Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Ive been writing a blog about bait knives.  My latest review was on Buck's Clearwater 021.   It is located at:

http://iknifecollector.com/profiles/blogs/the-modern-bait-knife-con...

If you fish and if you're a Buck fan, then you should have this knife.  Heck, I'm not even a true Buck fan, but I do love fishing and this is my bait knife of choice.

The information below is the gist  of the review at the blog:

The Buck Clearwater is a solid, well-made knife.  At around $35 it is going to cost you three to four times more that your typical bait knife but it will also hold an edge better and can double as a light to medium duty camp knife. It only major drawbacks are it is somewhat large for a bait knife and the issues discussed concerning the scabbard.  (The knife rattles a bit and the lock is extremely tight)  These are minor considering the overall quality of the knife.  The fact that it is made in the United States is going to be a major consideration for some people.  For me, the forever warranty is more important.  Either way the knife was well worth the asking price. 

I have been so impressed with this knife that it has become an integral part of my tackle.  The knife has also proven quite resilient. I actually used it to cut one my favorite lures out of bramble bush that somehow got in the way of my perfect cast.  I was able to hack my way through half inch thick green limbs with no problem.   It has also made quick work of cutting small fish for bait/chum as well as cleaning and gutting fish.   In short, it could be used for a light duty camp knife with little or no problem.  I also like that the scabbard is skinny enough that it will slide easily through the  standard MOLLE attachment straps found on  fishing vest.   It is my favorite modern bait knife.

Specifications:

Name:  Clearwater Bait Knife
Brand:  Buck
Country of Manufacture:  USA
Pattern:  0021 RDS
Blade Steel:  420HC
Length, overall:  10.5 in [26.7 cm]
Length, blade:   5 in [ 12.7 cm]
Blade Style:   Modified Multi-function skinner - fine edge, serrated-scaler spine, 
Tang:  Hidden Push Tang
Handle:  Over Molded Nylon, tactile feel
Lanyard hole:  Yes (knife and scabbard)
Sheath: Molded Hard Plastic with multiple drain holes

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the review, Tobias! 

Does the knife flex well for filleting the skin off of fish, like bluegills and crappies for instance?

I have used an old Fiskars Martinni knife for years and years, but I like the idea of a good old Buck from the USA...and the serrations on the top of the spine are an interesting addition that might come in handy....

best

mqqn 

Andy, the knife has very little if any flex.  It is not designed to fillet fish.  It is really designed to cut up fish and other other boat chores.   It is more like a bird and trout knife than a fillet knife.

I recently got the Buck Mr. Crappie.   It has some pretty good flex to it but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.   This one is made in China. (The Slab Shaver)  I'm thinking of grabbing the Slab Slinger which is the USA version or the Clearwater fillet, also USA made.

Andy Moon said:

Thanks for the review, Tobias! 

Does the knife flex well for filleting the skin off of fish, like bluegills and crappies for instance?

I have used an old Fiskars Martinni knife for years and years, but I like the idea of a good old Buck from the USA...and the serrations on the top of the spine are an interesting addition that might come in handy....

best

mqqn 

Thanks! Yes, that one looks like a nice, flexible "slab slinger" lol - 

best 

mqqn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!