Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Boston Considers Blanket Restrictions on the sale of Pocket Knives

Its hard to believe that in this day and age we have people trying to demonize knives. In fact this is exactly what the city of Boston is trying to do. According to published reports council members in Boston are considering putting more restrictions on the sale of pocket knives to fight the high rates of knife crime in the city.

According to Knife Rights, which sent a representative to speak at the hearings, Boston lawmakers are thinking about licensing the sale of knives because there have been more than 1,300 knife attacks over the past two years. Instead of going after the criminals, the logic here is to go after the “weapon” and make it harder for people to get.

Here’s an excerpt of what Knife Rights representative and Executive Director of Gun Owners’ Action League Jim Wallace said at the hearing:

“I urge the City Council to review what it is about to do and reflect on the failures of gun control,” said Wallace. “Over a decade ago I had to testify before committees in the state house with grieving families in the background. Now I sit before you a decade later with grieving families behind me again. If you proceed down this path and get it wrong again, ten years from now we will likely repeat this scene yet again.”

The same types of restrictions didn’t seem to quell the amount of gun violence in the area. While guns have less of a practical everyday use, knives are often used for hundreds of tasks at work and home.

Wallace also pointed out that stores that sell knives already have to be licensed, have to pay a fee and are restricted from selling knives with blades longer than 2 inches to minors.

So here again you have case of blaming the item(in this case a knife) and not the person using the knife. Sound familiar? Isn't this the same as "gun" control? We would love to hear your opinion but more than that if you live in Boston, please contact your lawmakers now.

Tags: knife, laws, restrictions, rights

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This may also be a great time to support AKTI.  A grass rootsmembership is free.

About the American Knife & Tool Institute

The American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI) is a non-profit organization (501(c)6) representing all segments of the knife industry and all knife users. Formed by concerned industry leaders after considerable discussion with individual knifemakers, knife magazine publishers, and a broad section of the knife community, AKTI has been the reasonable and responsible voice of the knife community since 1998.

AKTI’s Mission

Our mission is to ensure that Americans will always be able to buy, sell, own, carry and use knives and edged tools.

http://www.akti.org/

Jan Carter said:

This may also be a great time to support AKTI. 

A grass rootsmembership is free.

AKTI’s Mission

Our mission is to ensure that Americans will always be able to buy, sell, own, carry and use knives and edged tools.

Here's a copy of the proposal. 

Attachments:

I don't know what to say......I think my head is going to explode. What garbage.

Can you believe it? Talk about infringing freedom...I am surprised we can't actually hear people screaming injustice!

Craig Henry said:

I don't know what to say......I think my head is going to explode. What garbage.

I have actually just joined up... thanks for showing me this.  I have had troubles at work with some of the new higher ups carrying around my EDC setup.  So I fully suppor this and am now a member.  People who use knifes the right way should not be punished.

D ale said:

Jan Carter said:

AKTI’s Mission

In some states now it's illegal to own replica/model guns. Kids can't play "Army" and "shoot" toy guns....they can't even draw pictures of such things. Things I did on a daily basis as a child in the 50's.

Several years ago I happened to mention to a girl who, I guess, was in her 20's that I collected knives....she asked me who I wanted to kill. I was so dumbfounded, it took me several minutes to respond.

I'm 62 years old and I do not like what the modern world has become. I wish I could find a way-back machine so I can go to where the world was a much better place.....in more ways than with just guns and knives.

I agree Craig, if you find the machine let me know before you go way back.  I want to use it after you go

A good move Kit!  The more we can do as an organization the better. This is our chosen hobby, the last thing anybody wants to do is lose this freedom of collecting what we love.

Kit Adams said:

I have actually just joined up... thanks for showing me this.  I have had troubles at work with some of the new higher ups carrying around my EDC setup.  So I fully suppor this and am now a member.  People who use knifes the right way should not be punished.

D ale said:

Jan Carter said:

AKTI’s Mission

Eaten by coyotes too!

J.J. Smith III said:

I am with you Craig and Jan on this. I mean I must say I never bought a knife "with intent to harm." As they say Mr. Peabody, set the wayback machine!

Craig Henry said:

In some states now it's illegal to own replica/model guns. Kids can't play "Army" and "shoot" toy guns....they can't even draw pictures of such things. Things I did on a daily basis as a child in the 50's.

Several years ago I happened to mention to a girl who, I guess, was in her 20's that I collected knives....she asked me who I wanted to kill. I was so dumbfounded, it took me several minutes to respond.

I'm 62 years old and I do not like what the modern world has become. I wish I could find a way-back machine so I can go to where the world was a much better place.....in more ways than with just guns and knives.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service