Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

OK got my brick started building my kiln for heat treating. My question is: what works best for heat source? I have a Propane torch and, have looked at a weed killing torch but, I am not sure if they will put out enough heat to quench the blade. So what do yall recommend for a heat source and how hot does it need to be.

Tags: heat, kiln, treat

Views: 128

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure that weed killing torch would make it hot enough. I use one and it barely kills the weed! But lets hear what our knifemaking friends say.

I would recommend propane as a fuel source.  and a Venture burner also known as a atmospheric burner to deliver the propane. 

Don,

Realize this is a pretty old thread, but curious on how things worked out for you.

I've built many forges over the years. Always interested in how others approach their builds and the results they get.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

whiteriverknives.com

Latest Activity

Kevin D posted a photo
5 hours ago
Kevin D posted an album

Chef Knives

Just a repository of a few photos of the kitchen type knives I have acquired.
6 hours ago
Kevin D commented on dead_left_knife_guy's photo
18 hours ago
David J. Palmer posted a status
"Just found where to send a friend request. So you will be getting it 10 years late"
yesterday
David J. Palmer posted a status
"What is the best way to store your knife if your don't have the original box and the paper it usually comes in?"
yesterday
George R Naugle posted a photo
Friday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted photos
Friday
Kevin D commented on dead_left_knife_guy's photo
Thursday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy commented on dead_left_knife_guy's photo
Thursday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy commented on dead_left_knife_guy's photo
Thursday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted photos
Thursday

KnifeMaker
black mamba knives posted a blog post
Wednesday
Kevin D posted photos
Tuesday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted photos
Tuesday

2021 Calendar
Randy, HHH Knives commented on Randy, HHH Knives's photo
Tuesday

2021 Calendar
Randy, HHH Knives commented on Randy, HHH Knives's photo
Tuesday

© 2026   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service