Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A bunch of us was having a conversation in a different discussion that brought up several questions about the state of the Knife collecting hobby.  Below are some of those questions to ponder and consider. 

Do you have a limit to how much you are willing to spend on a knife, such as a $100 threshold?  If so, why?  At what point is a knife too expensive to use as an everyday carry knife? 

Do you feel some of the knives you own are too pretty/costly to use?

Do you feel that some knives probably cost more because of how they look as opposed to their ability to get the job done? 

Do you think some of the new super steels over-priced hype?  How good does the steel in the knife really need to be?

Do you think some knife makers, including well established companies are now making knives to collect and not actually use?  Has the overall quality of their knives slipped because the company is really making knives to cut a sheet a paper and spend the rest of their life in a collector box or tin?

At what point do you feel like you’re not getting the return on your investment?   Are you willing to pay more for a USA made knife of lesser quality or same quality compared to an imported knife;  if so, how much more?

How does all of this affect the knife collecting hobby in general and your overall approach to building your collection?

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I go in stages and spurts. I presently am looking at some knives in the $40 range - US made. I would go up to 50-70. I really don't want to approach $100 just for something to look at. I have a few. I am more apt to use a 10-50 dollar knife. If a knife really catches my eye I might buy it to look at but that I the exception rather than the rule. I want only usable knives, not fancy collectibles. I have some RR and other imports that are very good quality knives and I use them in EDC.

At the present I am not looking for anymore imports, only because I have several and my interests are in other knives made in USA.

Anyway, this is a great discussion. And we can all learn from each other and compare other ideas with our own and see what works best for us

IMHO, it goes back to users and lookers-I own several of both- The most I ever paid was $279 and a few others hit over $200-The majority of my collection is in the under $100 range- The high end knives were (safe queens) -prototypes and 1 of 25 limited productions-Several of them are now valued over $1000 apiece-The only thing they ever cut was my finger-LOL-They are part of my retirement fund if the need arises.Why on earth would I want to EDC  a  prototype or short run pattern when I have a dozen less expensive ones in the same pattern and cutting characteristics?? Yes, of course, makers are designing them more for collectibilty over use.Collectors may buy 10 or 20 knives from a manufacturer, users only need one or two.For an EDC , if the steel is  able to do the job I intend for it, I could care less what steel it is-( All I care about is, does it hold an edge and will it hold up under heavy use-I'll climb off my soapbox, now !! LOL -Here are 2 prototypes that will never cut anything other than my finger, because of their value- A Bird of Paradise Case Classic Clasp Proto and a Mastadon Ivory Proto 2007 1/2 light trapper-Both valued at $ 1000 + last time I checked--

John, good points, and awesome knives, do you keep them in your new chest??

Ya know, Toby, the $100.00 price point my just be an arbitrary amount.
My usual limit is what my favorite pattern averages. Seahorses run around $70.00-75.00. I do have more expensive knives, limited run, club knives etc.
When I can carry a knife any knife, that I really like, I will.
Knife makers are definately catering to collectors and really should make users lines for folks that want to use them.
My knives are not intended to be sold. I have duplicates that will go to my girls, when I'm gone.
My most expensive "user" is my iKC whittler. I don't expect it to have any collector value, other than increasing the value of the remaining run, for the set.
Not wanting to start a US vs Global debate, but I still like my Rough Riders, for their value and overall quality.
Like John said I'll, get off the soap box now.

Ken, the Bird of Paradise Prototype and my other celluloids were only in my chest for the photo op-LOL-My celluloids go into their own display cases- Already had 2 Case Classic clasps gas to total rust- (A waterfall and a Candy Stripe) Both were notorious for gassing-I'll add one more point- I have several vintage knives I don't EDC- Doesn't matter what I paid for them or even if they were gifts-Would you hook up your collectible vintage truck to pull stumps when your newer and less valuable work truck would do the same job??

No doubt the $100 threshold is arbitrary. For a Randall collector the threshold might be $1000.  For some the threshold might be as low as $20 simply because they are on a fixed income.   I think my threshold is around a $100 simply because I already have the knives I depend on for every day use and emergency (basically knives that have proved themselves reliable in the past).   This is probably why I'm skeptical of some of the new super steels that seem to go for big bucks. 

Perhaps they don't need sharpening as often but are they harder to sharpen when it is time to sharpen them?  And if I don't need them for my every day needs or emergency needs do I need to buy them to use?  And if I'm just buying them to look at, why not buy something similar that is cheaper?  99% of the people who look at the knives I own don't know a good knife from a bad knife. 

Over and over I show my collection to people who are more interested in the $7.00 wolf knife and they show no interest in the $90 Stag handle Case  Junior Scout.  They are impressed with the $30 switchblade but ignore the Queen Proto Jack that is a one of a kind!

And the strange thing is, I have less anxiety buying the $15-30 knife as I do the $75-100 knife.   I want to buy some of the better quality knives but when the time comes I'm reminded "you can't take it with you!" Quite often when I save up for the $100 knife I  hesitate  and wind up buying 2 or 3 cheaper knives and then use the left over money to take the wife out to dinner.  The anxiety dissipates, I feel good about myself, my wife is happy, and I have new knives to enjoy! 

So often it isn't the quality of the knife or the scarcity, it is just that it was something that I came across that I liked and fit well with my other knives!   

The other thing I have noticed is that when it comes to being attached to a knife, unless it was a gift from a family member, or has some type of personal memory for me I really have no emotional attachment to the knife. This includes some my most expensive knives. Many of these knives aren't what I normally collect, they weren't presents from family members and I've never used them.  I assume they will eventually be sold or traded for something I have more interest in. When that time comes, I'm sure some of my friends on iKC will get first dibs. (but don't hold your breath - me trading or selling a knife is almost like Gollum parting with his precious!)

It seems that most of the knives that I own approach that $100 mark when I add in the cost of shipping but I use and carry them all.  I don't think I could buy a knife I wouldn't use.  I am that way about everything that I consider a "hobby".  I enjoy using my knives.  It just seems that the knives I like from GEC, Canal Street, and the Queen manufactured knives all approach that $100 figure.  If I am being honest and I saw a knife that I liked and it cost more than $100 I would most likely buy it but I would use it.  I don't think I have ever sold anything that I have collected.  I've worn things out, lost some things and given some things as gifts but I have never sold anything.  It is just not in me to buy consumables with the idea that it might increase in value.   To me its like having a rare bottle of wine or whiskey that I was able to buy for $100 a few years ago and now sells on the secondary market for $500.  I am going to drink that bottle as I just couldn't bear the thought that it might be the best bottle I would ever find and I would have missed the enjoyment if I had sold it.  So I guess I am just a consumer that collects things that I plan on consuming.  As a friend of mine once said, " If after my wife and I are gone and buried and there is $10 left after expenses are paid it is only because I made a math error."

I very seldom buy a $100 knife unless it's our iKC Knife or possibly a Custom. Simply I. Use all my knives in some capacity so I can't see the sense of spending much more than that for a knife I. May lose!

Another good point, Steve.  If a knife cost so much that I'm afraid I might break it or lose it carrying/using it, I'm not going to buy it.  That is another reason I balk at the 100 price tag!  I can appreciate some of the more expensive knives and I can see why some people buy them but it is hard for me to personally justify the expense.   I need new gutters on the house, I don't need a new knife!

The most expensive knife I have bought was my Woodmans Pal.  I have it on display and take care of it but the first thing i did with it was remove some shrubs in my back yard!  It did a splendid job and as for the new scratches on the blade, well that's just personality!  It's a keeper!

Most expensive knife that I've carried is my iKC geppetto.
Of all my Seahorses, I consider them as spares, to be used when one of the "EDCs" wears out. (Granted there are a couple that would be used as a last resort.)
I'll never carry the S/M iKC Founders whittler, my other club knives and my few limited edition/numbered knives.
Guess it all depends if you consider your knives as "tools" or something more. ( I like my tools...)

Very well said David 

David Selph said:

VIt seems that most of the knives that I own approach that $100 mark when I add in the cost of shipping but I use and carry them all.  I don't think I could buy a knife I wouldn't use.  I am that way about everything that I consider a "hobby".  I enjoy using my knives.  It just seems that the knives I like from GEC, Canal Street, and the Queen manufactured knives all approach that $100 figure.  If I am being honest and I saw a knife that I liked and it cost more than $100 I would most likely buy it but I would use it.  I don't think I have ever sold anything that I have collected.  I've worn things out, lost some things and given some things as gifts but I have never sold anything.  It is just not in me to buy consumables with the idea that it might increase in value.   To me its like having a rare bottle of wine or whiskey that I was able to buy for $100 a few years ago and now sells on the secondary market for $500.  I am going to drink that bottle as I just couldn't bear the thought that it might be the best bottle I would ever find and I would have missed the enjoyment if I had sold it.  So I guess I am just a consumer that collects things that I plan on consuming.  As a friend of mine once said, " If after my wife and I are gone and buried and there is $10 left after expenses are paid it is only because I made a math error."

I'm the world's worst knife sharpener.  All my sharpening efforts go towards keeping a few kitchen knives usable, and it produces huge amounts of frustration and cussing to get a somewhat usable edge on one.  Therefore, to me, the biggest joy of knife collecting is - You Don't Have to Sharpen Them!!!   Soon as you touch one to a stone, it loses half it's collector value.  That is justification enough to keep them wrapped up in the box, taken out once in while for photos then oiled and put away again.  Beautiful little works of art with the factory edge still on them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service