Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Suggested readin' - CARVING PEACH PITS by R.V. Dietrich.

We've also agreed to host the "Whittling and Woodcarving" group here also.  Discussions from June 20th-June 29th are from that group.

Views: 3301

Replies to This Discussion

Hope to be on the porch, some, this weekend.  Been too hot most all summer.  Still in the 90's here, but the weather guy is callin for a 20 degree (plus)  drop in the daytime highs for this weekend.  Fall can't get here soon enough.

Weather was great today.  Highs around 70.

The pit jar was callin to me...

Got to spend some time on the porch.

Get ready Jan.

Got to spend some time on the porch.

I wish it would cool off everywhere and the threats of Hurricanes would go away also

Wish I knew what happened with my last post?

Being in SC, the weather this time of year changes fast.  It's heading back up to the 80's for this week.  I want it to cool off too.

Oh we will all get there JJ.  I may not be the happiest this time of year, I miss the fall season the most.  But by around December to February I am happy as can be.  I never miss snow for long

Dag nabbit,  The rain is causing havoc on my connection.

Perhaps this will brighten your day, Jan. 

Time to break out your whittler and a pit,  we're gonna do a simple basket.

Start with the stem end up.  Go ahead and break off the pointy end.  I useually break them off when I clean them.  (They hurt like all get-out when they stick you from inside your pocket).

Carve away the stem end until you get to a more solid wood.

Round off the edges or your pit.  This was an oblong pit, so I went with an oval shape.

Mark a line where you want your handle to begin.

Begin carving out the handle, continue till you get to this;

Here's what it should look like from the side;

Repeat the process for the other side.

Using the tip of your blade, begin cutting out the opening of your handle.  This is the main reason why I like wharncliffe blades.  The tip is very strong.  Can't say how many blade tips I've seen broken trying to cut into hard  surfaces like pits.  Be careful, too, you can get a nasty stab if the pit slips.

Once you have the handle opened up,

now is the time to work the seed out of the pit.

Start shaping and rounding the handle.  I usually make mine on the thicker side, to keep them strong.

Continue to shape the handle till it is rounded all around.

I've seen baskets that were "finished" now, but I like to round off the lip of the basket,

Sometimes, depending on what the color and final shape looks like, I'l just clean it with an old toothbrush and say that it's done.  This one, however had good color and I wanted to bring out some highlites.  I scraped the high points on the rest of the pit, with the edge of the blade. 

This brings out lighter colors that show the redish tint better.

My wife likes them smoother than this, while I prefer them with a more natural character.

Most times that would finish the basket, but because I really liked the color of this one, 

I put a coat of clear satin acrylic spray on it,  after I cleaned it off. 

Left unfinished, the pit will get a nice, dark patina with age.

(Front)

(Back)

JJ,

That is fantastic.  I love how you did the highlights.  The picturs give real good detail on how to make the basket.  I am going to try this very soon.  Just waiting to get some time where I can sit down with those pits I have been saving.  Anyone else willing to try also?

Hey Jan,
Now that you've got your pink whittler, ready to give it a shot.
Thats the plan JJ, cant wait to get started

jj do they make a seahorse whittler that has a lock blade i am so wery of a knife snapping back on your fingers.when i was young that happen cutting twine...would love to try this pit carving.and have you heard of a peachacot tree i planting one with my father over 35 years ago it just we just started getting blooms 4 years ago 

Stephen,

JJ may know of one but I do not.  The closest I could think of with a wharncliff would be the 3 7/8 inch #72

Rough Rider makes some small lockbacks but none with a wharncliff blade that I could find
thanks jan that looks like it would work....

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service