Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I think we need to get a jump on this, so those people who have to plan ahead to purchase one can do so.

Let us discuss and then lockdown a pattern/design, get it priced out and ordered. Buying a knife around the winter holidays is difficult for everyone.

My vote is for a jack/mtnman/barlow-esque pattern Large (or Medium)

Stag/Bone/Burl wood

One/two blades

I would prefer Carbon blades, but an exotic SS is fine.

Views: 4477

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I quite like the mountain man option.

Also I'm wondering if it might be possible to do a completely different STYLE of knife. Like a Spyderco, or a Benchmade of some kind? You know... a more modern looking knife?

Maybe even something in supersteel like M4, M390, S90V? If the rest of the knife is cheap then the money could be spent on the bladesteel.

Jan is right, as I stated in the initial posting..

"Let us discuss and then lockdown a pattern/design, get it priced out and ordered."

She and the "Powers that be" will shop the pattern we all agree on. Should GEC win the bidding war, Jan can relay our issues with last years club knife so they can avoid the same problems. The larger the order the better our chances are to remedy any issues we have with their quality.

Alexander, I didn't think of a tactical folder, but the NEW Benchmade Volli with a M4 blade would be excellent. But then how many here can afford the $200 price tag for a premium knife.

Ivars, a fixed blade is good alternative as we are discussing a a single blade knife. I not a big fan of Skandi handles though, I do however like the Burl wood idea.

Bob you're absolutely right. Which is why I thought this discussion needed to start now rather than in the Fall. We all need to hash out a pattern that has mass appeal. Therefore, I would conclude that a slipjoint is one of the final criteria for our choice. I have plenty of tactical locking knives anyway.

Now we should narrow down the pattern and material.

Queen has the Mountainman, Folding Hunter & the S&M Kentucky Shiner, all of which are non-locking and in production this year.

GEC's offering is the 235111 Single blade Trapper (non-linerlock version of course). It is very nice.

These are just my thoughts and suggestions, We really want to hear from more members who are serious about wanting a club knife. The bigger the order the lower the price per knife.

Bob Biggs said:

Just a thought but would not a fixed or locking blade preclude those of us who buy our knives as users, ie if i a can not carry it outside my front gate why buy one ? And i believe some of your states have similar laws to ours in other parts of the world...

That Voli is quite nice. I don't know if that would form a problem for all THAT many people though. We managed to spend on a $135 knife last year.......$200 isn't all that far from there on.

Personally.....I'd prefer a lockback mountainman. Besides...for those who can't carry a locking blade. The Mountainman is too big for them as well whether it be locking or non locking. (The UK limit is 3" cutting egde).

Majority rules doesn't it? How about another run of A.G. Russell's knives? Like one of his smaller lockback barlow's? Maybe in a different handle/steel configuration? I don't know if something like that is possible. But I'm just tossing ideas up in the air here. Or maybe a Benchmade grip with M390 steel? Or a nice ZDP spyderco delica in a non-standard handle colour?

Don't get me wrong I'd love something budget friendly....but if it's not then there's a large chance I'd still get it. (And I'd prefer something special OVER something cheap)

Brad T. said:

Jan is right, as I stated in the initial posting..

"Let us discuss and then lockdown a pattern/design, get it priced out and ordered."

She and the "Powers that be" will shop the pattern we all agree on. Should GEC win the bidding war, Jan can relay our issues with last years club knife so they can avoid the same problems. The larger the order the better our chances are to remedy any issues we have with their quality.

Alexander, I didn't think of a tactical folder, but the NEW Benchmade Volli with a M4 blade would be excellent. But then how many here can afford the $200 price tag for a premium knife.

Ivars, a fixed blade is good alternative as we are discussing a a single blade knife. I not a big fan of Skandi handles though, I do however like the Burl wood idea.

Alexander,

I can't justify buying a single blade knife restricted to a 3" blade. I would prefer any knife where the primary blade is 3" or smaller have at least 1 additional blade. I would guess this would put us back at a Barlow or Jack pattern.

Maybe the 50+ who purchased the 2012 club knife should chime in. Maybe we should give there thoughts and desires more consideration. Just a thought.

No problem. I wouldn't mind a knife bigger than 3" it was more in response to Bob Biggs' comment.

Not sure that asking the opinions of the "50+" members that bought the 2012 knife would do much good.  Perhaps we should ask the 3,000+ other members, that didn't buy one, what they want.

Consider, too, that the first was the Jumbo Swell Center, the second was the Mini Folding Hunter (both single blade lockback knives) while the third was the Geppetto Whittler (the only traditional slipjoint).

There are some that will support what ever is proposed.  I've been pleased with the pattern decisions, in the past, and will support what ever pattern that is decided on for 2013.

If those 3000+ members would chime in, we could get the input we all desire. I encourage them to do so, we all may decide on a knife they would not be able to get under normal purchasing circumstances. Bulk buys of any thing specialized (ie handles & Blade steel) is more likely to happen if the quantities are right and at a discounted price.

I reserve the right to change my mind about what pattern or which Manufacturer as I just admire all sorts of knives.

J.J. Smith III said:

Not sure that asking the opinions of the "50+" members that bought the 2012 knife would do much good.  Perhaps we should ask the 3,000+ other members, that didn't buy one, what they want.

Consider, too, that the first was the Jumbo Swell Center, the second was the Mini Folding Hunter (both single blade lockback knives) while the third was the Geppetto Whittler (the only traditional slipjoint).

There are some that will support what ever is proposed.  I've been pleased with the pattern decisions, in the past, and will support what ever pattern that is decided on for 2013.

A Mountain man sounds good to but a too expensive handle might slow sales. What do ya'll think?

I know last years knife had difficulty in pre sales, a good number of folks said it was just a bit too high.  One thing about iKC, we are all collectors but we have many folks that like to use their knives.  I can think of about 50% of the 2011 knives that sold as users.  2 things I have learned over the past 2 years.  Our price point was better at about 100.00 and the knife has to appeal as a user.

Lets see if we can get some more thoughts in here

PS...I have tossed around the idea of a fixed blade many times.  I truly would love to offer this option but as far as commitments to purchase them,  The best I have ever done is 6 people.  

I am still just throwing ideas out there guys.  What do you think of a stag sodbuster type?

Passing on an idea from a member

How about an automatic? These have become more legally acceptable in the last few years.

Ken Nasworthy

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service