Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I'm in a philosophical quandary.   I collect scout/camp knives both official BSA knives as well as the not so official.   I'm more interested in the histroy than the potential value.  Obviously I will never be able to get one from every maker out there  And as well all know  there are dozens if not hundreds on makers  of cheap inexpensive camp/utility knives made over the years

I have no illusion that the "Camp King" was a cheap (even poorly) made knife but if I'm trying to build a historical collection should it include the Camp King?  Also if I'm building a historical collection should i not also have the Frost made camp knife? (Heck I already bought a Sabre Brand -Japan) and that isn't any better than the Camp-King.

As I am trying to get at least one copy of every official Boy Scout of America Camp/Utility knife, I did decide that also meant the recent Chinese made Taylor offering. So should the same philosophy apply to other globally produced brands

Also do you think knives like the Wenger Soldat and the Victorinox Pioneer which have the same blades and layout of the classic camp knife deserve to be in the collection?

all views and opinions  are appreciated and welcome.

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say certainly the Wenger as I know they are not going to be making those models any longer.

The Camp King and a few others may have been cheap knives that never gained value Tobias but in my opinion, they are still around and still in use.  That makes them worthy to me

Collecting a particular pattern is just that. In my opinion it should not make any difference who made them or where they are made.

Yes, you should include the lower quality knives into the collection.

My collection has a series of low quality knives for each pattern so the difference in quality can be seen and handled by me or anyone else wanting to do so. How do you prove the "Gem" of your collection is the best unless you have something to compare it to?

Great collection Toby.

"Also do you think knives like the Wenger Soldat and the Victorinox Pioneer which have the same blades and layout of the classic camp knife deserve to be in the collection?"

I'd say if you collect Scout/Camp/Utility knives in general, they would be included too. 

During the times years ago when I would collect certain patterns I would buy pretty much anything, cheap or more expensive. 

Which brings up the big question...

The inexpensive Camco, Camp-Masters, Kamp-Kings, etc, in excellent condition can be had for $5-10 on any given day.  But then you have the Frost made Scout knives that run around $20 and aren't nearly as good as the Rough rider at $13.  The Kissing Crane goes for $25-30 and is only marginally better than the Frost!

How can i justify buying an over-priced modern era globally produced camp knife?  

The frost is already taken care of.  The SharpKidz knife sold by SMKW was $13 and is  the same knife as the Frost BlackHills and early Double Warrior Scout knife.  I don't need to buy every Frost pattern scout knife if they are the same knife with the exception of a different color bone/tang stamp.   I'll just take the first production run SharpKidz and append it with notes.

But the Kissing Crane is a different story.  I've read the numerous reviews, I've seen the knife in person.  It ain't worth the asking price by any stretch of the imagination! I think I'll be waiting a long time before that one gets bought.

I guess you just have to decide what you really want in your collection. I've paid more than I thought some knives were worth just because I wanted them in my collection. It just depends on how much enjoyment you'll get with them in your collection.....OR, can you live without them. Where do you drawl the line in the sand when it comes to price/worth?

Lord Knows, youre right Craig.  I have a couple Scout knives already that I consider over-priced.  Had i known the quality before I bought them, they may still be on the side line like the  Kissing Crane is right now.  I'm assuming it'll be a matter of time.  Eventually I'll see it on sale for 20 cents cheaper than the asking price and jump all over it!  LOL

I think time is the key on that one Tobias.  I too have paid more than I thought I should have for something I really wanted in the collection.  I did learn a bit a bit of patience pays off, some knives on the list are those I have said "well I will find it at some point at a price I am comfortable with" LOL

I hate when I say "I can live without it" and then I keep thinking about it! LOL! OCD?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service