Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Our 12 Days Of Christmas contest has been generously sponsored by TSA Knives.  

There will be 2 ways to enter.  

1) Post to the discussion for each of the 12 days

2) show us how iKC is celebrating the season in your home or work environment (creative use of hat pins maybe?)

I will open this contest discussion on December 13 and the winners name will be drawn on

December 25th!

Tags: 2013, December, Knives, TSA, contest, iKC

Views: 2864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

answer:  

A: The Celts used a golden knife to cut it down because they thought it was a gift from the Gods.

I hope you all are enjoying this as much as we are.  From Snowmen and Santas to Christmas Cards and Cowboys, our iKC home is blessed with many friends

*****Day 6*****

Q:  Mary and Joseph journeyed from Nazareth to Bethlehem to be enrolled in the imperial census. How many miles is that? 

About 80 miles.

Map of journey of Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem is about 70 miles as the crown flies but walking it through widing mountain trails is more like 90 miles and probably took about a week

Everyone is on top of the answers about 80 miles

I would have to say about 80 miles as well... just a educated guess of course

Answers vary from just under 70 miles up to about 90 miles . The most common answer is around 80 miles. Their exact route was never mentioned in the Bible, so it is up for some historical debate. Based on averages, I will go with about 80 miles, as well.

A  little IKC under the  Christmas Tree--- "trapper, that is" LOL- As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "That's a joke, son !!"

Most historians believe the path taken would have been from Nazareth to Jerusalem along a long established pilgrimage road then on to Bethlehem. (this route would take Mary and Joseph through Samaria)   They also believe they probably traveled with others as bandits and wild animals remained a real danger.   Annual pilgrimages to Jerusalem were  common during this time so Joseph and Mary had most likely done this many times. We are made aware of this due to what happened around the time of Jesus' 12th birthday.

Many people assume that Joseph probably had a donkey or some other type of pack animal and that Mary probably rode the Donkey due to her condition, even though there is no description in the of the journey in the Bible.  Historians tend to think that the journey was uneventful and most likely routine.  And this is why they make the assumptions about the use of a pack animal.  Joseph was a carpenter and even a poor carpenter would have probably had a donkey.

The assumption is the trip took between 4-7 days with 4 days being the common time it would take to make the trip.  They also assume the Joseph and Mary relied on the Jewish tradition of providing room and board for weary travelers.  They assume that if the group were large, then they may have camped along the way.

One reason it is assumed that the trip was uneventful is because look took the time to describe the events that unfolded once Mary and Joseph reached Bethlehem. Luke takes the time to mention the lack of room in the inn.  It is assumed if some type of event had occurred as they made their way to Bethlehem, then it would have been mentioned as God intervening on the behalf of his unborn child. (we see this in Matthew when the Angel of the Lord comes to Joseph and tells him not to divorce Mary and later to flee to Egypt.)

The normal distance quoted is 80 miles.  There is often dispute on if they would have take the Jezreel Valley trail which cut through Samaria  (as explained above) and was often used when Jews traveled in Groups or the Jordan Valley which traveled through Jewish Territories but took a longer time but tended to be safer. Most contend if they traveled or alone or with a small party, this would have been the more probably route.

Christians in the Holy Land usually settle on trail that in the Jordan Valley known as the Nativity Trail.  Mary and Joseph were not on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem they were going to Bethlehem under a Roman Decree. I would also assume that not everyone from Nazareth had to go to Bethlehem so it was probably just a small party. (when you consider Mary was an unmarried woman who was with child, the couple was probably ostracized and would not have been welcomed in a larger group.

The Nativity Trail passes through the towns of Nazareth, Nablus (ancient Shechem), Jericho and Bethlehem. This trail is based on traditions dating back to the 5th Century AD.  The path is 160km long (99 miles.)  If it has been good enough for the locals for 1,500 years, I'm going to go with them and say 99 miles.  I'll go with the trip taking 5-6 days with a donkey and 7-10 without the donkey!

Beautiful knife.
John McCain said:

A  little IKC under the  Christmas Tree--- "trapper, that is" LOL- As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "That's a joke, son !!"

The answers to this one warmed my heart.  A map and a tale of how they may have traveled.  I also found many different answers for the exact mileage.  I will share the one I liked best in the morning when I give the next question.  John, I laughed a good deal when I saw the little iKC under the Christmas tree!  Billy, that bark is just awesome!

Mary and Joseph journeyed from Nazareth to Bethlehem to be enrolled in the imperial census. How many miles is that? ... – They journeyed 92.5 miles 

Jan Carter said:

answer:  

A: The Celts used a golden knife to cut it down because they thought it was a gift from the Gods.

I hope you all are enjoying this as much as we are.  From Snowmen and Santas to Christmas Cards and Cowboys, our iKC home is blessed with many friends

*****Day 6*****

Q:  Mary and Joseph journeyed from Nazareth to Bethlehem to be enrolled in the imperial census. How many miles is that? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service