Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I was talking with my Grandson the other day, and I told him, "I like old knives" - he said "I like the new ones".  I shared that with my wife and she said "you gotta be old to like the old things".  Maybe she is right. I find myself more and more liking older things, sayings, buildings, guns, knives, and a large assortment of older things. Seems like things made more sense (to me anyway) in the good ole days.

So when were the good ole days?? For me (I'm 67) the good ole days were in the 60's. When it comes to knives, I like a knife that was made either before I was born (1946) or at least before I graduated from High School (1964). I graduated in Arcade, New York and was surrounded by great cutleries, and didn't even think about it at the time. How many times have I driven by the Robeson factory in Perry, NY and didn't even know it.

Anyway, I like old Knives. I like all knives, but especially the older ones. Lets use this discussion to show some-of what you may think as an older knife. Looking forward to seeing a taste of "the good ole days".

Tags: Old, Robeson, Vintage, knife, knives, older

Views: 5920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There were also some pretty cheap knives back in the day.  One of them was discussed in a thread I called "When History Meets Knife Collecting".  It was about a cheap give away penknife from Parks Dry Goods.  How can you pass on a knife that has the boast  outfitters for all mankind?

http://www.iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/when-history-meets-knif...

Remington Scout RS3333 dated in the 1930's

Tobias, That Parks Dry Goods Advertising knife is neat, wonder what date that could be???

A really nice KaBar Olean NY - strong snap - hard to date but I will say in the 40's - definitely "The Good Ole Days"

Parks Dry Goods  in Rogers Ark. was in business from 1907-1931 so we can assume the knife was made sometime during that time.

Here is another knife from around that time An inexpensive Iroquois brand Scout knife. Iroquois was an economy line of the Utica Knife company that was sold between WWI and WWII. The knife is probably from the 1930s based on the can opener.

I like old knives too Ken.  I collect folding knives, and of the roughly 200 knives I have, I have 2 new ones.  I have one Case Classic, and one Great Northern.  To me, the golden age of pocket cutlery is from the Civil War to WWI.  Not to say there weren't great pocket knives made before and after that period, but the folders I like the most, are from this time.  I do have two fixed blades, but I don't feel I need more.  I think the crash of 1929 was the beginning of the end for quality folding knives.  Hundreds of makers went under not long after that.  The '50s and '60s were dismal decades for pocket knives.  My Dad, who is 89, says that one of the main reasons most folks carried knives before WWII, is that people had to deal with horses.  There was a lot of saddle and harness cutting and punching going on, also rope and hoof issues to address.  After the automobile came in, the need to have a knife in one's pocket became less and less prudent.  I'm glad to see that there are now a few outfits producing quality folders again - mostly for the collector market - but they still don't make them quite like they used to.  I try to stay away from old knives in mint condition, because I'm afraid to touch, or carry them, for fear I will diminish their value.  To keep my knife collecting hobby fresh and interesting, I buy and sell knives quite often.  Over the years, I have probably owned four or five hundred pocket knives.  Today I'm carrying an old Lakeside Cutlery Co. ebony coke-bottle jack.  I never use the old knives. but I like to have one on me, just so I can take it out and admire it a few times a day.  The one I carry for using is a 3 inch Victorinox with a blade, file, and scissors.  I never feel bad about using and sharpening those.   

Just like you Ken I like the older knives, funny but I sell new knives too and have a growing collection of newer made stuff but all American made. Here is an old Case Mfg Little Valley knife.

Michael and Tobias - Great ole knives

Mike Botts - great write up, I feel a lot the same as you, except I don't sell knives - but we are thinking on the same lines.

Yes, I do think we are both on the same page here.  Of course Ken, you know that by Great Northern, I really mean Great Eastern.  I have always had a lousy sense of direction.

lol - of course Mike, an easy mistake. I've done much worse.

All great oldies!!

Michael, that Case Jack is fantastic!!

"Those Oldies but Goodies"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit