Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Suggested readin' - CARVING PEACH PITS by R.V. Dietrich.

We've also agreed to host the "Whittling and Woodcarving" group here also.  Discussions from June 20th-June 29th are from that group.

Views: 3301

Replies to This Discussion

Geppetto works, Jan.  Super pattern, real comfortable to actually work with.

I've heard of a cross between a peach and apticot, Stephen, but the ones that I've seen have pits that look like apricot pits.  (a'course thay carve into baskets too.)

As far as a locking Seahorse, nope.  Only time I had a blade close on me was when I was cutting a tire.  All the cutting that I do on pits is paring cuts (draw cuts).  Just have to be careful about cutting your thumb.

That Tidioute looks good, but personally, I'd say the blade was on the long side to carve a pit.  Remember the pit is only around an inch wide.  I've modified more than a few knives into wharnies since CASE locked up the Seahorses.
Couple of my favorites are a cheap lockback that I got from Lowes and this Rough Rider 204;

The modified RR does look more friendly for carving small objects like the pits JJ.
On all the ones I've modified, I try to use the profile of the Seahorse wharnie blade.  I like the point on it.  That's wht I like the Gepppetto also. 
that knife looks like it would work great jj it has plenty of handle for grip and also the blade is short so you could choke up on the handle thanks guys for the info.and thanks jj for going step by step you did a great job sir...

At times  it's far easier to make or modify what you want. 

It's real comfortable too.   I sanded the handle edges to round out the squared bone edges.  It's more close to a regular carving knife, in overall shape, than most. 

It can be difficult to find this pattern at times. 

So the rough rider steel works well for whittling also JJ?

Actually it does real well, Jan.

Started modifying them when CASE locked the Seahorses away and I needed a warnie fix.

You having second thoughts about breaking in the Pink Awabi whittler?

Believe me, it's easier when you can look at it as a tool.  My "collection" is actually my set of "spairs".  LOL

No second thoughts JJ, LOL Donnie bought me this one as a user.  I cant do my first whittlen on a pit unless he is home though.  Basically I am a klutz and he wants to be here in case I cut a thumb off.  Never miss an opportunity to laugh at your wife while she is bleeding my friend.

Well I can say that you'll like using it.  Very comfortable.

I can honestly say that I've never cut my "holding hand", but the thumb on my "knife hand" has caught IT, over the years.  On top of that I've got a pinchjed nerve in my shoulder that causes me to loose feeling in my thumb and index finger, so I ALWAYS (well almost always) use a thumb guard.

Only a few bucks at any woodcraft store.

I have an old metal thimble, think it will work?
Not sure about a thimble, Jan.  Some of the old timers use Duct Tape, in a pinch.  Wrap 1 layer sticky side out and another, sticky side in.
Electrical tape  works good if you do happen to cut yourself. It will hold the cut together and something in the glue will make it heal quicker.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service