Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Often, i find myself researching a bunch of knives in a "lot" sale on Ebay to determine why bidders are going nuts. Sometimes, I can spot it right off. See if you can spot why this sale is climbing fast. 

Ebay Lot of knives

Tags: knife

Views: 6017

Replies to This Discussion

This old photo shows a nice display that includes a barrel knife in the center. The sign on the display says F. A. Andersson, Ostnor, Mora  then below that "Forging Shop"                         He was just one of several Mora knife makers at the time.

The caption for the photo:

Visitor Center: Finn Anders Andersson on a Stockholm Exhibition in 1897

Wonderful History right there!

Thanks Jan. I apologize for the quality of the photo. I zoomed in on the pdf version and the Barrel knife ends are just like the later ones.

Jan Carter said:

Wonderful History right there!

I am used to seeing the smaller "Mora" knives, but there's some big-uns in the center of the photo.

Wouldn't we like to find one of those? Those would have been made for slaughter houses and butchers. In the 1980s Mora became the supplier for the largest meat producer, Iowa Beef Packers, with a very large initial contract. This was a huge boost for the then troubled Mora of Sweden. 

Howard P Reynolds said:

I am used to seeing the smaller "Mora" knives, but there's some big-uns in the center of the photo.

Fascinating picture Clay and history lesson, thank you!

Thanks, Steve. Finn-Anders Andersson established his "Smidesverkstad". (forging shop) in Ostnor, Mora, Sweden in the 1860s. By the 1880s  knives of the region were being exported.                                                                                                                                              

Steve Hanner said:

Fascinating picture Clay and history lesson, thank you!

Jan, I'll say volume and the word "Case"  I think $200 was too much for the lot.  (At least it was way too much for me, considering the condition.)

I read a story told by a Swede today about a box of knives he found on a auction site. Probably Ebay over there. He told how he saw the pic of a cardboard box with a mix of knives for sale. As he perused the knives in the photo, he saw something that peaked his interest. Being a knowledgeable collector of Scandinavian knives, he immediately recognized a treasure among the otherwise less exciting knives, He explained that he didn't want to bring attention to the lot by asking questions and "quietly' made a very large bid, then sat there sweating as it ended, hoping no other collector would notice what he had. 

I won't ask that you try to identify the prize. It's obvious that tuning in on a field of collecting and being able to spot a deal very quickly can be rewarding.

A fine example of a dining kit from the 1700s I am sure the 441 USD that he paid, which was about one-sixth of his max-bid was a very good investment indeed.

I think you are on target with that Tobias but it went way to high for me to have considered it a "buy"
Tobias Gibson said:

Jan, I'll say volume and the word "Case"  I think $200 was too much for the lot.  (At least it was way too much for me, considering the condition.)

Goodness!  He did do a job of identifying that from the original pics.  Nice find!

Clay Strong said:

I read a story told by a Swede today about a box of knives he found on a auction site. Probably Ebay over there. He told how he saw the pic of a cardboard box with a mix of knives for sale. As he perused the knives in the photo, he saw something that peaked his interest. Being a knowledgeable collector of Scandinavian knives, he immediately recognized a treasure among the otherwise less exciting knives, He explained that he didn't want to bring attention to the lot by asking questions and "quietly' made a very large bid, then sat there sweating as it ended, hoping no other collector would notice what he had. 

I won't ask that you try to identify the prize. It's obvious that tuning in on a field of collecting and being able to spot a deal very quickly can be rewarding.

A fine example of a dining kit from the 1700s I am sure the 441 USD that he paid, which was about one-sixth of his max-bid was a very good investment indeed.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service