Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Often, i find myself researching a bunch of knives in a "lot" sale on Ebay to determine why bidders are going nuts. Sometimes, I can spot it right off. See if you can spot why this sale is climbing fast. 

Ebay Lot of knives

Tags: knife

Views: 6017

Replies to This Discussion

Its probably that Swedish Barrel knife which usually bring loads of attention and bids.

Here is a link t one selling individually.

eBay Swedish Barrel knife

That's what I thought. They do go for upwards of $200 quite often. But I wonder if there is yet another sleeper? What is the large one at the top?  

Wayne Whitted said:

Its probably that Swedish Barrell knife which usually bring loads of attention and bids.

That large one at the top looks rough, has a bent and broken tip and is not marked on the tang which tells me it is probably either a handmade knife from an old bayonet or just another junker that makes you look twice to be sure.

The barrel knife looks in great shape!

Clay Strong said:

That's what I thought. They do go for upwards of $200 quite often. But I wonder if there is yet another sleeper? What is the large one at the top?  

Wayne Whitted said:

Its probably that Swedish Barrell knife which usually bring loads of attention and bids.

Thanks for the info on barrel knives.  You never know what you don't know until you know it.  I wouldn't have given that knife a second look but I will in the future!

Winning bid:
US $133.49
10 bids ]
Someone knew what they were doing. They searched Eskiltuna both in title and description and the description pointed them to the EKA. Otherwise, they would have missed it altogether.

I just did a bit of research on these because Donnie recently bought a few of them.  they are hard to research but I did find this info

The following information was obtained from an article by  Per Thoresen of Trondheim, Norway titled "BARREL KNIVES OF ESKILSTUNA".  I have also added my own observations and information garnered from handling and researching these unique pieces of cutlery.

Swedish barrel knives are a take apart fixed blade knife also known as a folding "sloyd". They have been produced  in Eskilstuna, Sweden since around the mid 19th century up until around 1952. They are gaining in popularity among an increasing number of collectors.

This guide will attempt to relate the general history and scope of manufacture as well as a description of this unusual knife in regards to how it works and the many variations that can be found.

Holmberg, Engstrom and Segerstrom are the three main manufacturers, however, there are also a number of other small manufacturers in Eskilstuna who made them as well. These other brands may be harder to find and are more of a rarity. These smaller companies also made barrel knives for the larger manufacturers to fill large orders when needed.   Cutlery firms outside of Sweden contracted with the Eskilstuna manufacturers to produce barrel knives for their own sales and these knives can be found with the names of those firms stamped on the blades or brass assembly. I recently purchased one stamped "JR TORREY WORCESTER, MASS"  on the blade, but it looks similar to a Segerstrom knife and has a dark curly birch barrel and is most likely an import from Eskilstuna. 

The three major makers in Eskilstuna of barrel knives are:

Segerstrom 1864-1925

John Engstrom 1874-1918

P.Holmberg 1900-1950

Other manufacturers to look for are:

M. Blomqvist 1876-1886

J.W. Engstrom 1864-1880

A. Halling 1870-1921

H.Hallstrom 1882-1917

Jernbolaget 1868-?

C.G. Larson 1890-1894

A.J.Westersson 1889-1905

In 1874 Hans Nilson of Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, received a US patent #149.146 for a barrel knife design. It is likely he learned how to make barrel knives in Eskilstuna and then came to the US and patented the design.

Barrel knives were also produced in Germany, England, Finland, Norway and  America.  Examples of barrel knives made by H. Boker, F. Herder, Edwards Sons & Co. of Solingen Germany, Paul Metz and F.Aldis, England and  Fiskars of Finland are documented.  I have an example of a H. Boker, however it is clearly made in Eskilstuna. Barrel knives actually made by any of these other companies will most likely have barrels made of a species of wood other than curly birch

Thanks for posting the Eskilstuna info Jan. Very helpfull for anyone thinking about collecting the Barrel Knife. 

I will have to get some better pics of them but these are what he picked up

http://www.iknifecollector.com/photo/barrells?context=latest

Thanks, Jan.  Never saw one.

This is my Eskilstuna fixed blade pre-1950 that the seller thought was a Mora. I thought it may be and it was not expensive. The blade looks like the one in the Barrel knife in the lot. And it  has the exact stamp, located in the same place, although a magnifying glass is necessary to see all of it. The blade is thick for its 3 1/8 length. OAL 6 7/8.   

I just copied and printed out an 1897 photo of a display of the products made by an early Ostnor, Mora, Sweden firm.. "Lo and Behold" there is a barrel knife in the middle of the huge display of knives. And, I  thought I would never own a barrel knife. LOL Of course that barrel knife may be the only one that was ever made in the Mora region.

The newspaper article is German and in a pdf form. so, I had to print it out to get away from pdf. Now when I get better lighting tomorrow, i will photo the knife display from the printed page and post it.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service