I can't find any markings on the knife itself, but the sheath seems to be distinctive. Can someone identify the maker?

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe give the tang area a bit of a rub, or try using a piece of paper and pencil to get an imprint of anything there? No markings at all will make it extremely difficult to ID. Doesn't look familiar to me, but I'll do some poking around.

I've used some metal polish and can't find anything that looks like a name. I was hoping the design on the sheath would be familiar to someone.

Thanks

Steve Scheuerman (Manx) said:

Maybe give the tang area a bit of a rub, or try using a piece of paper and pencil to get an imprint of anything there? No markings at all will make it extremely difficult to ID. Doesn't look familiar to me, but I'll do some poking around.

I may have gotten lucky here...gimme a couple minutes to run this down...

No hurry.

Steve Scheuerman (Manx) said:

I may have gotten lucky here...gimme a couple minutes to run this down...

Okay...what I am finding on this is that it was made by EG Waterman during WWII. Some were stacked leather handles, others were wood like yours. Some had the sawback spine, others did not. Some had a tang stamp of EGW with KNIFE underneath, and USA on the other side, some were made with no markings. Seems one of the only things that is somewhat constant is the bottle opener. As for the sheath, I believe this is just an after market sheath that someone used because it fit. I am unsure on the value of this since there are so many variations of it and it is hard to judge condition from a photo. Hope this helps!

It helps a lot. I would have had no idea where to start looking, and the sheaf was misleading, since I was looking for a "D".

Thank you very much.
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) said:

Okay...what I am finding on this is that it was made by EG Waterman during WWII. Some were stacked leather handles, others were wood like yours. Some had the sawback spine, others did not. Some had a tang stamp of EGW with KNIFE underneath, and USA on the other side, some were made with no markings. Seems one of the only things that is somewhat constant is the bottle opener. As for the sheath, I believe this is just an after market sheath that someone used because it fit. I am unsure on the value of this since there are so many variations of it and it is hard to judge condition from a photo. Hope this helps!

No problem. Fairly sure these were never issued to military personnel, but many took their knives with them. You'll be able to find more, I am sure, with a quick Google search. Hard part was finding the name...lol.

Great work Manx!!

Wow that was impressive Manx!  Nice work and quick!

Thanks Jan and Bryan. :-) Sometimes obtuse Google searches pay off. Always happy to help a member out!

Bill...hope you stick with us! Was good to see you in Chat yesterday.

Oh, I'm with you. I sell a lot of knives on ebay and I try to research each one. I keep a few for myyself as well.

I have seven up right now and more to come. I shall stick around.

Watermans have a dedicated fan/collector base -- I'm just not sure if refurbishing the knife is desirable or not (be conservative & don't clean it up until you find out for certain that this is the better thing to do, if you plan to sell it -- if not, do whatever you want, because it's yours).

Even from this photo, I can see some tang stamp on the ricasso, so it's there...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity


Featured
Craig Henry replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case 75 Pattern in the group Case Fans
20 minutes ago

Featured
Craig Henry replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Barlow in the group Case Fans
22 minutes ago

Featured
Craig Henry replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Canoe in the group Case Fans
23 minutes ago

Featured
Craig Henry replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Canoe in the group Case Fans
25 minutes ago
Old Guy left a comment for Michael D. Mitchell
4 hours ago

Featured
Craig Henry replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Seahorse in the group Case Fans
8 hours ago
Billy Oneale replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Seahorse in the group Case Fans
8 hours ago

Featured
Charles Sample posted a status
"Went deer hunting this morning. Saw four, three does and a little button buck fawn. The little guy was cute."
9 hours ago
Syd Carr replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Seahorse in the group Case Fans
9 hours ago
Dennis Hibar replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Seahorse in the group Case Fans
10 hours ago
Syd Carr replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Seahorse in the group Case Fans
11 hours ago
Dennis Hibar replied to Craig Henry's discussion Case Seahorse in the group Case Fans
11 hours ago
Dennis Hibar commented on Dennis Hibar's photo
11 hours ago
Dennis Hibar posted photos
11 hours ago
Old Guy added a discussion to the group Whittling / Carving knives
12 hours ago
Old Guy replied to J.J. Smith III's discussion Oar Carving Knife / Single Locker (modified Queen Cutlery 41-L, Copperhead) in the group Whittling / Carving knives
12 hours ago

Reed Cutlery Company

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

gear2survive !

KNIFE AUCTIONS

Boy's Knife is HERE

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

Click to view more

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2018   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service