Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Show them off here.

Views: 8248

Replies to This Discussion

This Pal Blade co is from the 1930s.

Smiling Knife, Love that old Pal, it truly is from the Good Ole Days, I like a "Talking Knife" - one that has a story to tell. Wish it would tell it. Thanks for posting. Ken - the "Talking Knives"

This Group is interesting in that it can include some types not covered otherwise, based on a simple iKnife Collector search. It seems to be agreed that a Hobo knife will include eating utensils, particularly a spoon, and usually a fork as well. The best I can tell from looking at older knives that are called "picnic" knives, they include a corkscrew, as will some "camp" knives. For obvious reasons, a "scout" knife will not include a corkscrew. Of course there are many hybrids with different combinations. And, knives that are basically made for removing corks could be called a "picnic" knife. Consequently, there is a very interesting mixture that will fit well into the discussions of this group. This image is of the earliest corkscrew remover/picnic knife. One image shows how the two prongs are used. The longer one is slid along between the cork and bottle until the shorter prong has penetrated the cord. Then it is slowly twisted and pulled out.

More info...

Hi Clay,

About Scout knives and corkscrews.  There have been at least two Offical BSA Scout knives that had cork screws  (both Victorinox Swiss Army Knives) and one licensed 100th anniversary BSA knife with a corkscrew.

The BSA Vic Climber normally has the Yellow StaGlow Nylon handles with Red emblem and the Explorer was normally sold with the Red Cellidor handles.  As it is easy to swap the scales, you can find 91 mm Victorinox of any pattern with the handles.  I don't own the Explorer yet, but here is the Climber.

BSA 100th Anniversary  "Fountain" Knife was made by Frost and is essentially a modified version of the 160th Anniversary H&R Stanhope Bartender. If you look carefully you will see the label cutter (the small hawkbill) on the H&R Bartender was replaced with a cap lifter on BSA Fountain knife.  As far as I can tell the BSA never had an official Fountain knife.

I have often wondered: What good is a corkscrew? Isn't it to open wine bottles? What else? Seems like it would just get caught on everything it came into contact with.   Doesn't seem like a Scout or a Camper would have much use for one.

Clay that Korns pattern is a little beauty. Tobias, I have the Hen and Rooster but not the scout knife. Are they still available somewhere. I'm an avid collector of corkscrews so anything like that is of great interest to me. Thanks for posting them.

One part of Europe drank beer and the other drank wine. They would drink wine with every meal. A cork screw was very important on a folding knife. As for the Boy Scouts, I could not say.

Smiling Knife, that is very interesting, collecting cutlery that has a cork screw. Tobias, certainly has some nice ones there. He never fails to amaze me with his collection of cutlery. Thanks Toby.

Thanks for the comments on the Pal knife Ken. This New York Knife Co Hammer Brand also date to the 1930s. Two nail nicks are slight unusual. I love the bone scales on these older knives.

New York Knife Company actually went out of business in 1931 (Actual production ceased in the the mid 1920s. The Hammer Brand TM was acquired by Imperial in 1936.  The owner of New York knife refused to adopt newer production methods after WWI and from 1919 until its doors were finally closed, the company lost money on every knife they made. The owner had other profitable businesses so ran New York Knife almost as a hobby and a tax right-off. When the depression hit, he had no choice but to liquidate.

Smiling-Knife said:

Thanks for the comments on the Pal knife Ken. This New York Knife Co Hammer Brand also date to the 1930s. Two nail nicks are slight unusual. I love the bone scales on these older knives.

You can usually get the BSA Fountain knife on eBAy for around $25:  See:  listing 281159772054

Sometimes you can find them up for auction and might be able to snag one for less.  I think mine came in around $20.  They occasionally sell them on Cutlery Corner for around $15-$25.  Originally list price was $45.  They go for than on Amazon.

Here is the  write up for them when they first came out.

WKRW Visual Arts announces the release of a limited edition pocketknife honoring the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. The design is crafted after a 1900's soda fountain knife decorated with 24k gold accents including a Scout on a hillside. The blades are stainless steel and engraved with an individual serial number. Uniquely designed in the logo is a magnifying lens (Stanhope lens) with a picture of William D. Boyce, founder of the Boy Scouts of America.

The BSA® 100th Anniversary Collector Knife is limited to only 25,000 worldwide.

For more information and to purchase this $49.95 collector knife, visit http://wkrwknife.com.

Smiling-Knife said:

Clay that Korns pattern is a little beauty. Tobias, I have the Hen and Rooster but not the scout knife. Are they still available somewhere. I'm an avid collector of corkscrews so anything like that is of great interest to me. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the information Tobias. So that means this one was more likely made in the 1920s? Interesting.

Yes, that Bone is Gorgeous

Smiling-Knife said:

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service