Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

My Dad picked these up in Japan during the Korean war(1953). I've searched and searched, but can't find any info. I did find what a person called a dragon knife that had a similar construction. My Dad never had much money so they were likely inexpensive. I think the blade is stainless and the pieces on the top and bottom of the handle appear to be  aluminum. A brass(brass color) nut is set into the top piece. No markings.  Any ideas. One other thing. What gives the blade the different color near the edge. I've heard of folding metal, but Stainless?. Well, I'm here to learn.

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bill - welcome to iKC! That's a nice pair of daggers you have there....but then I am a real sucker for Boots, Daggers, and Dirks. Yours here have a similar design to one I used to own, which is why I am commenting.

No markings what-so-ever, eh? Hmmm...Well I can't say for certain, but these look very much like those by Gutman Cutlery. Gutman, along with some other "Brand" name companies like F.A Bower and Edge imported decent but inexpensive knives like these from Japan and West Gernmany throughout the 50's, 60's, and 70's. My dagger was from the mid 50's as well, and had G.C.C.C. (Gutman Cutlery Co, NY).

That different color along the edge you ask about appears to be an acid etched hamon...replicating the edging you see on Japanese swords (Google hamon katana - lots of great images for you). Since these were made for import, this feature added a little exoticness (if that can be a word) and blade value. Today, such features are common place - much in the same way as acid-etched Damascus. But at the time, you knew by looking at the piece it was from Japan!

I sold mine back in 2015 for $125.00...namely because it was stamped G.C.C.C. and it was vintage. Quality notwithstanding, these are very collectible - particularly if we (meaning you) can confirm the manufacturer. 

Along with that, you would do well to brush up on your post-war Japanese history for the years 1945-1970. Up until 1967, Japan was baned from selling and exporting "edged weaponry", although they could produce dull-edged replica's and souveniers. However, they were allowed to manufacture under licence for export....enter Gutman, F.A. Bower and others.

So with all that, we may not have identified [yet] who the specific manufacturer is of your delicious daggers, but I think we're on the right path. As this posting gains traction, I think others within the community might be able to shed additional light onto the subject.  

I hope this helps. Thanks for sharing these - I enjoyed oggling....err...respectfully reviewing these!  :-)

Thanks for all the info. Acid etched, I would never have guessed.

Thanks again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison posted events
25 minutes ago

KnifeMaker
Andy Larrison replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
29 minutes ago
Dennis Hibar replied to Dennis Hibar's discussion A new iKC calendar and a new year of knives!
4 hours ago
George R Naugle posted photos
yesterday
George R Naugle commented on Scott King's group Vintage American Knives
yesterday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
yesterday
Jan Carter replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
yesterday
Jan Carter commented on Michael Lee Bibbey's status
yesterday
George R Naugle commented on lou gerrick's group REMINGTON KNIFE CLUB
yesterday
yesterday
Carl Bradshaw commented on Jan Carter's group Daniels Family Knife Brands
Sunday
Saturday
George R Naugle replied to Scott King's discussion What's your favorite old knife? in the group Vintage American Knives
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Blade HQ has FREE SHIPPING through 4/27 or 4/28
Friday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Friday
Michael Lee Bibbey posted a status
"Still collecting and working on knifes"
Friday

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!