Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Tags: Slip, collectors, forum, joint, pattern

Views: 1439

Replies to This Discussion

Comment by Gary Norton on June 8, 2011 

Yes, I forgot about bulldog. I have a red smooth bone barlow, made by GEC, with Bulldog tang stamp. Thanks for jogging my memory Billy. Memory, such a fragile thing, so easily lost, well in my case.

Jan, it would be intersting to know how many of those had a GEC tang stamp. I know 4 that do not, and one that does, the Good Old Days has a GEC tang stamp. I have sold a few of those.

Comment by Chris Stookey on July 24, 2011

As some of you may know, Queen Cutlery recently released a "The Heritage Series" for their "upscale" line of Schatt & Morgan. In short, the marketing claims that the knives are made to mirror the level of quality manufacturing done from the early 1900's. Shown here is one example; the Clip Point model with Rosewood handle scales. In simple terms, the quality of this production knife is astounding! Everything fits "tight" and each area where scales meet liners and both meet the blade tang...all magnificently tight. The knife has a wonderfully executed half-stop that works like a champ! The attention to detail on the handle is particularly impressive. The scales are beautifully sanded with all pins and the shield being perfectly flush. The blade itself is well polished in a satin finish. Grind lines are held to a minimum and the edge was sharp out of the box. I was totally impressed with this knife because I have several Schatt & Morgan knives where the quality is quite ERRATIC.

So...I was impressed enough with the knife shown above that I ordered another SxM Heritage Rosewood but this time with the Spear Point blade. The photo of this knife is shown below. Again, the quality of workmanship on the handle was superb. After that, the ERRATIC quality bug showed itself in spades. The joinery between the scales, liners and blade was sloppy. The finish of the blade was downright piss-poor with grind lines and scratches all over both faces. Last, but not least, the blade was super-dull. Sure, as a production knife, these things can happen. However, on an "upscale" brand...and a special collector's release, THEY SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. What you see in the photo is AFTER I applied a little Flitz and did a little hand-polishing. I'm not done as there are still scratches in the blade. I'm probably going to use my Dremel's polishing kit to take them out. I'll hand sharpen the blade up to par. No, I'm not going to bother to send the knife back to Queen Cutlery. I will, though, write them an email letting them know of my disappointment. Candidly, I have basic Queen model's whose quality is better than this.

Comment by Chris Stookey on August 28, 2011

Shown here is a recent release from Great Eastern Cutlery; it's the Northfield brand's Hogan with Burnt Stag handle scales and a Spear Point blade with long-pull. I really enjoy the coloration of the handle scales and the elegance of the spear point blade shape.

Shown here is another new release from Great Eastern Cutlery's Northfield brand; the Hogan in Genuine Stag handle scales and a sabre blade. The quality of this particular knife is outstanding and the handle scale's character is proudly shown (some craftsman at GEC did a GREAT job in selecting the stag for this knife).

Shown here is yet another new release from GEC...the Northfield Hogan in Genuine Stag with a beautifully executed spear point blade. What a magnificient knife!

Shown here is an awesome GEC trapper...with Burnt Stag handle scales. I really enjoy the "compact" feel of this two-bladed knife. And the quality is exemplary!

Another great GEC Northfield Hogan model...this time with Snake Wood handle scales and a Sabre blade!

Yet another great GEC Tidioute; the Hogan with Red Garnet handle scales

Comment by stephen tungate on August 28, 2011

chris those are some of the nicest stag knives i have seen in awhile. thanks for sharing them with us.i love looking at your knives they are the top of the line .keep up the good work sir.....

Comment by Billy Oneale on August 28, 2011 

Nice additions, Chris. I love the stag. I also loved the Hogan with the snakewood handle. Those were top notch.

Comment by Billy Oneale on September 9, 2011

Here is  a Robeson Torched Stag in a Gunstock Jack pattern. The knife is made by Queen Cutlery for SMKW. It is 3 5/8" in the closed position. The fit and finish of this knife is really good. Virtually no play in the blades. The backsprings are tight, yet easy to open. This is an exclusive 1 of 100 made. Queen doesn't produce the Robeson brand very often.

Comment by Robert Burris on September 10, 2011

Real nice Billy, I have a Robeson Mt. Man that is superb. They are kinda rare.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service