Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A barlow knife has one or two blade, a huge metal bolster, and a comfortable tear-drop shaped handle. the blade or blades are attached at the small end of the handle. The first barlow being made in Sheffield England in the 1600's. It was made by several American shops soon after, and has become as American  as "apple pie". George Washington was known to have a barlow knife, Mark twain referred to a "real barlow" in his tom sawyer and huckleberry finn in 1876. Barlow's have long been gifts treasured by young American boys through the ages. at least on song was written about a barlow knife.

"I been livin' here all my life, All I got is a Barlow Knife; Buck horn handle and a barlow blade, Best dang knife that ever was made."

Tags: Barlow, Pattern, barlow-knives

Views: 3602

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Ken Spielvogel on January 28, 2014 at 18:06

Nice looking additions to the collection Robert.

Reply by Robert Burris on January 28, 2014 at 18:14

Thanks Ken, the Schrade is a 1984 Heritage, Everlasting Sharp model. The Queen has aluminum bolsters and is a model #22. They are both in very good shape. I am proud to add them to my Barlow collection. I thought that there would be more members that would collect this pattern.

Reply by Ken Spielvogel on January 28, 2014 at 18:36

I have about 12 Barlows. - I love especially the Russell Barlow.

Reply by Craig Henry on January 28, 2014 at 18:43

Nice Robert!

Those Schrade Heritage Series knives were really nice knives! I used to carry a Stockman from the Heritage Series when they first came out. I used to have the whole sets (brown, red and green) with wood display boxes.

Reply by Robert Burris on January 28, 2014 at 19:00

Thanks Guys! I own about a dozen or so, of this great Barlow pattern. I try to collect mostly vintage knives but I am open to the newer ones also. I collect a few patterns and then I collect brand names after that.

Ken, I collect Barlows and I just have one of the Russell's Barlow's. I would love to own more. They are great knives.

Reply by Tom Chase on January 28, 2014 at 20:34

I have several Schrade USA Barlows, a few Ulsters, some Imperials and then I have a lot more of the Canal Street Cutlery Barlows. I was fortunate to get my hands on six of the Canal Street Cutlery PROTOTYPE Barlows and then another nine additional CSC Barlows. I just love the Barlow.

Canal Street Cutlery is the first USA Knife Manufacturer to come out with a full stainless steel Barlow pattern....pins, bolsters, liners

You guys should check them out!

Tom

Reply by Robert Burris on January 29, 2014 at 10:14

Wow Tom, looks like you have a great collection of Barlow's. Could you post some Pictures, I'm sure everyone would love to see them. We all love to look at knife pictures.

Reply by Tom Chase on January 29, 2014 at 19:09

I will gladly post pictures when I get home this weekend! Out on the road and won't get home until Friday night.

Tom

Reply by Robert Burris on January 29, 2014 at 19:13

Great Tom, we just love pictures of knives. Thanks!

Reply by Robert Burris on February 1, 2014 at 11:01

I have a Barlow pattern knife that I am trying to find out the history about. It has a large S on the bolster and has " S C Co" and "WALDEN" tang stamp. It appears to be very old but still in good condition. I know without a picture it's tough but I will post a picture later. Thanks, you guys and gals have been a great help in the past.

Reply by Tom Chase on February 1, 2014 at 11:43

Here are a couple pictures of my Barlows

Tom

Attachments:

Reply by Tom Chase on February 1, 2014 at 12:02

Here are some pictures of my Barlow gathering....I apologize in advance for my lack of photographic skills

The first picture is of the Schrade Heritage Green Bone Barlows  1983

Second: Schrade 206 Barlow, some Schrade Scrimshaws and a single blade barlow with Brass Bolster

Third: Russell Barlow Commemorative Issue 1875-1975 Blade Etch that doesn't show up in the picture #00092

Attachments:

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service