Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I got this knife as a gift.  I found it to be a very nice outdoor knife at a very affordable price.  Even though the handle was functional I wanted something else on it.  Also, I wanted to make a handle on a hidden tang knife blade which I had never done before.  Here's the story in pics.

Brand new, saber grind carbon steel blade.  Knife held in sheath by the front of the handle like a kydex sheath.  Not sure what the sheath material is but it is very acceptable.  After I'm done the sheath won't be usable for this knife because of my new handle.

After I removed the handle.  Prior to removing the handle I had ground the saber grind into a convex grind.  It's not even close to a FFG but I like the round shape more than the flat grind.  I also put a patina on the blade.

Below is after the handle material is glued to the knife.

Below is when it starts to look like a knife handle.

Finished.

This last picture is the bottom of the handle.

After I was finished I sealed it with some matt finish ceramic spray my wife had.

The handle size is good for large hands or medium hands with gloves.  I figured I'd start with it a little larger than average and I could shorten if if I wanted to.  It is comfortable to hold.

The handle material was gifted to me from a friend out of his "pile" of scraps.  Except for the yellow liner and pin material.  I bought that.  The bolster is some home made micarta my friend made and the scales are some sort of kitchen counter material he had left over and used for a handle.  He told me it seemed to work ok and it's free.  Since this was my first try at this type of handle I didn't want to spend much on the material.  Understanding this he figured (he was right) anything adequate would do and the cheaper the better.  I'm really happy with how it turned out and is now my tool bag knife.  I do need to get a cheap sheath though. Does anyone have suggestions on cheap fixed blade sheath sellers?  I'd happily pay $5 for one and anything over $10 is too much for this knife for my intended use.  Right now I have it sheathed in a custom made pizza box sheath held together with stables. :)  I put a SUPER sharp edge on it.  I have to say this steel takes and holds an edge very well.  I tried to drill a hole in the tang with some bits I have that drill through 1095 steel with no problem.  The first small bit I tried barely scratched the steel so I quit.  I only would have ruined the bits.   I have to say this steel is great IMO.  Especially on a $13 knife. :)  I feel buying more of these knives and putting a new handle on the blade is a very acceptable project.  Some blade blanks of decent steel can cost a lot more than $13.  I just cut the rubber handle off.  One day I may try cutting my own blades.

Views: 1126

Replies to This Discussion

What did you use to fill in the space between the handle plates?

I bought handle liners.  Since the tang was going to be hidden I thought about routing the inside of the handle slabs but  that would have required more skill than I have.  So the liner material was perfect.  I cut out the area in the liner for the gang to go.  I had to use two liners because one was not as thick as the blade tang.  The liners come as a set of two.

Stephen L. Corley said:

What did you use to fill in the space between the handle plates?

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service