers marks, as they are usually left blank so the maker/customizer can put his own mark on if they want to. Just a thought- 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service