Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Hey Guys !

I recently purchased this knife along with 39 other real nice 70s case knives I was hoping that someone could tell me if this is what I think it is and that being a 10 dot second cut bone trapper

I would appreciate any further info on this knife and thanks in advanced

Views: 619

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,

This is a BEAUTIFUL Trapper!!! Wow!!!

It does not have Second Cut Jigging though. It has what we refer to as the "Standard" Jigging. Second Cut, looks similar to what a corn cob might look like, with horizontal lines running the length of the handle from bolster to bolster. It has jigging with the second cut grooving on top of it.

You asked what you should do with it. I am not certain as this is up to you. It is worth keeping in a collection, or selling to supplement your wallet, whichever you choose. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Great find!

Happy collecting, selling, and New Year!

Katie

Just to add to what Katie said, this is an example of second cut bone jigging-

My Case 2000 #6254 Burnt White Second Cut Bone with Case 2000 Bowtie  Shield

Very interesting, I thought that was just corn cob jigging. Learn something new every day!

Why second cut bone, bone is cut up and jigged anyway where as Stag has a surface that is sliced off the natural knobby part that makes for awesome Stag and then the second cut of the left over which has nothing but a cut surface so they jig it and call it second cut.

So why need to call bone second cut? it's all the same ,first ,second ?

Isn't the idea behind second cut bone to make it look like second cut stag, but they use the less expensive bone? And with the bone they can use different colors at times.

That's all very possible but Second Cut Stag always seemed more like worm groove but with straighter grooves. Second cut Stag should be cheaper, it doesn't have any of the coolness of first cut with all the bumps and such and it doesn't hold up as well as bone. They have Bone Stag or 6.5 bone to replicate Stag by jigging and it looks similar to Stag but holds up better in use than Stag. Stag gets all dried out and cracks so you have to oil it if you carry it and use it alot.

I don't think that second cut bone that John showed is anything like second cut stag at least the newer second cut looks more like long grooves the length of the knife, the old second cut stag is way cooler and is jigged more with a similar corn cob look.

Yeah I agree, the OLD second cut stag was cooler. But I have to say, I do like the new second cut bone look. 

Check out this link-http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/handles/jiggingpatterns.php It gives photos and names for the various jigging patterns. Max, apparently, there is a difference between a corncob jig and a second cut bone jig. Why they call it second cut is beyond me. It all comes from the same cow , if you read the link info. Maybe, they just ran out of names for their bone jigs !! .LOL

Thanks John! I always forget about all the info there!

No problem, Max - Google is now my friend ! I also love their image search feature !!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service