Welcome Home



Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Nellie! That’s exactly what ol’ college football announcer, Keith Jackson would be exclaiming!

Steel Sahlute steel brothers and sisters! 

WOW, what a knife to review!  If you’re a fan of traditional trapper style classic knives, you’ll love this knife.  If you’re a fan of today’s popular tactical style, one-hand opening knives, you’ll love this knife. It’s quite an EPIC combination.

Details -
Item# 03990
Pattern# - 5154LC CV
Made: USA
One-hand opening
Trapper w/ linerlock (trapperLock)
Thumbstud
3” Chrome Vanadium steel blade
Genuine Burnt Stag Handles
Pocket / Belt Clip
Overall Length – 7 ¼”
4 1/8” Closed
Weight: 4 ounces
Brass Liners
Nickel Silver Bolsters


The TripleF – Fit, Finish & Functionality – 9.9
What? It’s a CASE Knife….whaddaya think I’m going to say?  CASE knives are purposefully precision pieces of perfection.  Every nook and cranny of this American made knife conveys confidence.  This is vital….pay close attention.  I just noticed something.  The portion if the tang, when the knife is closed, can have a sharp edge exposed, but not on this Case knife as it has been slightly smooth or rounded as to not cause a cut or abrasion.   That’s the pursuit of perfection, and that’s what you get from Case Knives. 

Collectiblity – 10.0
Case has the largest knife collecting club in the world.  I believe it’s around 20,000 members.   People collect Case knives and pass them on…….and on…………and on.  Even broken Case knives sell on eBay.  They are the king of the snow mountain (remember playing that) as far as collectable knives are concerned.

Accessibility – 9.8
The clip and thumbstud make this a one-hand opening knife, and you know…….you must know by now, that I ALWAYS have a knife clipped to my strong side pocket for EDC! ALWAYS!

Kinks in the Armor – 9.6
One of the keys to reviewing a knife is constant handling (fondling).  Open. Close. Cut.  Repeat.  Don’t Cut.  Open. Close. Roll in hand.  Repeat.  The key in discovering the “kinks” is to accelerate the handling time as if I had owned it for 3, 5, or 10 years and knew the knife like the back of my hand. 

With that in mind, here are my little itsy-bitsy glitches.

1).  The clip.  Even though CASE KNIVES gets MEGA Steel Sahlutes for adding a clip to a traditional trapper knife so it can be carried on the pocket for easy access…..when out of the pocket the clip digs you in the palm of your hand when your executing long durations of cutting.  The tip of the clip could be flattened to eliminate this.

2). The clip.  As much as I love the clip, on the stag handle it creates too much pressure and pulling the knife from the pocket lip, lifts your entire pocket in the air about 6 inches.  I think the clip would enable easier access on the Case Bone Series knives.

3). The blade edge.  Upon opening the knife and rubbing my thumb across the blade edge, I said……..hmmmmmmmm, is that a little bur I feel?  Indeed, it was.  So, out of the box I had to apply some knife sharpening.  So, the good news is, it takes and holds and edge quite easily.  First knife, I’ve ever had to sharpen out of the box. 






Steel Sahlute Score – 9.85 Steel Sahlutes!




Thanks to the folks in the Case Castle in Bradford, PA  (
www.wrcase.com ) who sent this knife straight from the factory production floor for me to review!

Steel Sahlute!
Scott



P.S.
NEW - The Knife Slogan Coffee Mug
http://www.cafepress.com/steelbrother1.662858112

Tags: Case, clip, forum, knife, review, stag, talk, trapperlock

Views: 3196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott,

One of aspects I always enjoy in your reviews is that you tell us how you cam e to the conclusions and the processes you used.  Adding this clip is an easy turn around for the factory and I believe it will bring a few more of the folks that dont carry traditional's on board with Case.  Thanks for the review

Well, thank you Jan.  I am humbled by your comments.  I try and do my best!

Scott,

Your tell it like it is approach makes me want to take another trip to my Case dealer and pick one up. I own over 40 Case knives but only have one Trapperlock, a G-10 as ground CV that I occasionally carry. The burnt stag with clip and polished CV blade is a "must have" for my collection.

Again, great job on the review

 

.Jim Lucier

Thank you very much Jim!  I'm confident you'll treasure it, whether you use it or collect it!!|


 
James R. Lucier said:

Scott,

Your tell it like it is approach makes me want to take another trip to my Case dealer and pick one up. I own over 40 Case knives but only have one Trapperlock, a G-10 as ground CV that I occasionally carry. The burnt stag with clip and polished CV blade is a "must have" for my collection.

Again, great job on the review

 

.Jim Lucier

Good information Scott for anybody considering one of these Case knives. I believe they will be a hot commodity!

Scott....

Good job on the review.  Fred at Case sent me the Trapper Lock with Clip in Amber Bone and the Yellow CV...as well as five or six of the new TEC X line.  I am in my second month of carrying the Yellow CV.  I will be putting in my review of these two knives in an article about Traditional Vs Tactical Knives for Law Enforcement.

In carrying the Trapper Lock Clip Yellow CV I found a new EDC.  With the slicker scales I have found nothing negative.  I love the size, the way it feels clipped on my front pocket and how it feels in my hand when using.  I would not recommend Case changing the clip as it holds the knife secure and is easily hooked back in my jean pocket.  I have even carried this Trapper hooked on my back pocket.....which normally will facilitate it being lost.  It rode in my back pocket for days and never hinted in coming out.  I don't recommend carrying this small of a knife in your back pocket but this trapper seems to stay put.

I have suggested Case introduce additional single bladed knives with the features of thumb stud, pocket clip and liner lock with less expensive scales to keep the price range within the Law Enforcement community reach.  Most cops carry a $20 knife and brag about it.  I just look at them and shake my head.  I tell them, "Is your life worth $20?"  In other words, if your going to depend on a tool of your trade then invest in something you can count on to work each and every time this tool is needed.  Good job Scott.

Thanks Hog!!!



Steve"Hog"Hanner said:

Good information Scott for anybody considering one of these Case knives. I believe they will be a hot commodity!

Thank you very much Clint!  Where's your blog/site where I can follow your knife reviews?


 
Clint Thompson said:

Scott....

Good job on the review.  Fred at Case sent me the Trapper Lock with Clip in Amber Bone and the Yellow CV...as well as five or six of the new TEC X line.  I am in my second month of carrying the Yellow CV.  I will be putting in my review of these two knives in an article about Traditional Vs Tactical Knives for Law Enforcement.

In carrying the Trapper Lock Clip Yellow CV I found a new EDC.  With the slicker scales I have found nothing negative.  I love the size, the way it feels clipped on my front pocket and how it feels in my hand when using.  I would not recommend Case changing the clip as it holds the knife secure and is easily hooked back in my jean pocket.  I have even carried this Trapper hooked on my back pocket.....which normally will facilitate it being lost.  It rode in my back pocket for days and never hinted in coming out.  I don't recommend carrying this small of a knife in your back pocket but this trapper seems to stay put.

I have suggested Case introduce additional single bladed knives with the features of thumb stud, pocket clip and liner lock with less expensive scales to keep the price range within the Law Enforcement community reach.  Most cops carry a $20 knife and brag about it.  I just look at them and shake my head.  I tell them, "Is your life worth $20?"  In other words, if your going to depend on a tool of your trade then invest in something you can count on to work each and every time this tool is needed.  Good job Scott.

Scott...

I write for Knives Illustrated Magazine and have for about eleven years.  I will be finishing my article "Tactical Knives Vs Traditional Knives For Law Enforcement" next week.



Scott Rauber said:

Thank you very much Clint!  Where's your blog/site where I can follow your knife reviews?


 
Clint Thompson said:

Scott....

Good job on the review.  Fred at Case sent me the Trapper Lock with Clip in Amber Bone and the Yellow CV...as well as five or six of the new TEC X line.  I am in my second month of carrying the Yellow CV.  I will be putting in my review of these two knives in an article about Traditional Vs Tactical Knives for Law Enforcement.

In carrying the Trapper Lock Clip Yellow CV I found a new EDC.  With the slicker scales I have found nothing negative.  I love the size, the way it feels clipped on my front pocket and how it feels in my hand when using.  I would not recommend Case changing the clip as it holds the knife secure and is easily hooked back in my jean pocket.  I have even carried this Trapper hooked on my back pocket.....which normally will facilitate it being lost.  It rode in my back pocket for days and never hinted in coming out.  I don't recommend carrying this small of a knife in your back pocket but this trapper seems to stay put.

I have suggested Case introduce additional single bladed knives with the features of thumb stud, pocket clip and liner lock with less expensive scales to keep the price range within the Law Enforcement community reach.  Most cops carry a $20 knife and brag about it.  I just look at them and shake my head.  I tell them, "Is your life worth $20?"  In other words, if your going to depend on a tool of your trade then invest in something you can count on to work each and every time this tool is needed.  Good job Scott.

Yes it is a great knife. I have the one I spoke of in 2012 and another I bought on eBay with the bone handle. It was used but was like new. It had someone's initials engraved but I didn't care. I carry one or the other as a EDC. If the day ahead dictates a little heaver work, I have my Case #42945 (TB101546 SS) Carbon Fiber Backpocket which does not have the features of the two single blade trappers. If I feel the need for a larger fixed blade tactical then I have the "Tier One" which is a knife I co-designed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

John Bamford left a comment for John L. Luzietti
1 hour ago
John Bamford left a comment for Gerald Johnson
1 hour ago
Jan Carter left a comment for Joe Miller
1 hour ago
Jan Carter left a comment for David Allan Durr
1 hour ago
Syd Carr commented on Syd Carr's blog post New Hi-Carbon Kitchen Knife
19 hours ago
Jan Carter left a comment for Gerald Johnson
20 hours ago
Profile IconGerald Johnson, John L. Luzietti and R2Knives joined iKnife Collector
yesterday
2 blog posts by Syd Carr were featured
20 hours ago
Jan Carter commented on Syd Carr's blog post New Hi-Carbon Kitchen Knife
20 hours ago
Syd Carr posted blog posts
20 hours ago
J.J. Smith III left a comment for Jeremy Ray Turner
23 hours ago
Jeremy Ray Turner posted a status
"Thank You.....J.J. Smith III....John Bamford....and Jan Carter......for the warm welcome ~"
yesterday
Michael D. Mitchell posted a photo
yesterday
J.J. Smith III left a comment for Gerald Johnson
yesterday
J.J. Smith III commented on J.J. Smith III's photo
yesterday
Ken Mundhenk left a comment for R2Knives
yesterday

Reed Cutlery Company

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

CLICK TO VISIT

THE TEXAS RANGER

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

POPS KNIFE SUPPLY

JSR Sports!

gear2survive !

Click to visit

© 2020   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service