Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I'll start with an easy one- You probably all have seen this tang stamp or a variation there of on a Remington knife- What does UMC stand for??

A little tougher one- What famous author mentioned a particular style knife in two of his most famous works and helped make the knife famous ?? Name the author and / or the knife ??

Views: 4340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a winner-- Congrats to Sue and also to Chris Sievert who emailed me the answer--- Buster Warenski spent anywhere from 2 years to 10 years making this knife, depending on who you believe-- Facts now--  The jade and filagree handle is encrusted with 153 emeralds (10 carats)  and 9 diamonds (5 carats) and 28 ounces of gold. Sold to a Japanese business man for 1.2 Million that he had commissioned-- Realising what he had, he immediately put it up for sale for 2.1 million-- No info on if it ever sold for that price-- Now prepare to be amazed by the artistry of Buster Warenski--

His Legacy series

The King Tut Dagger

The Fire and Ice dagger-- BTW neither the King Tut or the Fire and Ice are  cheap either-- !8kt gold and gemstone encrusted-

You're welcome. Fascinating isn't it?

New questions. What was the pugio USED FOR? What's the most famous historical event that involved a pugio?

i know its roman ..,  as far as most historical im not sure..  {maybe the pugio is what took out CESAR?}  i do know that the upper class would keep it n their clothing in case suicide was needed ..it was also a few times used to protect different members of the senate and ..one emperor actually r4liqueshed his PUGIO  and was ready to hand over ROME you could say .. and he was REFUSED.. lots of that come from pass rading on this knife from not at all looking for it

i found this knife a few years back looking up PUGS .. anyway i know i suppled what i coud remember..dont feel like GETTING GOOGLING!!..LOL..

awesome question!  PS-i guess i should ad that it was carried as a sidearm as well.  it became a knife of prestige and jewled ..thinner patterns were the ones believed to be carried of on the spot suicides which happened more often then most would think .

but the [pugio in the end i would say was just the most all important side arm for the roman soldier for many years..but also became a luxury item as well. thinner designs i now remember were also crafted to be easily hidden in citizens clothing.,,,ok im done

THANX AGAIN!! these are always fn!

peter force said:

Meh.  Kind of boring looking knives if toy ask me!  LOL

John McCain said:

We have a winner-- Congrats to Sue and also to Chris Sievert who emailed me the answer--- Buster Warenski spent anywhere from 2 years to 10 years making this knife, depending on who you believe-- Facts now--  The jade and filagree handle is encrusted with 153 emeralds (10 carats)  and 9 diamonds (5 carats) and 28 ounces of gold. Sold to a Japanese business man for 1.2 Million that he had commissioned-- Realising what he had, he immediately put it up for sale for 2.1 million-- No info on if it ever sold for that price-- Now prepare to be amazed by the artistry of Buster Warenski--

His Legacy series

The man is truly an artist

No doubt I need to go Hobby Lobby and get some rhinestones to so I can make a bedazzled Yeti Hacker to accompany my Sasquatch Slasher.  I've been going about my knife making all wrong!

although i have never been one for knives with jewels..boo meeee...lol.. BUT I WANT THAT KING TUT DAGGER NOW!!!!.. just awesome!

kind of knives you always gotta worry about,insure, you could feed kids with that kind of money.. {YEAH IM ENVIOUS...LOLOLOL}   ii think its neat someone is willing to commission such pieces !... as they quite possibly would never be made.. and i always like WHATS NEXT!!

peter force said:

Tobias Gibson said:

No doubt I need to go Hobby Lobby and get some rhinestones to so I can make a bedazzled Yeti Hacker to accompany my Sasquatch Slasher.  I've been going about my knife making all wrong!

Bingo! The pugio is Roman. It's descended from an ancient Spanish dagger but the Romans made it famous. It went through a lot of iterations over the centuries. Pictured is a 3rd century version with frame sheath. I think pugio means "fist" and that's where pugilist (boxer) comes from.

You described its sole purpose exactly - it was the standard sidearm of military and civilians - even middle-class and lower classes carried them. Its sole purpose was as a defensive/offensive weapon. Julius Caesar's political enemies cornered him and stabbed him over forty times with pugios. "Et tu Brutus?"

Ouch!

peter force said:

i know its roman ..,  as far as most historical im not sure..  {maybe the pugio is what took out CESAR?}  i do know that the upper class would keep it n their clothing in case suicide was needed ..it was also a few times used to protect different members of the senate and ..one emperor actually r4liqueshed his PUGIO  and was ready to hand over ROME you could say .. and he was REFUSED.. lots of that come from pass rading on this knife from not at all looking for it

i found this knife a few years back looking up PUGS .. anyway i know i suppled what i coud remember..dont feel like GETTING GOOGLING!!..LOL..

awesome question!  PS-i guess i should ad that it was carried as a sidearm as well.  it became a knife of prestige and jewled ..thinner patterns were the ones believed to be carried of on the spot suicides which happened more often then most would think .

but the [pugio in the end i would say was just the most all important side arm for the roman soldier for many years..but also became a luxury item as well. thinner designs i now remember were also crafted to be easily hidden in citizens clothing.,,,ok im done

THANX AGAIN!! these are always fn!

peter force said:

LOL< I want to see that one!

Tobias Gibson said:

Why wasn't a Dahlgren Civil War bayonet ever used on a Civil War rifle?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service