Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This is a Spyderco Manbug, 2.51" closed, 1.96" blade.  Originally the handle was stainless steel bolsters and G-10 textured scales.  The blade was VG-10 (straight spine).  I stonewashed the blade and bolsters (all the metal actually).  I ground the blade spine to "cup" the tip of my index finger for detailed cutting like cutting coupons out of the paper so I can afford knife stuff. lol  I copied this shape from a Spyderco Jester knife.  I also bought the Manbug with a ZDP-189 blade and FRN (Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon) handle.  I put the ZDP blade on this handle because I like it better.  So I have my favorite steel with my favorite handle (of available options) in one knife.  I have put several different scales on the knife and this is what I put on there a couple of days ago.  White bone from scraps I had but didn't know I had. lol  I imagine more bone in this knife's future. :)  I have seen some beautiful bone in the knives I've been looking at lately.

This knife has a few scars and dings.  I'm proud of every one. :)

The scales look bigger in pictures.  Does anyone know why?  The scales are not PERFECT but they are flush with the bolsters.  Don't know what happens in the pictures but I've seen it before.  Appreciate any help on this.  It just looks crappy in the pics.

Views: 1062

Replies to This Discussion

Jack. I can hear your knife, now: "Do these white scales make my bolster look fat?" (Imagine falsetto voice)

Any woman with a weight problem will tell you that they never wear white because it makes them look even heavier. What you need to do is buy that knife a little black cocktail dress. That will slim it right down!

And, hey! No need to thank me. I'm glad to help!

Hey Ron,  How does this look?  Dress of synthetic G-10.  Along with a Fenix LD01 accessory for when the lights go out. :)

I normally carry this knife like this with the light clipped to my pocket.  I have found I use a small light as often as I use an EDC knife.  Maybe more.  The knife can either be in or out of my pocket.  When it hangs out it is a great FOB to pull the light out.  Then I use the light or knife (or both).  Very convenient EDC pair.

Ron Cooper said:

Jack. I can hear your knife, now: "Do these white scales make my bolster look fat?" (Imagine falsetto voice)

Any woman with a weight problem will tell you that they never wear white because it makes them look even heavier. What you need to do is buy that knife a little black cocktail dress. That will slim it right down!

And, hey! No need to thank me. I'm glad to help!

See -- What'd I tell ya! That little black dress is a girl's best friend!

Those black scales slimmed your Manbug right down. It looks very svelte dressed in black!

It does look slimmer.  That's amazing.  In fact I thought it looked bigger in my hand after I got the white scales on it.  The white scales aren't rounded down as much around the edges as the black ones are.  I kind of thought that was why.  Some of the scales I've had on this knife I left significantly thicker to give the knife a "fuller" feel when using it.  They didn't even look as big as the white ones.  The white bone scales are flat like the original scales.  Same thickness as the bolster.  I don't know if it has to do with the actual color or if you have put my imagination into high gear. lol

Another new set of scales on my Spyderco Manbug.  Green bone.  Check out how the flash changes the appearance.  Actually, the scales look brighter than the "without flash" pictures and not NEARLY as bright as when I used the flash.  With the flash they look more like glow in the dark material.  Someday I may learn how to take pictures so they reflect the "real life" look of what I'm photographing.  Even when I photograph my self, in the picture I look like some old guy and not the "real life" 25 year old movie star macho man that I really am. :)  Maybe this is normal.  I've heard movie stars don't really look like they do in the movies. lol

I see what you mean, Jack. The flash washed everything out. I suspect that you were too close and shot the flash pics straight-on, rather than at an angle in order to bounce the light away instead of right back into the camera lens? It appears as though your shutter lens stayed opened too long for that much light and the pic was consequently overexposed? I'm saying that not because I am a photography expert but because those look like the pictures I've taken when I've been too close to the subject and didn't allow for enough of an angle. 

But enough of me playing Sherlock Holmes with your photography. Duh! The knife looks terrific with a new set of green pants!

I'm pretty excited about Green Spydercos this morning, myself, since I'm expecting the mailman to deliver a new Green Paramilitary 2 at any moment now. Over a year and a half waiting to get my hands on one and now I am finally only a few minutes away from that becoming a reality. So, green is the color of the day for both of us. And your Manbug has never looked more handsome than right now with his new green suit!

The camera was about 5" from the knife in the first pictures. I don't know why anyone would think that's too close. :)  These are a bit farther away. Instead of using the macro setting I got farther away and zoomed in.  I think you were on to something with the "being too close". lol  I'm no photographer.  Until recently to focus I thought I had to move closer or farther away from what I was taking a picture of. lol

Congrats on the PM2.  I understand they have been REALLY hard to find for a while (unless you mortgaged the farm to buy on ebay).  Especially the limited production models.  Do you have it yet or are you still sitting in your lawn chair beside the mail box? :)  Right now it's 2:00pm.

Oops, clicked the wrong picture.  Sorry, but you have to look at it. :)

I love that bottom picture. Amazing how dogs tolerate children.

And, yep! I've got it! I'm taking some pics of it now. I had been on KnifeWorks standby list and had been waiting for more than a year and a half for this baby! Got it for what the dealer was charging, not what the sharks on Ebay were scalping them for. It is beautiful I might add. Now I have 4 Para 2's - Digicam DLC S30V, Orange CTS-XHP, Brown S35VN, and now the Green one with CTS-204P steel. It is amazing and well worth the wait. I'll have some pics up later this afternoon. Thanks for asking! 

P.S., lol I absolutely love the pic that you "mistakenly" included. I hope you make some more mistakes!

Great set of PM2's Ron.  Nice variety in blade steel also.

Wish the bottom pic had audio.  Jackson (grandson) was sitting there yelling "Tasha (dog) MOVE!".  Of course she just layed there.  I happened to catch Tasha looking at me.  I imagine her thinking "Can you get this kid away from me?  This is MY house after all because I was here first".  lol  Since I was right there Jackson didn't do what he wanted to do because he has gotten in trouble for running over animals when riding one of his riding toys. :)

Here he is, Jack! I just posted a little blurb about him over in the Spyderco Group. 

Cheers, my friend!

I like the curve of the blade .. form & function .. nice job !!!

It appears to me ....

........... that the outside edges of the steel bolsters are radius-ed more than the outside edges of the scales. The way the light reflects from these surfaces/edges give the appearance that the scales are "oversize". 

I don't "see" it as much w/ the green scales. 

However ..... could be just me.

I like your attitude ... "This knife has a few scars and dings.  I'm proud of every one. :)"

Beautiful knife.  In my opinion you can't beat Spyderco knives for knives of that "type" for lack of a better or accurate word. 90% of them lock like a bank vault right out of the box.  Once in a while I need to adjust the pivot screw to obtain a smooth opening AND a solid lock with no blade play.  I've never owned a Para2.  It just seems like I have bought around one.  Meaning it would be on a wish list but when I order I select something else.  The Dragonfly2 was another one of those.  I finally got one and all I could say is "shoulda  got one a long time ago."  I'm sure many people have the same story about many knives. :)  Heard nothing but praise for the compression lock also.  Another thing about Spyderco knives is the variety of models, locks, blade steel, handle material, etc.  Great company to deal with also.  Enough about them.  I hope you carry this one.  I don't think I could ever be a collector because I need to carry every knife I own at least once in a while.  Collectors probably need to keep some in "new" condition.  Now though I'm being drawn to the more traditional knives.  still trying to get my hands on a Queen I can carry.  My entry into this type knife seems to be languishing.  Money would solve most of that but I can't even get ONE to use. :(  lol  Gonna go look at what you wrote in the Spyderco group.  I didn't know there was one.

Ron Cooper said:

Here he is, Jack! I just posted a little blurb about him over in the Spyderco Group. 

Cheers, my friend!

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service