Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I have been wanting to kill a deer with my Model 1873 Winchester so since we have doe days starting again today I took it hunting this afternoon.  Unfortunately did not see anything.  But I will try again.

My '73 is a .38-40.  I have decided to limit my self to 50 yards with it.  I want to try for a small buck or doe.  i have killed one deer so far this season.  It was an eight point buck.  I killed it with my .30-06.

You can read about it here.

http://iknifecollector.com/group/ikc-arsenal/forum/topics/bambi-is-...

This is my 1873 Winchester.  It was made in 1891.

Views: 106

Replies to This Discussion

Charles,

I am glad it is dusted off and ready for duty!  Now I want you to go get another buck!

That's a nice looking rifle Charles!

As I said I will try for a small buck or doe with it.  It is a relatively low powered round so I don't think I want to risk shooting a nice big buck with it.  I'm afraid I might lose him.

Jan Carter said:

Charles,

I am glad it is dusted off and ready for duty!  Now I want you to go get another buck!

Thanks Allan.  You can see more pictures of it and read its story here.

http://iknifecollector.com/group/ikc-arsenal/forum/topics/new-membe...
allanm said:

That's a nice looking rifle Charles!

Unfortunately nothing old and valuable like that in my collection. I had a BSA .22 LR bolt action, tube mag when I was a kid, and an uncle gave me a 9.5mm, I think Mannlicher, when I turned 18. But those ended up left behind in Africa many years ago. It's not so easy moving rifles even across neighboring African countries.

I bought a Marlin 60, laminated wood stock, tube mag, semi auto .22 LR because it was the closest I could find to what I had back then. I wish now I had bought a bolt action - but the 60 bolt action at that time was only available with a polymer stock and I really wanted wood.

I like wood stocks too Allan.  Not all of mine are wood but most are.  I have a Marlin Golden 39A Mountie lever action .22.  It is 1967 vintage.

Took the '73 out again this afternoon.  Saw one buck.  He was a four or six pointer.  Couldn't tell if he had brow tines.  If he did he was a six pointer.  He presented me with a perfect 30 or 35 yard standing broadside shot.  But I wasn't ready, I had set down my rifle and was getting ready to get out of my blind.  By the time I picked up my rifle and got ready he had made it to the fence you see in these pictures of him taken by my game camera.  He jumped the fence and was gone.  Even though I was in my blind he was so close he probably detected the movement as I was getting my rifle in position for a shot.  He didn't bolt, he just trotted off.

That's a bummer Charles - but that's so often the way it goes. You sit and watch for hours, then as you're ready packing up or walking out, they all come out to laugh at you. :-)

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service