Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

The words "Vintage" and "Antique" are casually tossed about in the knife world. From a collector of older knives perspective, are these terms the same or do they have different meanings to you?

Tags: antique, definitions, vintage

Views: 699

Replies to This Discussion

I need to finish my first cup of coffee and then probably have another, but I can absorb what you are saying here :)
A wise man?
If you can afford it, it probably doesn't fall into either catagory---in my case--If you buy it anyways be prepared to hear all kinds of descriptions---I know you didn't pay (fill in blank) for that old piece of %$#$%$#or "I don't care if it is old, vintage, antique, it is still an expensive piece of old%$##$%$ to me. So, from the following commentary, I am still left confused but I wanted it, I got it, Toyota.
Old :)
just kidding....
so true.
Well said hari :)
how can i get some help on finding the make and era of a knife?
Scott,
Your question reminds of what my 9th grade English teacher told us. English is the hardest language to learn - too many terms that mean the same thing or certainly are spelled or pronounced the same way but convey entirely different messages.
So as it relates to knives - (to me) vintage means something produced at least 50 years ago and has been maintained in good condition. I know - it's like defining quality - I'm an old QA Manager - we all know what it is when we have it and especially if we don't.
Antique - now we're in my era|:) In general - something over 50 years old - that's when you can get an Antique licence plate for your old collector car.
Thanks for provoking the thought and keep collecting any knife that strikes a chord in you that says "Damn I like this one"

Lenny
Here's some deep thinking. First, define the term knife collecting. Prior to ca. 1970, virtually every knife produced was done so as a tool of use. While i'm sure there were those prior to 1970 who were established collectors, the knives they considered collectable were never manufactured as collectable items. Usher in the new age of knife collecting when post ca. 1970, Case followed by many others, began to manufacture knives specifically for the collector market. I have to ask myself, can THESE knives ever become true vintage collectables? Think of it this way. Consider a Case knife built in 1970 as a tool of use. Lets say for example, an 18 pattern stockman with a total production run of 10,000 pieces. Basic frame, standard blades, bone handles. For the sake of arguement let's say it cost $25. Then on the other side of the coin, take that same 18 pattern stockman with a total of only 1,000 produced. Same basic frame and blades, but with a fancy blade etch and bright lime green bone handles. It sells for say $50. Fast forward 50+ years, there are examples of both knives that have survived in mint condition. Which knife in your mind is likely the rarer and more valuable knife?  Which one is more deserving of the vintage status. The thing is, even though there were originally 10,000 of the first example, it's quite possible that there are actually fewer surviving in mint condition then the "collector" version. This all may seem a bit off-topic, but I think to define what is a vintage or antique knife. We first have to determine what knives can even be considered. Here's one last example i'll ask for opinions on. Even if it survives in mint condition for 200 years, will a Frost knife made in Pakistan ever be considered a highly prized "vintage/antique" collectable? Just some food for thought, Rob

If my great grand something kids collect Frost knives I`ll come back and haunt them.

LOL!   I'll take that as a NO!   Pondering on the question though, a line from an Indiana Jones movie comes to mind. Even a $2 watch hidden safely away for a thousand years can become a priceless artifact.  Hmmm...

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service