Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Case Bros. - Dark Molasses Jigged Bone

Tags: Bros., Case, Cattle, Knife, Stockman

Views: 1675

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice, he said in a low voice, hoping to disguise his jealously.

I've always felt the if the knife has a Clip and sheep foot ant the top and spay at the bottom, its a stockman.  If it replaces the spay with a punch its a cattleman.  If it replaces the the spay with a pen or second clip, its a a middleman's.

However, I know quite a few people make a cigar shaped knife, some with just two blade's even, and call it a cattlemans.

That said, It sure is a nice looking knife.  The bone looks fabulous.

I recently asked this question because I did not know if there was actually a difference or if was just what the makers called them.  Thanks for the info guys!

Craig, you sure know how to pick them! That is one fine looker there! Color is fantastic!

As Far as the Cattle Knife goes, as usual I go by Bernard levine's research;

Cattle Knives

"The Cattle Knife is a heavy duty three bladed pocket knife, ordinarily 3 5/8 or 3 3/4 inches long. Some are Junior sized, as small as 3 1/4 inckes. Others are as large as 4 1/2 inches (such as the Case 94s). A very few Cattle Knives have four blades.  

As the Name suggests, the Cattle Knife was designed for work on and around livestock. The type seems to have been introduced around 1870.

The standard Cattle Knife has the same round-ended equal-end shape as the equal-end Jack, and was probably derived from the common Jack Knife shape. At least 90% of Cattle Knives are standard equal-ends, but a few have been made in other shapes.

The master blade of a Cattle Knife is most often a spear blade, though many, including most Case Cattle Knives, have clip master blades. A few have sheepfoot master blades. The second blade is usually a spey, while the third can be a sheepfoot, pen, or punch."

i understnad that.  All are cattle knives.  What i was getting at, was when it has a spay, I've sen it refgered to as a stockman,  when it has a punch, I've always seen it called a cattleman's.  And whenit has a pen, I've alway seen it callmed a middleman or middleman's stockman.   All are int he Cattle Family, including the 2 blade cigar shaped jacks that Marbles calls as "Cattle King" Problem is, companies call knives what ever they want to call them.

What Bernard Levine has done is research what was traditionally considered and called back in the old days of the knife industry.  Sometimes it's a matter of getting back to basics. And sometimes different names are used over the many years, and then when knife collecting came into being, a lot of names started to be used that were never used in the "old days". That's why I like Levine so much. It clears the air......at least for me and many others.

For example, lets take the tactical lockback. Going back to basics, it's a single blade Jack Knife......in modern form with a new name.

Yep.  So the best thing to do is go with whatever the maker named it.  And if you don't know what that is, describe it or go with a similar pattern used by a different maker.

Yeah, using Case's name now, it's a "Stockman". I prefer Levine's traditional/original description of "Cattle Knife". 

And I still feel that Case calls it a Stockman because the average person is more familiar with the Stockman name, and many would say "What the heck is a Cattle Knife?.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service